Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Man cave stuff

Re: Man cave stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ron View Post
    Looks great !
    I put those rubber blocks under 2 of my 60 gal. tanks.
    They don't move a bit.
    Usually I put an extension pipe out the bottom for the drain. bending down is way better than laying to get to the plug.
    Now ya need a nice mig welder to set next to it . ( & a tig next to that )
    Good advice, yes I still have to pick up the rubber pads and will get the drain kit from Ir.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member

For SURE extend the drain. Especially if it has the crappy one most compressors come with that points straight down. Get some nipples, elbows, and 1/4 valve and run it out where you can get to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post

I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men.

You can get "do-dahs" that automatically keep the water drained...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"
    "Religion can't be allowed the coercive power of government,
    government can't be allowed the 'moral' justification of religion."

I really need to get the new one here at the house wired in !
    Only problem is .........I can't get to the wall to run the wiring.
    It was a tough job when there was 1 row of stuff on the wall ......now there is 2 rows along the wall.
    I think I need to put more things on wheels in the garage !

I really need to get the new one here at the house wired in !
    Only problem is .........I can't get to the wall to run the wiring.
    It was a tough job when there was 1 row of stuff on the wall ......now there is 2 rows along the wall.
    I think I need to put more things on wheels in the garage !
    Or have a big garage sale!

Finished installing this afternoon. I am impressed how quiet it is. Still need to modify the tank drain but no hurry what’s important is I gots me some air!!!

Happy dance and a cold beer time!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....

The drain on my compressor is a 90 Ell in the bottom of the tank, a ball valve, and a quick connect to the outlet of the ball valve. I hook a 50 foot 1/4" 'curly hose' to that and stick it out the door and let 'er rip! The curly hose is convenient for other uses around the mill and lathe, too. Need pictures of your milling machine and lathe! If you don't have, then get!
    Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass.Mark Twain - Notebook, 1898
    Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence in society. --Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by tennmike View Post
    The drain on my compressor is a 90 Ell in the bottom of the tank, a ball valve, and a quick connect to the outlet of the ball valve. I hook a 50 foot 1/4" 'curly hose' to that and stick it out the door and let 'er rip! The curly hose is convenient for other uses around the mill and lathe, too. Need pictures of your milling machine and lathe! If you don't have, then get!
    Give me time, I need funds and a plan to make the wife think it’s for her benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by timc View Post
    Give me time, I need funds and a plan to make the wife think it’s for her benefit.
    It all stats out ...you need money .....then time .....then more money .......then more space ......repeated over & over again.
    Best shot is say " Honey ....it's a guy thing " & with these tools I can buy you nice things.
    The Honey I'm home .....smile then say don't get mad " ( doesn't work well. )

It all stats out ...you need money .....then time .....then more money .......then more space ......repeated over & over again.
    Best shot is say " Honey ....it's a guy thing " & with these tools I can buy you nice things.
    The Honey I'm home .....smile then say don't get mad " ( doesn't work well. )
    I don’t know, she’s pretty sharp. I gotta get pretty creative!
    To my wife buying her nice things would be letting her trade her Cadillac SRX for the infinity QX80 she’s been lusting after. That would put me broke for a long time!

Kind of defeats the whole purpose cause I wouldn’t buy squat for years after that!
    Last edited by timc; 11-19-2017 at 01:11 AM.

Tim, we have that same compressor at the shop. It's lasted longer than the last 3 we have had since we set up back in 97.

Keep the oil changed. Go by the manual, but you can probably get by with once a year. Change the belt if it ever starts bogging down and squeaking. Also, you probably know this but you tighten the belt by loosening the four 10 mm bolts that attach the electric motor and pulling it away from the compressor head. I use a ratchet strap to pull it.

Lastly, you'll be surprised how much water builds up in the tank. Drain it often with the valve on the bottom of the tank. I don't know if TX is as humid as the GA swamp over here but I'm sure it's close. You'll get the nastiest, oily/rusty water spewing out of the valve, so have something to catch it in. Ours is outside under a shelter so I can just let it hit the ground, but it will make a hell of a mess.

And I was so excited to share my wisdom, I didn't bother to check the other posts. They've got you well covered.

