Thread: Shoulder Holster Advice Needed

Shoulder Holster Advice Needed

I am looking for a shoulder holster system and have a couple of challenges: I am 6'4" and 250 lbs. and nobody seems to make a holster for the gun I need it for, the S&W SD9VE. Last night I went to Academy Sports and tried on a generic $19 nylon holster.....it fit the gun ok, did not have enough adjustment to fit me. I have been eying the Galco Miami Classic and research indicates that it may have enough adjustment to fit me and if not, a larger harness is available for it. However, they do not list it for the SD9VE. They do list it for the gun the SD9VE replaced, the Sigma 9 series. Does anyone know if a holster for the Sigma 9 would fit the SD9VE? Does anyone have any other suggestions? I know custom is an option, but the primary use will be church carry, not everyday carry so I would like to keep the cost down.

Re: Shoulder Holster Advice Needed

If you have an extra every day carry option that works, why do you want to strap yourself up in a shoulder rig?
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Quote Originally Posted by 10canyon53 View Post
    I am looking for a shoulder holster system and have a couple of challenges: I am 6'4" and 250 lbs. and nobody seems to make a holster for the gun I need it for, the S&W SD9VE. Last night I went to Academy Sports and tried on a generic $19 nylon holster.....it fit the gun ok, did not have enough adjustment to fit me. I have been eying the Galco Miami Classic and research indicates that it may have enough adjustment to fit me and if not, a larger harness is available for it. However, they do not list it for the SD9VE. They do list it for the gun the SD9VE replaced, the Sigma 9 series. Does anyone know if a holster for the Sigma 9 would fit the SD9VE? Does anyone have any other suggestions? I know custom is an option, but the primary use will be church carry, not everyday carry so I would like to keep the cost down.
    If the generic nylon holster works you can get Nylon straps in any color and size just about anywhere (eBay and Amazon come to mind). Maybe you can replace the ones on that rig with longer ones? Making your own harness out of nylon strips should be about a 15 minute job. Also you can call Galco customer service and they should be able to answer your question on fit. They usually have a sizing chart (for humans and guns) available to their folks.
    Last edited by Wambli Ska; 11-16-2017 at 05:57 PM.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawker View Post
    If you have an extra every day carry option that works, why do you want to strap yourself up in a shoulder rig?
    I get where he's going. While many folks do not like shoulder rigs I have a couple and find them very comfortable and if you practice, they are fast to get a gun in your hand, specially from a seated position on a crowded pew. They do come in handy in some more "formal" occasions when a sports coat and tucked shirt is the correct mode of dress and it's really easy, and COMFORTABLE, to conceal my Kimber Commander size and two extra mags without having your waist loaded down. Used to be I packed light to go to church, now I feel I need to be ready for a siege and potentially some long range (for a handgun) capability.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

Another consideration is whether your jacket will fit and hang properly with the rig on. Many of the investigators I worked with back in the day went back to belt carry when they found their business attire did not fit around the shoulder rig, and most could not afford custom tailoring.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawker View Post
    This will be in addition to my daily carry setup, not instead of. Considering what happened in Texas, I would like to be able to carry the extra capacity of my double stack full size in addition to my M&P Shield that is my daily carry. I have good OWB holsters for both guns that would work under a suit jacket, but it would be an either/or situation since they are both strong side. With a shoulder holster for the larger gun it would be easy to conceal both at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by LMLarsen View Post
    Another consideration is whether your jacket will fit and hang properly with the rig on. Many of the investigators I worked with back in the day went back to belt carry when they found their business attire did not fit around the shoulder rig, and most could not afford custom tailoring.
    I had to play with mine quite a bit to get it just right. It will NOT fit under the skinny Euro style business suits jackets under ANY circumstances but under your average US cut sports coat I'm good to go. Most guys try to to get it too tight under the armpit. If you hang it a little lower it tucks away very well. Mostly depends on build and jacket cut but for some it will work. Again, for me it's a REALLY comfortable way of wearing a 1911 and two extra mags under a jacket. WAY more comfortable than carrying all that weight on my waist, specially with a dress belt on.

Logansport Indiana, by way of Hohenwald Tennessee by way of Cocoa Florida

The one I wore, when I was in the homicide division, was an alisi rig. I carried a Colt Government model, 70 series, in it. The rig carries the gun in a vertical position that was comfortable and easy to conceal. Keep yer powder dry.........robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO

Don't worry Wambli, I don't do Skinny Euro anything.

