Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 49

Thread: Another hearing protection thread

  1. #1
    Moderator Wambli Ska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Working on my tan!
    Posts
    22,955

    Another hearing protection thread

    I've been using and promoting the Howard Leight Impact Sports since just about about when they started selling them. My current pair is pretty beat up and my hearing is not getting any better so I need a replacement and would like higher protection. Anyone has any experience with their newer Impact Pro Product?



    They look really good on paper. -30db instead of 22dbs of attenuation on my current ones but they are definitely bulkier, maybe TOO bulky?

    Thoughts?
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

  2. #2
    Senior Member zorba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Merrritt Island, FL
    Posts
    13,237

    Re: Another hearing protection thread

    I think Santa's going to bring me those exact ones - 'cause they do indeed look good on paper.

    Now if they'd come out with an affordable pair with both passive AND active attenuation, that would be just ducky!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"
    "Religion can't be allowed the coercive power of government,
    government can't be allowed the 'moral' justification of religion."

  3. #3
    Senior Member LMLarsen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    7,661

    Re: Another hearing protection thread

    You know they won’t make you look like that catalog model.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.
    NRA Endowment Member

  4. #4
    Member shooter10mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    South Georgia By GOD!
    Posts
    73

    Re: Another hearing protection thread

    Because I shoot about 95% of my projectiles down the barrel of a shotgun, I prefer inner ear digital protection from EAR Inc. so as not to interfere with my move and mount. I wear the digital Plus models provided by a sponsor, and it's almost like having superman ears! https://earinc.com/product/digital-plus/
    "You miss 100% of the shots you do not take!"
    "As long as there's Lead in the air there's hope!
    " -- Ralph Adkinson(Daddy) The original Marlboro Man

  5. #5
    Moderator Wambli Ska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Working on my tan!
    Posts
    22,955

    Re: Another hearing protection thread

    Quote Originally Posted by zorba View Post
    I think Santa's going to bring me those exact ones - 'cause they do indeed look good on paper.

    Now if they'd come out with an affordable pair with both passive AND active attenuation, that would be just ducky!
    These are -30db of passive attenuation and they actively suppress anything above 82db and they do it so smoothly that many folks don't even think they work right until you shoot without them on. Hunting with them on is a joy because you can hear a mouse fart from 100 yards away.

    The original model beat just about all others I've tried over the years and are now standard equipment in my house with wife, both kids and just about all my shooting friends owning at least one set.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

  6. #6
    Moderator Wambli Ska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Working on my tan!
    Posts
    22,955

    Re: Another hearing protection thread

    Quote Originally Posted by LMLarsen View Post
    You know they won’t make you look like that catalog model.
    You mean they will not detract from my already gorgeous looks?
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

  7. #7
    Moderator Wambli Ska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Working on my tan!
    Posts
    22,955

    Re: Another hearing protection thread

    Quote Originally Posted by shooter10mm View Post
    Because I shoot about 95% of my projectiles down the barrel of a shotgun, I prefer inner ear digital protection from EAR Inc. so as not to interfere with my move and mount. I wear the digital Plus models provided by a sponsor, and it's almost like having superman ears! https://earinc.com/product/digital-plus/
    I would too if I didn't have to foot the bill myself
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

  8. #8
    Moderator Wambli Ska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Working on my tan!
    Posts
    22,955

    Re: Another hearing protection thread

    Well I pulled the trigger on them without everyone's input, sorry. Found them on Jet.com for $45 shipped!!! For that price I can afford to experiment. Range report to follow this weekend if they get here by Friday. If anyone else needs a pair follow the link below, It's WELL under MSRP.

    www.jet.com
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

  9. #9
    Senior Member snake284's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    19,631

    Re: Another hearing protection thread

    I've got a pair made by Phonak, I think the name is. I don't know right off hand what the actual decibles of the passive-active stuff is. I just know that I can hear much much better with them. In fact I wear them at all waking moments, because they're my hearing aids. They ain't cheap costing about $5,000 for the pair.

