Thread: Don't shoot the donor

Don't shoot the donor

If there is 1 steadfast rule in buying guns as project bases.... Don't shoot the donor.

The 270 with 150gr Winchester power points

The Springfield 1903 with 180gr power points. Left 1st group, right 2nd group over correcting, middle shot last shot before time ran out working windage

Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.

Re: Don't shoot the donor

The .270 HAS to become a respectable caliber no matter how well it shoots currently.

The .30-06, that is your own damn fault.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13

Neither of those would be acceptable.

Continue your project.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post
    Neither of those would be acceptable.

Continue your project.
    That's 20 year old $10 ammo, first time shooting either gun. Handloads would only make it harder to screw with them. And I have no idea if the ammo is from the same lot. 30-06 almost guaranteed is a mix of many boxes
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.

They'd be acceptable to me.

Time invested should not be over looked.

Just sayin'.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by early View Post
    They'd be acceptable to me.

Time invested should not be over looked.

Just sayin'.
    I was pleasantly surprised by the 1903 and a 4x scope. I tried some Hornady Superformance 165 SST i had a partial box of. Those were over a foot high and about a 3" group. I have a box of S&B 180gr round nose I'm gonna try as well.

Gotta git the range again today, the 270 was getting dirty and opening up before I could get the elevation right. Was a bit rushed, the range was packed with guys just blasting ARs, they made all the single shooters share a lane. I spent more time with the guy I was paired with helping him out, only to discover his scope was trashed. Hopefully mud day today will be empty
    Last edited by MileHighShooter; 11-13-2017 at 10:31 PM.

I have at least 2 30-06s that were bought as donors and then I broke that golden rule...
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

Tried out the 270 after a thorough cleaning, this time with Federal Fusion 150s. Got 4 shots around .75" I'm calling it good enough for now!

Didn't get a 100 yd pic but did get the 50

Well THAT just sucks...
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

Well THAT just sucks...
    I went and bought another box from the same lot. If I DO start loading for it...at least I have 1.5 boxes of serviceable factory ammo ready to go. Handy for last minute hunts, or after changing parts like scope mounts, or after I have it dura coated (that was the plan after having the bore opened). At the same time, a good barrel is always best for a rebore.

Or....I just leave the dang thing as is and accept the fact I have one heckuva girly gun. Its comforting having a backup up that's got available ammo anywhere in the world.

I really wanted to rebore to 338-06 or 35. But, I do have another M70 270 (classic crf) with no purpose. It WAS in considering for a cartridge I won't mention, because I don't want to get into pages of "that won't work blah blah blah" because of what uniformed gunsmiths, writers and internet posters "heard" no matter how much proof there is that it DOES work. I think the 1903 will get that duty now. And Col Whelen would approve of that platform!!
    Last edited by MileHighShooter; 11-14-2017 at 05:10 AM.

I love the 270, but it's a 130 gr caliber for me. If it's your only rifle, 150's are acceptable. Otherwise, the 3006 is better. I have both, and killed game with both. In Africa it's the preferred for many PH's when not hunting dangerous game. With a well constructed 130 gr bullet, it is a lethal caliber!
    And feel free to pile the crap on! I can take it.
    JMHO
    Last edited by bellcat; 11-14-2017 at 06:01 AM.
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain

If I had a .270 that shot 3/4" I wouldn't dare touch it. A fine rifle in a fine caliber.

As for the 03, I'd knock down that bulbous forend to a svelte schnabel and call it good. Both rifles shoot far better than any reasonable person is likely to need it.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

Even the old cup and core 130's delivered a hard hit if placed accurately.

Sayin'.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.

I had a bunch of 150s laying around. They shot pretty good. I bought more 150s, they shot better. Simple as that, the gun likes 150s.

Gene,

The 1903 has a Schnabel. Its not as slim as my M70 featherweights, but its not obese. Considering the bore it has in its future, it'll fit nicely

Quote Originally Posted by MileHighShooter View Post
    I went and bought another box from the same lot. If I DO start loading for it...at least I have 1.5 boxes of serviceable factory ammo ready to go. Handy for last minute hunts, or after changing parts like scope mounts, or after I have it dura coated (that was the plan after having the bore opened). At the same time, a good barrel is always best for a rebore.

Or....I just leave the dang thing as is and accept the fact I have one heckuva girly gun. Its comforting having a backup up that's got available ammo anywhere in the world.

I really wanted to rebore to 338-06 or 35. But, I do have another M70 270 (classic crf) with no purpose. It WAS in considering for a cartridge I won't mention, because I don't want to get into pages of "that won't work blah blah blah" because of what uniformed gunsmiths, writers and internet posters "heard" no matter how much proof there is that it DOES work. I think the 1903 will get that duty now. And Col Whelen would approve of that platform!!
    Sounds like the chips will fall into place after a little musical chairs...