Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Another hearing protection thread

Re: Another hearing protection thread

I have a pair of Phonak, but always turn them off and took them out of my ears. I'm going to try them the next time out, which I don't know when that will be, I fell Dec. 17 and broke 2 leg bones and I'm still waiting for surgery and than 2 months of rehab. If I remember I'll let everyone know.

Quote Originally Posted by big elk View Post
    I have a pair of Phonak, but always turn them off and took them out of my ears. I'm going to try them the next time out, which I don't know when that will be, I fell Dec. 17 and broke 2 leg bones and I'm still waiting for surgery and than 2 months of rehab. If I remember I'll let everyone know.
    Sorry to hear this. Hope the surgery and subsequent recovery is swift and uneventful.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....

Dang, heal up fast, Just Prayed surgery is boringly routine and you have a full speedy recovery
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by orchidman View Post
    Sorry to hear this. Hope the surgery and subsequent recovery is swift and uneventful.
    Damn! Same here!
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

OUCK, hope you heal quickly and completely
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

Just a little update on the Walkers electronic muffs I have.

I went to the range real quick with a buddy from work today during our lunch time. He had 3 guns he has not shot yet, so we went out and put a few rounds down range. This was the first time wearing the Walkers while shooting. I am IMPRESSED. Definitely recommended, especially for the $77 I paid for them on Amazon. I first wore them while watching my buddy shoot. He started with his new Baretta M9A3. Absolutely seamless and undetectable suppression of each shot. I could not tell when the ears were cancelling noise. The first few shots he fired, it sounded to me like his pistol was suppressed and I was able to hear everything normally. I let him try the Walkers while he was shooting at one point. His reactions was, "that's freaky..." I had already paired the Walkers with my phone when I put them on, so I decided to mess with him while he was shooting by starting "insane in the brain" while he was shooting. Harder to hit your target while your laughing... He shot a few magazines out of his 3 guns, then let me shoot a magazine out of each of them. I am definitely pleased with them. Again, especially for $77.

Also, it was pretty breezy out there today. I was also happy with the way the Walkers work with the wind blowing. You can, of course, still hear the wind blowing on the mics. But it was more of a muffled sound that flat out wind in your ears. You know it's there, but I didn't find it nearly as distracting as what I've had with other electronic ears. FAR better than my old cheapy Caldwells.

All things considered, even with only having been on the range through about 40-50 rounds fired with these Walkers, I recommend them to anyone who might like a good pair of electronic muffs with the Bluetooth feature.

ETA - Here's a pic of the ones I got. Also, consider this. For those who take their cell phones out while hunting; Pairing your phone with your ears eliminates the possibility of your phone ringing or a text alert going off while you're in the field hunting. The alert will go straight to your ears and not make a sound outside. Just another thought that just came to mind....

Last edited by Jay; 01-11-2018 at 10:06 PM.

Damnit Jay, you and Wambli really piss me off.

Read this thread when it first started and toyed with the idea of getting something better than the basic electronic Caldwells I have at the moment. Then I have been deliberately ignoring new posts cos I was thinking that I might get a new set of electronic muffs when I come over in May.

As a result of your latest post..............I have now ordered a set of Walkers like yours through my niece who buys heaps of stuff on Amazon and gets it shipped over here.

Thats not the end of the story however............Its a conspiracy.

Its my sisters birthday in early Feb, which is the day before mine. Last week I ordered a 'selection' case of her favourite wine ( 2 x 6 bottles of Rose from 6 different wine makers). As its summer here I figured I would give her an early birthday present so she can 'use' it while the warmer weather was here. So I gave it to her on wed.

To cut a long story short, my niece then rings my sister, tells her about our conversation with the end result being my sister rings me 30 mins later to tell me that a pair have been ordered and they will be here for my birthday.........so I am told in no uncertain terms not to buy any.

Having had my ph ring while out hunting recently I really like the idea of having the bluetooth connection to my mobile as with mum not being well, I am carrying my mobile now wherever I go............and twice it has rung when out hunting.

My question is, do they interfere with shouldering a rifle under normal hunting circumstances?

I’ve used my Leighs hunting a few times and I don’t recall them interfering at all. These Walkers do not look any bulkier. The big ones I ordered are fine at the bench too. I think they’ll be my range pair and I’ll get these Walkers for hunting.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by orchidman View Post
    Damnit Jay, you and Wambli really piss me off.

