Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First deer of the season

First deer of the season

Muzzle Loader season opened yesterday and runs through Friday. Regular firearms season opens Saturday.

Decided to go this evening. With 3 minutes of legal shooting time left, a doe came out at ~35 yards. I'd heard her coming through the woods, so I was up and ready for her. Popped the 209 and sent a 300gr .429" Rainier plated HP her way. Heard the bullet slap her. She'd cleared the field by the time the 777 smoke cleared.

Started gathering my stuff and looked up just as this 3pt stepped out from the same trail. Keep in mind, he was ~ 35 yards away, I grabbed a speed loader and started reloading. Poured the majority of the75gr (by volume) of powder on the floor ... D'OH

Grabbed a second speed loader and got the powder down the bore, got another loaded sabot started then seated. Buck had looked at me in my shooting house a couple of times, and had migrated 20-25 yards across the field, still ~35-40 yards away. I get another primer in the capping tool and prime the rifle. Line up and bust him. Heard that bullet slap too.

End of shooting time alarm that I had set went off right after the shot fired. Walked out to where the doe was standing, found a blood trail with pieces of lung tissue in it. It literally ran into the blood trail of this one. I never saw them split again, and the trail lead to him laying in the back end of the field

Nephew showed up and he and I spent about an hour and a half searching in the dark. Since I knew I was running out of time to get this one to the processor before he closed. I loaded him up and left.

I'll be back out looking for the doe in the morning. With lows in the upper 30s tonight, She should still be edible

This one is a small racked 3pt, live weight is ~110-120# according to my back. Actually rather big bodied for these parts.

Right antler is a wide, almost palmated, spike. The left is a normally formed fork horn.

Oh, in case you're wondering, shooting both a spike and a doe is legal here. Just can't shoot more than 1 of either a day.

11-14-17 ML 3pt.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Seven habits of highly effective pirates
    Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Re: First deer of the season

Congratulations!
    Speed loaders don't seem so speedy sometimes.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.

First off, nice going on the first deer. Second off, what the heck is going on with that color scheme in your garage? You hire a color blind painter?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11

Congratulations. I hope you find that doe in the morning.

You look thinner. Did you lose some weight?

Quote Originally Posted by CHIRO1989 View Post
    First off, nice going on the first deer. Second off, what the heck is going on with that color scheme in your garage? You hire a color blind painter?
    1) Thank you
    2) Nope, that's the procesor's "cleaning room" I forgot to get a pic before I offloaded him

Quote Originally Posted by Jermanator View Post
    Congratulations. I hope you find that doe in the morning.

You look thinner. Did you lose some weight?
    Thank you. I hope so too
    Yes, ~40 pounds so far. Got out of the habit of eating regularly after my knee replacement back in March. Normally only eating 1 meal and a light snack a day these days.
    Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Looking good buddy. Keep it up!

Congrats
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

Thank you both

Congrats nice deer! Normally if we have to drag one for a while up and over hills they normally weigh out around 300 to 400 lbs according to our arms and shoulders!

Quote Originally Posted by knitepoet View Post
    1) Thank you
    2) Nope, that's the procesor's "cleaning room" I forgot to get a pic before I offloaded him

Thank you. I hope so too
    Yes, ~40 pounds so far. Got out of the habit of eating regularly after my knee replacement back in March. Normally only eating 1 meal and a light snack a day these days.
    Wow, quite the color scheme for such an establishment. Excellent job on the weight loss, hey
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11

Very nice, Paul. Congrats!
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

Thanks everyone

Update on the doe, took me less than 15 minutes to find her this morning.

Found a "pin head" sized speck of blood and some disturbed brush where she left the field. About 3-5 feet in, the blood trail, plus the disturbed leaves and such, got easy to follow. She was at the bottom of the hill ~100 yards off the field.

Unfortunately "critters" found her first and both hind quarters and one shoulder had been HEAVILY gnawed on
    Last edited by knitepoet; 11-15-2017 at 03:58 PM.

Excellent start to the hunting season Paul. You are having better luck than me this year. I havent managed to score since mid september despite heading for the hills 3-4 times since then. I am still waiting to blood the new knife you sent me............

Great news on the weight loss also...........by my reckoning, if you keep it up, you will completely disappear by xmas 2018!
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....

