Thread: Thoughts on Republican "Tax Reform"

Thoughts on Republican "Tax Reform"

What do you guys think about the the bills being floated by Republicans. I'm genuinely interested in what people think so I'll refrain from inserting my opinion at least for a couple days.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho

Re: Thoughts on Republican "Tax Reform"

At this point, I am not very sure. There are probably going to be winners and losers like there always is. One thing that I do know is that they aren't even trying to simplify it. That is disappointing.

I do wish they would eliminate the mortgage interest deduction entirely-- I am not a fan of subsidies that encourage people to buy more house than they can afford. And I am cool with eliminating the deduction for state and local taxes too-- let the people of that state, and not the rest of the country, bear the full burden of those taxes. For example-- Kansas shouldn't have to bear the financial burden of the idiots my fellow Michiganders elected.

I've not heard very good things about it on the media outlets I frequent. I suspect we will be the losers and the usual suspects will be the winners.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.

It's just like everything else we have gotten out of the Republicans in the past several years - a massive disappointment.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

Quote Originally Posted by Jermanator View Post
    At this point, I am not very sure. There are probably going to be winners and losers like there always is. One thing that I do know is that they aren't even trying to simplify it. That is disappointing.

I do wish they would eliminate the mortgage interest deduction entirely-- I am not a fan of subsidies that encourage people to buy more house than they can afford. And I am cool with eliminating the deduction for state and local taxes too-- let the people of that state, and not the rest of the country, bear the full burden of those taxes. For example-- Kansas shouldn't have to bear the financial burden of the idiots my fellow Michiganders elected.
    BS.
    Why in the should I pay federal tax on....tax paid? Did I get that money? Nope. The state did.
    Let's focus on lowering the amount of money SPENT, not the amount COLLECTED.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post

I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men.

Quote Originally Posted by cpj View Post
    BS.
    Why in the should I pay federal tax on....tax paid? Did I get that money? Nope. The state did.
    So you would rather pay more federal taxes than people in high tax New York City?

BS.
    Let's focus on lowering the amount of money SPENT, not the amount COLLECTED.
    THANK YOU!

That's otherwise known as "double taxation".
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"
    "Religion can't be allowed the coercive power of government,
    government can't be allowed the 'moral' justification of religion."

Quote Originally Posted by zorba View Post
    THANK YOU!

That's otherwise known as "double taxation".
    So is getting taxed from dividends you received owning corporate stock-- those were first taxed as corporate profits. So is paying sales tax on items with your after tax money, and the gas in your gas tank, the guns and ammunition you buy, the alcohol and tobacco you buy, etc.... this is where the standard exemption comes in. If you choose to elect people at a state and local level that tax the living hell out of you and your tax burden goes way beyond your standard deduction, why does it have to be my problem? How about you take it up with your state and local politicians or move somewhere else?

So again... I ask why you prefer to pay more federal taxes than someone else making the same money in NYC?

So you would rather pay more federal taxes than people in high tax New York City?
    You honestly think if they remove that exemption that they will lower taxes? If so, you're high.
    It's a small amount for me anyway. And out of principal, I'll "pay more" than New Yorkers.

And out of principal, I'll "pay more" than New Yorkers.
    'Cause you're still paying less.

You honestly think if they remove that exemption that they will lower taxes? If so, you're high.
    It's a small amount for me anyway. And out of principal, I'll "pay more" than New Yorkers.
    That is what the plan was-- raise the standard deduction and eliminate the ability to itemize mortgage interest and high state/local taxes. Winners= people that own their house with no mortgage or have a small mortgage and people in low tax states. Losers= people that have large mortgages and live in high tax states.

Go ahead and root for people that have large mortgages and live in high tax states. Go California! Go New York! Go Illinois!!!

You can do so if you wish.

Winners= people that own their house with no mortgage or have a small mortgage and people in low tax states.
    That would be a FIRST if it indeed turns out to be the case.

I'm not holding my breathe...

I would not be satisfied with any tax bill that didn't tax every person, including the poor, or cutting the taxes of everyone, including the rich. Poor folks need to pay taxes so they care about what those taxes are being spent on, and rich people have as much right to tax cuts as a poor man. Need has nothing to do with it, if we really are a capitalist country. Letting the government determine 'need' among the population is the source of most of the corruption that pisses off the billions that they confiscate from workers. Any money set aside to aid the poor should be a very public bill, done as needed (not automatic) and stringently accounted for.

So, to answer the question, no, I won't be happy with any bill that is currently being considered. It is watered down so that the faint of heart can vote for it, and designed to simply punch the ticket for those who promised it, when campaigning. In fact, every bill that has been attempted in the last year fits that criteria, and most have still failed. The Dems are dishonest and the Reps are cowards, so nothing of value comes out of Congress.

That is what the plan was-- .
    My plan was to be rich, and married to a thin hot female nymphomaniac. But here I am.

And for me, it really doesn't make eff all difference. I haven't been able to itemize in years.

Now if any of you think these worthless piece of republicans are actually going to lower your taxes, you're out of your damned mind. We are screwed with a capital F, things will NOT get better, ever. Only slowly worse.