I found this one from lurking on the Florida Concealed Carry forum:

http://littlebearcustomholsters.com/shoulder.php

A little more than I want to spend....but not necessarily more than I am willing to spend to get it right.

Don't worry Wambli, I don't do Skinny Euro anything.

I found this one from lurking on the Florida Concealed Carry forum:

http://littlebearcustomholsters.com/shoulder.php

A little more than I want to spend....but not necessarily more than I am willing to spend to get it right.
    Nice!!!

Does anyone have experience with this one from Blackhawk?

http://blackhawk.com/products/holste...oulder-holster

In my experience, nylon holsters and their straps make too much rustling noise when worn and you’re moving about. The synthetics move against clothing and sometimes the strap corners hang up on jacket liners.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.
    NRA Endowment Member

I unexpectedly bought a shoulder holster today. I was at the Daytona Beach Flea Market and some nylon shoulder holsters caught my eye. They looked like they might fit me, so I tried one on and sure enough, it fit. When I found out the price was only $20 I could not pass it up. Don't know if the $5 no pic fine applies to holsters, but just to be safe, pics below.

It seems well made, it's comfortable and it fits my S&W double-stack 9MM just fine. Retention is good but the snap releases easily for a quick draw. Holds 2 spare magazines on the opposite side and actually has a 3rd magazine holder on top of the holster itself.....never seen that before. This will allow me to carry both my full-size and my Shield under a suit jacket when in Church. So far I am very satisfied for $20.

For those that want a leather rig LA Police Gear has a large selection.
    www.lapolicegear.com

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT

I've tried shoulder holsters and while they can work under some circumstances, they can be problematic in concealed carry.

Weather changes, you can't take your coat off, even unbuttoning/unzipping it can be a problem unless you live in a state that allows unintended view of your gun.

Most of us don't have a suit coat or sports coat tailored to hide a shoulder holster.

If conditions allow I would use one and do.
    I turned in the key to the can of worms
    They just issued me a new key

This was bought for a specific application and the weather forecast for that specific application is "indoors where it is air conditioned".

Looks good. Hope it works well for you.

So far my only complaint is that the placement of the strap that holds the two shoulder harnesses together is too high and transfers all of the weight directly to the back of my neck. I am looking at the possibility of removing and reattaching that strap further down to see if that will transfer the weight back to the shoulder harnesses where it belongs.

So far my only complaint is that the placement of the strap that holds the two shoulder harnesses together is too high and transfers all of the weight directly to the back of my neck. I am looking at the possibility of removing and reattaching that strap further down to see if that will transfer the weight back to the shoulder harnesses where it belongs.
    That is what I dislike about all the ones I’ve tried. Hate stuff dragging across my shoulders
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

My concern is that the retention strap can become undone and the handgun will/can fallout,
    even with the horizontal holsters if Ya bend to pick something up.

Quote Originally Posted by NN View Post
    My concern is that the retention strap can become undone and the handgun will/can fallout,
    I did test that and found that if I positioned the retention strap across the back of the slide, the handgun could and did fall out under the right conditions. However, I found that if I positioned the retention strap under the slide across the top of the back strap the retention was very secure. The retention strap can still be easily unsnapped with my thumb during the draw.

I did test that and found that if I positioned the retention strap across the back of the slide, the handgun could and did fall out under the right conditions. However, I found that if I positioned the retention strap under the slide across the top of the back strap the retention was very secure. The retention strap can still be easily unsnapped with my thumb during the draw.
    Good you experimented, much better than finding the gun in the dirt at your feet. as I did.

I guess this is where I confess that my first round of "testing" wasn't exactly planned........... at least it was indoors at home so my gun didn't wind up in the dirt.

And hopefully on a rug, hey.

Not exactly......but at least it bounced off the toilet before hitting the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by NN View Post
    That happened to me with a 1911, walking down the marble stairs of the courthouse. It didn't shoot but scared the hell out of me. A defense attorney was right behind me, said, "Good thing it wasn't loaded." I'm pretty sure he knew it was loaded and was giving me an out.

I have one now for the 1911, which I don't care for much. I'm chesty, and the holster tends to ride farther back under my arm and it takes my left hand to support it and push it forward where I can reach it with my drawing hand. Also, if you wear a shoulder rig, you're pretty well stuck with a jacket or outer covering.

The other one I have is for my Redhawk .44 and it's not for concealment but for toting the heavy gun without it pulling my pants down.

I like the way they carry a gun, but they're slow (for me) and are not compatible with the clothes I usually wear.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06