Thread: Bluetooth ear protection?

Bluetooth ear protection?

Anyone use any Bluetooth ear protection that is worth a darn?
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

Re: Bluetooth ear protection?

Bluetooth connectivity and protection only or hearing protection bluetooth AND digital enhancement?
    "You miss 100% of the shots you do not take!"
    "As long as there's Lead in the air there's hope!
    " -- Ralph Adkinson(Daddy) The original Marlboro Man

any of them. Just looking at options
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

I've looked at a few of them but did not really dig deep because they are not allowed on the line at NRA events. It would have been nice to have that capability at the Worlds for the team event, this way we could have talked amongst ourselves without being overheard, but that would have required a wired system, which is expensive.

Look at Peltor.
    https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...3406908&rt=rud

https://earinc.com/product/vigor-d402-bt/ is one of the ones my kid was using shooting competitively so she could listen to music while she shot to be distracted from scores and the process. They seem to work great if you like behind the ear wear
    "You miss 100% of the shots you do not take!"
    "As long as there's Lead in the air there's hope!
    " -- Ralph Adkinson(Daddy) The original Marlboro Man

Quote Originally Posted by Pegasus View Post
    I've looked at a few of them but did not really dig deep because they are not allowed on the line at NRA events. It would have been nice to have that capability at the Worlds for the team event, this way we could have talked amongst ourselves without being overheard, but that would have required a wired system, which is expensive.

Look at Peltor.
    Just curious, why aren't they allowed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post

I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men.

Quote Originally Posted by cpj View Post
    NRA Highpower Rifle rules.

3.22 Electronic Devices – Competitors are responsible to ensure that all electronic
    communications and audio devices in their possession forward of the Ready Line are silenced and
    communication disabled.

I use electronic ear muffs when in the pits and scoring behind the line so I can hear range commands. In position is another story.
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

Look at Peltor.
    Quote Originally Posted by 41magnut View Post
    NRA Highpower Rifle rules.

3.22 Electronic Devices – Competitors are responsible to ensure that all electronic
    communications and audio devices in their possession forward of the Ready Line are silenced and
    communication disabled.

I use electronic ear muffs when in the pits and scoring behind the line so I can hear range commands. In position is another story.
    It seems that they are for team events...

3.22 Electronic Devices Competitors are responsible to ensure that all electronic communications and audio devices in their possession forward of the ready line are silenced and communication disabled.

1. (a) During team matches only, team members may communication with each other via communication devices. These communication devices must only be capable of communicating with other team members, and must not interfere with safety, range operations, or other competitors.

"Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post
    It seems that they are for team events...

[FONT="]3.22 Electronic Devices [/FONT]Competitors are responsible to ensure that all electronic communications and audio devices in their possession forward of the ready line are silenced and communication disabled.

1. (a) During team matches only, team members may communication with each other via communication devices. These communication devices must only be capable of communicating with other team members, and must not interfere with safety, range operations, or other competitors.

But they cannot be transmitting and must be wired. No transmitting device is allowed.

We had to make sure our cellphones were left in our carts behind the lines during the Worlds, they were very strict about that and at that level of competition, you don't want to make any silly mistakes.
    Last edited by Pegasus; 11-14-2017 at 02:46 AM.

The reasoning is that there must not be any communication between the competitors on the firing line and the pits or any other person during the individual events or another person not part of the approved and declared group in team events.

But they cannot be transmitting and must be wired. No transmitting device is allowed.

We had to make sure out cellphones were left in our carts behind the lines during the Worlds, they were very strict about that and at that level of competition, you don't want to make any silly mistakes.
    Aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh, got'cha. Thanks for the clarification.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

Aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh, got'cha. Thanks for the clarification.
    It's actually part of the ritual at these big matches. The big 8-man national teams set up on two adjacent firing points and immediately set down their wires for the intercom system. They usually wire up the two wind coaches and a couple more people. They can have up to 6 or 7 people on the firing point as they shoot two shooters simultaneously. For the 4-man teams, we can have up to 8 people on the team but we had only a 6-man team.

Sorry to derail the thread, I was just explaining why Bluetooth muffs are not used in competition.

The reasoning is that there must not be any communication between the competitors on the firing line and the pits or any other person during the individual events or another person not part of the approved and declared group in team events.
    Why?
    I'm not completely dense, I just don't think of ways to cheat. And my assumption is that it's to prevent cheating. Falls back the one of my favorite sayings, "they don't make rules about spitting on the sidewalk unless someone spitting on the sidewalk. "
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post

I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men.