Read this thread when it first started and toyed with the idea of getting something better than the basic electronic Caldwells I have at the moment. Then I have been deliberately ignoring new posts cos I was thinking that I might get a new set of electronic muffs when I come over in May.

As a result of your latest post..............I have now ordered a set of Walkers like yours through my niece who buys heaps of stuff on Amazon and gets it shipped over here.

Thats not the end of the story however............Its a conspiracy.

Its my sisters birthday in early Feb, which is the day before mine. Last week I ordered a 'selection' case of her favourite wine ( 2 x 6 bottles of Rose from 6 different wine makers). As its summer here I figured I would give her an early birthday present so she can 'use' it while the warmer weather was here. So I gave it to her on wed.

To cut a long story short, my niece then rings my sister, tells her about our conversation with the end result being my sister rings me 30 mins later to tell me that a pair have been ordered and they will be here for my birthday.........so I am told in no uncertain terms not to buy any.

Having had my ph ring while out hunting recently I really like the idea of having the bluetooth connection to my mobile as with mum not being well, I am carrying my mobile now wherever I go............and twice it has rung when out hunting.

My question is, do they interfere with shouldering a rifle under normal hunting circumstances?
    You won't be disappointed. Based on my use of them around the house and now at the range, I have no reason to think they will not work very well when hunting. And the ability to have your phone alert while hunting and nobody but you will hear it I think will really be a big benefit.

As for your question, that's something I should have checked as one the first things I did after I got them. Unfortunately, All I have done with them so far was with handguns. When I get home from work this evening, I'll shoulder a few different rifles with them and post up my findings.

One thing I can say based on looking at them, they are pretty slim. But more importantly, the bottom of them is cut at angles that seems to be geared toward reducing interference with a rifle stock. That's my theory. I'll test that this evening.

Here's the link that I got from my Amazon previous orders. The ones shown here appear a little different than mine, but they otherwise seem to be the same thing.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The result of trying several rifles while wearing the Walkers; not one of them touched the muffs at all. As a matter of fact, only one came close to touching. All the others had enough room for me to run my fingers along the top of the stock with it shouldered and had plenty of room for my fingers to pass without touching the bottom of the muff.

Guns tested were:
    AR15 with M4 style stock
    Weatherby Vanguard in a Boyd’s featherweight thumbhole stock - only one that got close to the ears due to it being a raised cheek weld stock.
    Mossberg 500
    Stevens 200 (Savage 10)
    Savage Axis
    Marlin 917

All clear. No interference at all. Hunting or shooting from a bench, no problem. Tried standing, swinging the gun as if following a moving target and tried kneeling. Only thing I haven’t tried is prone.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Here's the link that I got from my Amazon previous orders. The ones shown here appear a little different than mine, but they otherwise seem to be the same thing.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Thats the one. Bring on Feb lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    The result of trying several rifles while wearing the Walkers; not one of them touched the muffs at all. As a matter of fact, only one came close to touching. All the others had enough room for me to run my fingers along the top of the stock with it shouldered and had plenty of room for my fingers to pass without touching the bottom of the muff.

Guns tested were:
    AR15 with M4 style stock
    Weatherby Vanguard in a Boyd’s featherweight thumbhole stock - only one that got close to the ears due to it being a raised cheek weld stock.
    Mossberg 500
    Stevens 200 (Savage 10)
    Savage Axis
    Marlin 917

All clear. No interference at all. Hunting or shooting from a bench, no problem. Tried standing, swinging the gun as if following a moving target and tried kneeling. Only thing I haven’t tried is prone.
    Excellent. Thanks for testing that. The only reason I didnt replace my Caldwells when they started giving me problems was that they were unsuitable for field use due to their bulkiness..............and everytime I shouldered my rifle they contacted the stock which, being synthetic on the Tikka's, made a hollow clunk out of all proportion to the force.

Absolutely. Glad to help. I really think you’ll enjoy them when you get them. I made the mistake of having two of them in my cart when I checked out, not noticing until I got my order confirmation. I bought $640 worth of stuff when I ordered them, so $77 didn’t register to me at the time. But now I’m glad I did. I have the second pair put away untouched in the package. I’ll either keep them stashed away for backups or give them as a gift later when something comes up and I don’t feel like going shopping. I see they’re $75 now. You’d seriously be hard pressed to find ears this good at that price.