    Really, when I first got these hearing aids I was shutting them off every time I went to shoot because as well as I could hear with them I figured if I shot a high powered rifle with them on it would probably be the end of my hearing even with hearing aides, so I treated them like ear plugs. Then one day I forgot. I fired a shot at the range and forgot to turn off my hearing aids and realized after 3 or 4 rounds what I had done and that the sound of the shot was muffled. My ears didn't ring and my hearing seemed unaffected. It was evident that they wouldn't transmit sound above a safe level.

    After this I continued to shut them off until I had a chance to ask my audiologist. She told me that they do what I thought but, the company won't sell them as such because they haven't run official tests to confirm that they won't damage your hearing. But that's the thinking. I've been using them as my shooting hearing protection for about 4 years now. That might seem unwise, but in 4 years I have not seen anymore decline in my hearing.
    Last edited by snake284; 11-14-2017 at 12:28 AM.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

  10. #10
    Moderator Wambli Ska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Working on my tan!
    Posts
    22,955

    Re: Another hearing protection thread

    Hummmmm, I wonder if ALL hearing aids have noise compression technology built in...
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

  11. #11
    Senior Member knitepoet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    15,235

    Re: Another hearing protection thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post
    Hummmmm, I wonder if ALL hearing aids have noise compression technology built in...
    These days, it's a pretty safe bet
    Quote Originally Posted by Seven habits of highly effective pirates
    Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

  12. #12
    Moderator Wambli Ska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Working on my tan!
    Posts
    22,955

    Re: Another hearing protection thread

    Quote Originally Posted by knitepoet View Post
    These days, it's a pretty safe bet
    VERY interesting... Hummmmm...
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

  13. #13
    Senior Member jbp-ohio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Panama City FL
    Posts
    8,236

    Re: Another hearing protection thread

    IMHO all of the over the ear models are to bulky for a long gun.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson

  14. #14
    Senior Member zorba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Merrritt Island, FL
    Posts
    13,237

    Re: Another hearing protection thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post
    These are -30db of passive attenuation and they actively suppress anything above 82db ...
    Is it true *active* suppression or do they just turn off the amp? Don't get me wrong, with 30db passive, turning off the amp for loud noises is quite effective; but if its active suppression (invert the loud signal like is done with high end noise canceling microphones - think helicopter pilots and the like.) it would be even better.

    I'll be interested in your eval - either way I bet they're great. They're $45 on Amazon as well.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"
    "Religion can't be allowed the coercive power of government,
    government can't be allowed the 'moral' justification of religion."

  15. #15
    Moderator Wambli Ska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Working on my tan!
    Posts
    22,955

    Re: Another hearing protection thread

    Quote Originally Posted by zorba View Post
    Is it true *active* suppression or do they just turn off the amp? Don't get me wrong, with 30db passive, turning off the amp for loud noises is quite effective; but if its active suppression (invert the loud signal like is done with high end noise canceling microphones - think helicopter pilots and the like.) it would be even better.

    I'll be interested in your eval - either way I bet they're great. They're $45 on Amazon as well.
    I believe it’s active suppression. You still hear the shots but attenuated. As I said it’s really smooth, no funky clipping.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

  16. #16
    Senior Member zorba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Merrritt Island, FL
    Posts
    13,237

    Re: Another hearing protection thread

    If that's the case, that would be the "cat's meow"! Wife's gonna get me a set for Xmas I think...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"
    "Religion can't be allowed the coercive power of government,
    government can't be allowed the 'moral' justification of religion."

  17. #17
    Senior Member snake284's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    19,631

    Re: Another hearing protection thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post
    Hummmmm, I wonder if ALL hearing aids have noise compression technology built in...