And for me, it really doesn't make eff all difference. I haven't been able to itemize in years.
    Either have I. That is why I am rooting for a bump in the standard deduction.

Now I am looking through what the House is proposing for small business pass through income-- that looks like a disaster in the making. I am not even sure if I understand it.

Yes all the reports on TV seem to reiterate the "usual suspects benefitting" earlier in the post , although highly possible they will change their story tomorrow

I'm a fan of Trumps' original proposal. What the congress is trying to pass falls far below that proposal, therefore it is crap, IMO.
    Political correctness is a liberal degrading of the freedom of speech. George Orwell's 1984 famously incorporated the notion of limiting thought through language (see Newspeak)." Meanwhile, the beatings will continue until morale improves around here.

Now, they are reporting that the Senate bill will contain a repeal of the Obamacare mandate. I don't believe they are serious about it, nor do I believe they will pass it, if they are serious. If they did, and it survived the conference committee with the House, I would consider it a reasonable accomplishment, compared to the so-called 'work' they have been doing, up until now.

Having said all of that, I'm quite sure that the whole thing will end up disgusting me, and that Congress will take off on another extended holiday.

Quote Originally Posted by RAEIndustries View Post
    Yes all the reports on TV seem to reiterate the "usual suspects benefitting" earlier in the post , although highly possible they will change their story tomorrow
    Ok I'll chime in now. This looks to be the case. When it comes down to writing a bill that benefits the voters vs. one that benefits the donors. The donors always win. Congress has determined that they can still win office if the voters dislike them as long as the steady flow of millions still comes in from the donors. But it doesn't matter if the voters like them if the donors are upset. This is our capitalist republic owned by the highest bidders.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho

If we weren't competing in a world economy, I would say that about the corporate tax cut, but the fact of the matter is that lowering the corporate rate not only helps rich people, but helps all Americans in that our corporations are that much more competitive.

Like Linefinder said in another thread-- companies don't actually pay taxes, their customers do. 35% is hurting us. Look at all the money flowing into Ireland due to their low corporate rate? I want that money to flow here.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...at-hed-expect/

That is the theory at least. It's unlikely to actually work out like that. Ultimately companies invest if they have access to capital and profitable ventures to invest it. Taxes have a very limited impact on that other than reducing the amount of capital available for investment. Capital has been basically free for almost a decade now and companies are sitting on piles of cash. The limitation in the economy right now isn't capital, it's demand. We need more money in the hands of people who buy things with it and less money in the hands of people who have more money than they can spend.

The one exception to this is small business. As you said the details there are tough to make out. If this bill actually is significantly better for small business and not just large corporations than maybe it's ok. But it seems like that may not be the case. A real stimulating bill would completely eliminate taxes on small business below a certain threshold while keeping them reasonably high on successful businesses. Growth is driven by small business not large corporations. The tax code should reflect that if it really wants to drive growth.
    -DoctorWho

Yea right, capital gets invested into the thirsty pockets of our legislatures. You know, the ones at the Capital. It's a capital idea.

Never mind the falling bridges, traffic jams, unjust over burdened courts, blah blah blah.

Quote Originally Posted by alphasigmookie View Post
    This is our capitalist republic owned by the highest bidders.
    That is broad statement that has played pretty well for the lefties, for years. However, how much did it cost Trump to nudge out Hilary, and how much did she spend? Or how much did it cost Terry MCAuliffe to buy a win in the Va. governor race, against a populist candidate whose campaign was flat broke and completely un-funded by the Republican Party?

There is a new wave of populism that can overwhelm the establishment, on occasion. Both parties are gambling that the populists will eventually lose interest and that they will once again be able to purchase enough votes to win. What else can they do, when they don't have any accomplishments to crow about?

Dropping the corporate tax rate is going to help. Repatriating the money will help. The new brackets will be a wash. Doing away with deducting state tax is a long time coming. We have been subsidizing the high state tax states for way to long, BTW, I am in one of them 11th IIRC. Those states that keep adding taxes are where those people should look for tax relief, not low tax states. Mortgage interest deduction? It never made a lot of sense to me and since the govt. ordered the banks to make bad loans, has done more harm than good.

Reading the wapo article, corps paying down debt is even better than adding to their debt. That frees up money for long term investing like buildings.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.

Quote Originally Posted by bisley View Post
    That is broad statement that has played pretty well for the lefties, for years. However, how much did it cost Trump to nudge out Hilary, and how much did she spend? Or how much did it cost Terry MCAuliffe to buy a win in the Va. governor race, against a populist candidate whose campaign was flat broke and completely un-funded by the Republican Party?

There is a new wave of populism that can overwhelm the establishment, on occasion. Both parties are gambling that the populists will eventually lose interest and that they will once again be able to purchase enough votes to win. What else can they do, when they don't have any accomplishments to crow about?
    A repeal of the Supreme Court Citizens United decision would at least trim down the amounts of money. Sometimes I wonder if even that would help though. The power struggle between the media and the POTUS this year has been beyond anything I can even achieve perspective for. I can only predict even greater amounts of money rendering the American voter completely irrelevant.

The only thing that would do is put all of the money into PAC's again.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.