Why?
    I'm not completely dense, I just don't think of ways to cheat. And my assumption is that it's to prevent cheating. Falls back the one of my favorite sayings, "they don't make rules about spitting on the sidewalk unless someone spitting on the sidewalk. "
    I don't know what to tell you. I've been competing for a long time and those rules have been there as far back as I can remember. The ICFRA rules are even more stringent. Like I said, at that level of competition, the rules are applied very strictly, Once every 4 years makes the Worlds medals highly coveted objects. I'm sure it's the same in other competitions at the National and World levels.

Look at Peltor.
    So back to Bluetooth hearing protection, Peltor seems to have a more reasonably priced option in the Tactical 500. Amazon sells them for about $125 and the reviews seem decent.

So back to Bluetooth hearing protection, Peltor seems to have a more reasonably priced option in the Tactical 500. Amazon sells them for about $125 and the reviews seem decent.
    Which is why I linked to Peltor early on.

Which is why I linked to Peltor early on.
    Yes, to the $575 unit. Just pointing out they have a more modestly priced unit for us mere mortals

Yes, to the $575 unit. Just pointing out they have a more modestly priced unit for us mere mortals
    I can't believe you would put a price on hearing protection.

I did not link to the other Peltor models because their NRR is ridiculously low.

And it's not like it's your money.

I can't believe you would put a price on hearing protection.

I did not link to the other Peltor models because their NRR is ridiculously low.

And it's not like it's your money.
    I'm just waiting to go completely deaf so I can just shoot without Mickey Mouse ears

Anyway I did not think 26db to be bad for outdoor shooting

I'm just waiting to go completely deaf so I can just shoot without Mickey Mouse ears

Anyway I did not think 26db to be bad for outdoor shooting
    Whatever happened to Bullsi1911?

NRR 26 is not bad. The NRR for the Peltors I saw was 24dB, maybe my eyes are going bad also.

I spend much more time on a firing line (outdoors,) with lots of rifles firing. It's even worse when the hoser next to you is shooting one of the big 30s, the bastard.

That's why I favor the highest NRR I can find.

Whatever happened to Bullsi1911?

NRR 26 is not bad. The NRR for the Peltors I saw was 24dB, maybe my eyes are going bad also.

I spend much more time on a firing line (outdoors,) with lots of rifles firing. It's even worse when the hoser next to you is shooting one of the big 30s, the bastard.

That's why I favor the highest NRR I can find.
    Amazon shows the specs at 26db. I also would like something higher if I was in a line of high power rifles going off so I get it.

bullsi1911 is probably doing that work thing. He's one of those grown up, responsible adult guys....

Amazon shows the specs at 26db. I also would like something higher if I was in a line of high power rifles going off so I get it.

bullsi1911 is probably doing that work thing. He's one of those grown up, responsible adult guys....
    Actually, I find I can post more when working than when I am having to deal with all the afterwork crap.

I ordered a pair of these to wear when I am doing stuff like mowing the lawn, using tools, shooting alone, etc... when I don't need the active hearing protection:
    https://www.amazon.com/ISOtunes-Blue...nes%2Bpro&th=1

I have been using my Howard Leight Impact Pro while doing that stuff, and it was tearing them up. Think this might save the muffs, and possibly be able to wear under the muffs to double up the ear pro when needed.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

Quote Originally Posted by bullsi1911 View Post
    Actually, I find I can post more when working than when I am having to deal with all the afterwork crap.

I ordered a pair of these to wear when I am doing stuff like mowing the lawn, using tools, shooting alone, etc... when I don't need the active hearing protection:
    https://www.amazon.com/ISOtunes-Blue...nes%2Bpro&th=1

I have been using my Howard Leight Impact Pro while doing that stuff, and it was tearing them up. Think this might save the muffs, and possibly be able to wear under the muffs to double up the ear pro when needed.
    They look pretty good. Range report when you can please! Also how do you like your Impact Pros? How long have you owned them?

I meant Impact Sport. Sorry- reading your thread had me thinking “pro”
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

Okey-dokey! Thanks anyway. The ones you picked look good

They came in. Good sound when playing back music, and definitely "mute the world" as the tagline says. They will work on Airplanes and when mowing the yard.

I give these a thumbs up.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

Quote Originally Posted by bullsi1911 View Post
    They came in. Good sound when playing back music, and definitely "mute the world" as the tagline says. They will work on Airplanes and when mowing the yard.

I give these a thumbs up.
    Hummmm, those might be a great alternative to my Bose noise cancelling set when I don’t feel like packing the big guys!