    I'm thinking the modern ones do. I'm thinking this isn't specifically for shooting, but rather a safety net for most hearing aides. I mean if they didn't regulate the high end decibles you could really damage your hearing around high decible environments.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

  18. #18
    Moderator Wambli Ska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Working on my tan!
    Posts
    22,955

    Re: Another hearing protection thread

    Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    I'm thinking the modern ones do. I'm thinking this isn't specifically for shooting, but rather a safety net for most hearing aides. I mean if they didn't regulate the high end decibles you could really damage your hearing around high decible environments.
    Makes sense to me. Have to look into it because if that is the case I have basically an almost new set that I got from my FIL because his insurance gives him new ones every 2 years!
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

  19. #19
    Senior Member cpj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    MOzambique
    Posts
    34,693

    Re: Another hearing protection thread

    I'm curious if the ones you bought will have an annoying background hiss. I've got a set of Caldwells, and while they work amazingly well especially for the price, there is this hiss. Annoys the hell out of me. I wore them for 6-8 hours this past weekend while hunting. Ain't about to light off the 16" barreled 430 SJS without ear pro. And while I like the fact they amplify sound, since the mics are pointed forward, it's kind of hard to get a bearing on sound. At least for my half deaf ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post

    I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men.

  20. #20
    Moderator Wambli Ska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Working on my tan!
    Posts
    22,955

    Re: Another hearing protection thread

    Quote Originally Posted by zorba View Post
    If that's the case, that would be the "cat's meow"! Wife's gonna get me a set for Xmas I think...
    Yep just saw them on Amazon for the same price as Jet. Cool! If I like them as much as I liked their predecessors I’ll be buying another set for the wife.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

  21. #21
    Moderator Wambli Ska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Working on my tan!
    Posts
    22,955

    Re: Another hearing protection thread

    Quote Originally Posted by cpj View Post
    I'm curious if the ones you bought will have an annoying background hiss. I've got a set of Caldwells, and while they work amazingly well especially for the price, there is this hiss. Annoys the hell out of me. I wore them for 6-8 hours this past weekend while hunting. Ain't about to light off the 16" barreled 430 SJS without ear pro. And while I like the fact they amplify sound, since the mics are pointed forward, it's kind of hard to get a bearing on sound. At least for my half deaf ass.
    I have not noticed any hissing on the ones I have (assuming circuitry is the same) and because they have dual mics it’s really easy to pinpoint sound origin. I’ll know better by this weekend about these particular model.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    1,445
    I️ have had the Impact Pro since 2014 (according to Amazon). Works well though I️ question the NRR of -30. I usually double up with plugs when shooting a rifle at the bench.

    They are bulky and can get in the way depending on what is being shot.

  23. #23
    Senior Member Big Chief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    27,971

    Re: Another hearing protection thread

    Quote Originally Posted by cpj View Post
    I'm curious if the ones you bought will have an annoying background hiss. I've got a set of Caldwells, and while they work amazingly well especially for the price, there is this hiss. Annoys the hell out of me. I wore them for 6-8 hours this past weekend while hunting. Ain't about to light off the 16" barreled 430 SJS without ear pro. And while I like the fact they amplify sound, since the mics are pointed forward, it's kind of hard to get a bearing on sound. At least for my half deaf ass.
    Those Caldwells work good until they don't and start hissing and crackling when you turn on the power. They work OK as passive ones without any power. Back in TX they got irritating the way the wind used to howl. I started doubling up on the rifle range using plugs on a string and HL's. I like the HL's Compact Sport, but have a fit getting them to fit just right and stay there sometimes on the bench shootin rifles.

    Doesn't seem to matter what firing lane I pick, somebody always gets on either side of me or both with very LOUD rifles with sort bbls or muzzle brakes.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

  24. #24
    Moderator Wambli Ska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Working on my tan!
    Posts
    22,955

    Re: Another hearing protection thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Chief View Post
    Those Caldwells work good until they don't and start hissing and crackling when you turn on the power. They work OK as passive ones without any power. Back in TX they got irritating the way the wind used to howl. I started doubling up on the rifle range using plugs on a string and HL's. I like the HL's Compact Sport, but have a fit getting them to fit just right and stay there sometimes on the bench shootin rifles.