Quote Originally Posted by orchidman View Post
    Excellent start to the hunting season Paul. You are having better luck than me this year. I havent managed to score since mid september despite heading for the hills 3-4 times since then. I am still waiting to blood the new knife you sent me............
    Sorry to hear that, my friend

Quote Originally Posted by orchidman View Post

Great news on the weight loss also...........by my reckoning, if you keep it up, you will completely disappear by xmas 2018!
    thank you and That'll work

11-14-17 ML 3pt.jpg
    WWho's the guy in the photo and what did you do with Paul?
    Go Cowboys go

Unfortunately "critters" found her first and both hind quarters and one shoulder had been HEAVILY gnawed on

That's too bad, Paul.

I had to leave one out overnight once, and ravens got to it. They were all over it when I got to it the next morning. I had already gutted and quartered it, so I just cut off the meat they had been pecking on and carried out the rest in pieces.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

Yep Jerry, I don't like losing one and this is the first time I've ever left one where I found it.

With the recent cases of rabies in raccoons & bats in the area, not about to consume meat that has been partially gnawed on by unknown critters.(I'm guessing opposums, but ain't willing to risk my life on it. Rabies has nearly a 100% mortality rate if you contract it)

The one shoulder not gnawed on had the exit wound through it and was on the ground all night. I have no idea what insects might have entered through the exit wound, or gnawed holes. So, I left the "all you can eat buffet" out for the critters to finish

edited because I found that rabies infection actually isn't 100% fatal in humans, just close
    Last edited by knitepoet; 11-16-2017 at 06:16 AM.

Better to be safe than risk injury due to lack of ambient light. Sometimes a deer can be pushed beyond reach by a stubborn search too.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by early View Post
    Better to be safe than risk injury due to lack of ambient light. Sometimes a deer can be pushed beyond reach by a stubborn search too.
    From the amount of blood and lung tissue on the ground from both hits, I knew the doe hadn't made it too far. Just couldn't find that one speck of blood I needed to, by flashlight, to see where the 2 blood trails separated.

Also knew how long I had to get to the processor with the first one before they closed, so knew it was time to go, and head back this morning.

Didn't even think about "critters" finding, and munching on her first

the round trip this morning took 5x longer than finding her.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff in TX View Post
    Congrats nice deer! Normally if we have to drag one for a while up and over hills they normally weigh out around 300 to 400 lbs according to our arms and shoulders!
    Been there done that. I've heard the term "ground shrinkage" used to describe your quarry looking smaller on the ground than they did when you decided to shoot, but have never experienced it. Mine normally look the same size but feel a LOT bigger especially the further the drag is. (And the number of blackberry and/or sawmill briars I have to go through)

Good start!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"

Quote Originally Posted by NN View Post
    11-14-17 ML 3pt.jpg
    WWho's the guy in the photo and what did you do with Paul?
    Not sure who he is, but he sure is a handsome devil (According to my wife)
    Last edited by knitepoet; 11-16-2017 at 06:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Bishop View Post
    Good start!
    Thank you sir

Hoping the oldest grandson (9) gets to see either myself or "granny" shoot one this weekend. I'll be spending 4+hours on the road Friday to go get him.

Thank you sir

Hoping the oldest grandson (9) gets to see either myself or "granny" shoot one this weekend. I'll be spending 4+hours on the road Friday to go get him.
    Treasure that time with him.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Bishop View Post
    Treasure that time with him.
    Yessir, that's why I'm making the trip, instead of just waiting for them to come up next week for Thanksgiving. Oh, and add another 4+ hr round trip when we come out of the woods Sunday evening (PLUS, hopefully, a stop by the processor to drop off a deer or 2)

Any evidence of expansion with the Bullet?
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post
    Any evidence of expansion with the Bullet?
    1" + exit holes in each. Hit the shoulder blade on her, went into the "armpit" 2" further back on him.

I HOPE rainier will eventually begin making the 300gr .429" HPs again.

Before I started casting lee 320gr WFNGCs, the rainier were also my 44mag "go to" bullet for my 14" contender
    Last edited by knitepoet; 11-16-2017 at 01:54 PM.

Congrats, Paul. Sorry about the doe.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

Quote Originally Posted by bullsi1911 View Post
    Congrats, Paul. Sorry about the doe.
    Thanks B

Quote Originally Posted by early View Post
    Congratulations!
    Speed loaders don't seem so speedy sometimes.
    Sorry I missed this one earlier.

Thank you

& yep, I severely fumbled that first reload.

He stuck around though, and I thought to myself, "If you're dumb enough to stand there, I'm dumb enough to shoot you."