Thread: 7.62x39

7.62x39

Wife wanted to get me something for Christmas that I picked out so started looking and found a complete upper.
    It is a company out of Riverside Ca. MDXarms.com
    They are giving 10% veterans day discount and free shipping with order over $200. This is going on until midnight tonight.
    Total price on this 762x39 upper shipped came to 238.46.
    Bear Creek Premium Brown Bear 16" 7.62x39 1:10Twist Complete Upper (W/BCG/CH)

Re: 7.62x39

Carried a 7.62x39 in Iraq.

It worked.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

I used to didn't like the 7.62x39 because I thought its ballistics sucked. But it really gives up very little to the .30-30 and the .30-30 is one fine deer rifle. So the 7.62 is as good or better because it's usually in a semi auto rifle.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Does this round work through a lower that is set up for 5.56?
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain

Quote Originally Posted by DanChamberlain View Post
    I was wondering the same thing. I always thought it took a 7.62x39 specific lower and magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by DanChamberlain View Post
    I've seen both types..
    The "different" lowers I've seen, were set up to use AK mags.

From what I have read, that's the problem with 7.62x39 uppers. Getting a mag that feeds reliably
    Quote Originally Posted by Seven habits of highly effective pirates
    Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

I have several 7.62x39 rifles, but none of them are AR-15's because of the issues I have read about. It requires a special bolt face, and the width of the round makes them iffy in AR-15 magazines. Plus, bullet diameter is inconsistent, .308 to .311, which makes accuracy iffy. It appears to work well if you are willing to work on tuning it to a specific set of magazines, and ammo.

Meanwhile the .300 AAC Blackout is 90%+ of the energy of a 7.62x39, the barrels are consistent in size, it uses the .223 / 5.56 bolt face and magazines, commercial ammo is now readily available, it is easy to reload for and buy good components and most of all it is accurate in almost all guns made for it. I own two .300 BO uppers and I would not do a 7.62x39 unless I had a ton of ammo for it. It has the added bonus of being a great subsonic .308 platform if you wanted to do that and buy a suppressor for it.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings?

I really like my mini 30 tactical- 2" groups at 100 yds with a casual rest is plenty good enough for hunting deer, hogs or men- almost zero recoil and deer killing power

Upper is complete with BCG Proprietary Bolt so all I had to do was order the magazines ASC AR-15 7.62x39 10rd Stainless Steel Magazines.
    Come Christmas time will find out how well it will work. I will be using an Anderson lower.
    From what I have read this setup works fine with the 5.56 lower.

Hope it all works good for you. The 7.62X39 Russian cartridge is a pretty good one for what it was designed for. Less than a full powered battle rifle (of the time) and more than any handgun. It ain't exactly known for its "Inherent Accuracy" as they say about some cartridges, never meant to be.

Hand loads or quality factory ammo improved my SKS groups by half of what that steel cased/surplus stuff did when I tested some.

Should be a fun shooter and more than capable of keeping them outta the backyard
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!