    Doesn't seem to matter what firing lane I pick, somebody always gets on either side of me or both with very LOUD rifles with sort bbls or muzzle brakes.
    The one activity I don’t tend to wear my current Howard Leights is rifle bench shooting (actually for shotgun shooting I wear plugs only). I find noise distracting when I’m trying for groups so I wear big ol passive muffs with plugs and recede into my own little universe.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

  25. #25
    Moderator Wambli Ska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Working on my tan!
    Posts
    22,955

    Re: Another hearing protection thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JKP View Post
    I️ have had the Impact Pro since 2014 (according to Amazon). Works well though I️ question the NRR of -30. I usually double up with plugs when shooting a rifle at the bench.

    They are bulky and can get in the way depending on what is being shot.
    That is good feedback. These will be used for handgun shooting about 99% of the time so bulk should not be an issue. Thanks!
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

  26. #26
    Senior Member snake284's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    19,631

    Re: Another hearing protection thread

    [QUOTE=cpj;697281]I'm curious if the ones you bought will have an annoying background hiss. I've got a set of Caldwells, and while they work amazingly well especially for the price, there is this hiss. Annoys the hell out of me. I wore them for 6-8 hours this past weekend while hunting. Ain't about to light off the 16" barreled 430 SJS without ear pro. And while I like the fact they amplify sound, since the mics are pointed forward, it's kind of hard to get a bearing on sound. At least for my half deaf ass.[/QUOTE


    I'm not sure about the caldwells but with regular hearing aides the hiss comes when they don't fit tight with a good seal. It's kind of like feed back, in fact that's exactly what it is.

    One thing about being half ass deaf, I know because I WAS half ass deaf, before I went full ass deaf, is that when you can't hear well (Haif ass deaf)you end up subjecting yourself to damaging decibels without realizing it, therefore you go toward a condition of full ass deaf.......HUH? Did you say something?

    Without these expensive but very excellent hearing enhancers I would be totally deaf, for all practical purposes. They give you a bunch of quality of life (However they are not the same as your natural ear. God is the master mechanic of the human body and no human made device will fully substitute for that). And here's another warning, try like hell to keep what you got. Do everything you can not to go more deaf. You will lose some due to age, but make it as slow as you can. Because when I was your age I still had pretty good hearing. I started really going down hill through my 50s. But even then I could get by cheap. Now I was trying like hell to keep what I had, but something known as genetics and hereditary and strong use of certain anti biotics due to a couple bouts with pneumonia got in the way and that's when I really went down hill. It's a wonder I can even hear a bomb go off nowadays. But back in my 50s I could still get by with cheap substitutes for hearing aides. If you watch it and preserve what you have and don't run into certain problems that I had the misfortune of doing you can get by almost all of your active life without having to go to the expense of buying expensive hearing enhancements.
    Last edited by snake284; 11-14-2017 at 06:33 PM.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

  27. #27
    Senior Member zorba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Merrritt Island, FL
    Posts
    13,237

    Re: Another hearing protection thread

    I need one of these:



    Too many ear infections over the years. Interestingly, I haven't had one since I moved to Florida - I'd have 3 or 4 a year in California, and that was down from 7-10!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"
    "Religion can't be allowed the coercive power of government,
    government can't be allowed the 'moral' justification of religion."

  28. #28
    Moderator Wambli Ska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Working on my tan!
    Posts
    22,955

    Re: Another hearing protection thread

    Quote Originally Posted by zorba View Post

    Too many ear infections over the years. Interestingly, I haven't had one since I moved to Florida - I'd have 3 or 4 a year in California, and that was down from 7-10!
    proof that listening to California politicians will rot your ears.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

  29. #29
    Senior Member zorba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Merrritt Island, FL
    Posts
    13,237

    Re: Another hearing protection thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post
    proof that listening to California politicians will rot your ears.
    Snort! Tell me about it.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"
    "Religion can't be allowed the coercive power of government,
    government can't be allowed the 'moral' justification of religion."

  30. #30
    Senior Member snake284's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    19,631

    Re: Another hearing protection thread

    Quote Originally Posted by zorba View Post
    I need one of these:



    Too many ear infections over the years. Interestingly, I haven't had one since I moved to Florida - I'd have 3 or 4 a year in California, and that was down from 7-10!
    If you're my age you'd need to use the bell off a Tuba.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •