Thread: Do you use RCBS Precision Mic sets/Stoney Point/other methods

Do you use RCBS Precision Mic sets/Stoney Point/other methods

I found one in some of that stuff I inherited from my late brother. It is for 6.5X55 Swedish. Plus the Stoney Point OAL gauge with machined brass for .22/.308 and 6.5X55 Swedish.

Also, precision/competition bullet seating dies in .223 and .308 one from RCBS and one from Forester.

I have been watching videos and reading the instructions I found on how to use those tools.

I take it the RCBS Precision Mics do two things, tells you/measures where a fired piece of brass from a particular rifle have the shoulder set back to (as well as measuring a factory rd, if you wish) so you can adjust your sizing die up or down to figure how far you want to bump the shoulders? Also the Free Bore insert, will tell you/measure where a bullet hits the rifling so you can figure out the best seating depth for a particular rifles chamber.

I take it the Stoney Point gauge does that Free Bore OAL measurement too to determine where a bullets Ogive hits, but in a different way??

Oh, the 30-30 ammo I bought years ago at a Ron n Gun Club/Outdoor Rec when they quit selling guns and then ammo and had it marked down to 2 or 3 bucks a box back in 95/96. Funny because these days almost all PXs are again selling Guns n Ammo on post. I never did get around to buying a 30-30, but had it in a footlocker in the garage. Still in good shape.

I reckon I may as well starting putting this stuff to good use and take my "General" reloading to the next level and see what I can come up with.

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Re: Do you use RCBS Precision Mic sets/Stoney Point/other methods

I never tried them .223 RCBS X-dies either, but read they can keep cases from stretching as much after the initial stretch from your resizing operation.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions

Here is the other part of what the Mic does on measuring headspace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIRGXVNqnFg

FortuneCookie45LC does a good jib of 'Splaining' stuff and between his/other videos/instructions, I just may figure it out

I own both, but never really got the hang of the Precision Mic. The SP product has worked well for me for years.

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter

Go to the 17:50 video mark or so (unless you want to watch the whole set-up and measuring).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whln3B3DFAY

Quote Originally Posted by Linefinder View Post
    I own both, but never really got the hang of the Precision Mic. The SP product has worked well for me for years.

Mike
    I think I finally understand the RCBS gauge mo better. The set actually does two things. It measures the free bore you have in a particular rifle with the bolt closed on the "Dummy" cartridge looking device until it makes contact. You remove it and repeat a few times. Then you place it in the gauge and get your average readings, I got 0.022 from the scale. This told me how far on the gauge from the bolt face a bullet will engage the lands on my Savage model 12 BVSS rifle. So I can back that off with my reloads for to X amount that rifle likes best. I decided back it off to 0.010 off the lands for my reloads when I put one back in that gauge.

RCBS says it doesn't matter what bullet you decide to use, with a few exceptions. Other tools like the Stoney Point you have to measure using the exact bullet you intend to reload every time you change bullets. I had to think about that fer a spell....................

The second thing it does is measure the headspace on a rifle which allows you or helps you decide how many degrees to bump your shoulder back when resizing for a particular rifle by adjusting your die. You may want to use the die set instructions or tailor the amount for your rifle. It will tell you by you inserting 5 pieces of fired from your rifle into the the gauge and noting the readings. then add the average readings you get to the ANSI minimum and determine how you want to set the headspace for that rifle.

I haven't done that yet because my brass wasn't separtated by what rifle it was fired in, but will next time out. Then I can set the full length resizer to the headspace I want to best fit that particular rifle. Best to read the instructions several times, verify your readings a few times and compare with some of your reloads in the same caliber/factory loads and think about if what you in your readings make sense.

Last, but not least make some Dummies and do all the regular checks for your reloads like easy chambering, ejection and look for marks (Sharpies work to color the bullets) and so forth.

Nothing wrong with making reloads that are generic in nature either and you can use the above to bounce your readings off ANSI Min/Max dimensions.

I'm no expert on reloading, others on here have probably forgitted by far more than I'll ever know about reloading. Just thought I'd get my feet wet with a couple different available tools on the market and see it makes a difference for me and my rifles.

BTW, I bought RCBS Micro sets for .223 and .308 to go with the 6.5X55 I had. Amazon has a good deal on the set for .223, I think it was $27 bucks and free shipping with Prime, while other joints wanted around 50 W/O S&H. The .308 were still as low as others are on sale.....................

[QUOTE=Big Chief;697115]I found one in some of that stuff I inherited from my late brother. It is for 6.5X55 Swedish. Plus the Stoney Point OAL gauge with machined brass for .22/.308 and 6.5X55 Swedish.

Also, precision/competition bullet seating dies in .223 and .308 one from RCBS and one from Forester.

I have been watching videos and reading the instructions I found on how to use those tools.

I take it the RCBS Precision Mics do two things, tells you/measures where a fired piece of brass from a particular rifle have the shoulder set back to (as well as measuring a factory rd, if you wish) so you can adjust your sizing die up or down to figure how far you want to bump the shoulders? Also the Free Bore insert, will tell you/measure where a bullet hits the rifling so you can figure out the best seating depth for a particular rifles chamber.

I take it the Stoney Point gauge does that Free Bore OAL measurement too to determine where a bullets Ogive hits, but in a different way??

Oh, the 30-30 ammo I bought years ago at a Ron n Gun Club/Outdoor Rec when they quit selling guns and then ammo and had it marked down to 2 or 3 bucks a box back in 95/96. Funny because these days almost all PXs are again selling Guns n Ammo on post. I never did get around to buying a 30-30, but had it in a footlocker in the garage. Still in good shape.

I reckon I may as well starting putting this stuff to good use and take my "General" reloading to the next level and see what I can come up with.
    __________________________________________________ _________________________________

No I never had one of those, but I had a Lee tool, you know the old lee stuff where you loaded totally by hand and one round at a time, driving the brass into the die wth a rubber mallet which sized the case, then driving it back out with the decapping tool and also it was set up with a trimmer you put in a hand drill that inside trimmed the case necks while they were driven into the sizing die.

And it had a precision bullet seater with it with a micrometer to seat the bullet to a more precise depth. This thing made some of the most accurate ammo I have ever shot. It was called the Lee Zero Error.
    Last edited by snake284; 11-16-2017 at 12:02 AM.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

OK, the instructions fer the Precision Mic can be downloaded from this link and practically any of their other products too. I'm sure my words leave a lot to be desired. I do wish they would have splained how to read the two scales in depth or took more pics for people like me like the part where you add the readings together........

http://rcbs.com/Resources/Product-Instructions.aspx