So I'll share another bit of wisdom. You can make a sleeping cat jump 10 feet in the air and 30 feet laterally with a blast of 90 psi. So I've heard.
    Last edited by Buffco; 11-19-2017 at 04:53 AM.

All my gun & shop money comes from side work. Or wheeling & dealing.
    Over the years it has taken on a life of its own . ( going to auctions didn't help much too )
    I even have places that call & ask if I want there scrap steel ......FREE I get right on that.
    It gives me money to buy things I like but normally wouldn't buy. Like .....a power washer on a trailer hot & cold 4300psi & 2 -500 gal water tanks. That will clean up anything !

Quote Originally Posted by Buffco View Post
    And I was so excited to share my wisdom, I didn't bother to check the other posts. They've got you well covered.

So I'll share another bit of wisdom. You can make a sleeping cat jump 10 feet in the air and 30 feet laterally with a blast of 90 psi. So I've heard.
    All good info, never hurts to hear good advice over and over! I am thinking of running a pipe through the wall to drain outside.

I bet the cat thing would be a sight.

All my gun & shop money comes from side work. Or wheeling & dealing.
    Over the years it has taken on a life of its own . ( going to auctions didn't help much too )
    I even have places that call & ask if I want there scrap steel ......FREE I get right on that.
    It gives me money to buy things I like but normally wouldn't buy. Like .....a power washer on a trailer hot & cold 4300psi & 2 -500 gal water tanks. That will clean up anything !
    I had a side business for several years, I got an FFL and was doing well with it, paid for all my new toys and ammo. Then came career advancement, I was promoted into management now my work week seems to always be in the 55-60 hour range and I have no time to do anything else.
    The shop is going to be my tinkering place and may get back In The gun business when I retire. I really enjoyed working on guns, especially restoring old stuff.

I don’t know, she’s pretty sharp. I gotta get pretty creative!
    To my wife buying her nice things would be letting her trade her Cadillac SRX for the infinity QX80 she’s been lusting after. That would put me broke for a long time!

Kind of defeats the whole purpose cause I wouldn’t buy squat for years after that!
    From a woman's perspective, it isn't about the car or buying us nice things. It's about including us in decisions and making us feel like we are wanted. It's about honesty, leaving us little love notes in our purse or briefcases, treating us like nothing else matters other than us and whatever. We always put our guys first, and to be honest, all we want is for you guys to be happy.......and we know you like your toys. We can see through the "with these tools we can buy you nice things" bunk too lol. All you married guys know we can read y'all like a book. Money is only money, but love is not replaceable. Treat her well and you will have your shop filled with plenty of tools.......most likely that she will buy you. Shop looks awesome!
    "Marriage is a hunting permit that allows you only one dear at a time"

Quote Originally Posted by SIGgal View Post
    From a woman's perspective, it isn't about the car or buying us nice things. It's about including us in decisions and making us feel like we are wanted. It's about honesty, leaving us little love notes in our purse or briefcases, treating us like nothing else matters other than us and whatever. We always put our guys first, and to be honest, all we want is for you guys to be happy.......and we know you like your toys. We can see through the "with these tools we can buy you nice things" bunk too lol. All you married guys know we can read y'all like a book. Money is only money, but love is not replaceable. Treat her well and you will have your shop filled with plenty of tools.......most likely that she will buy you. Shop looks awesome!
    Momma is always #1 no matter who you ask, the kids, the dogs or me.
    We are coming up on our 20th anniversary next year, this is much longer than either of us had on our previous marriages.

She has always been supportive of my career.
    I have always been supportive of her vacation ideas.
    She has always been tolerant of my gun hobby and other toys
    I never show disappointment when she buys a new pair of shoes or a new purse.
    I have always been tolerant when she wants to remodel or paint something that didn’t need it.
    I never lie to her cause I know I’ll get caught.
    We still do most everything together.
    We laugh together all the time.
    I know she is right 90% of the time, even when I don’t think so.
    And we always discuss large purchases together before buying and it is mainly because of her we are debt free.

This is why we are such a good team!
    Last edited by timc; 11-19-2017 at 07:45 PM.

Sounds like you two are beautiful together! I hope Jason and I are that awesome when we hit the 20 year anniversary. You are an inspiration to me....... and give me hope that I will survive that long with him :)

Sounds like you two are beautiful together! I hope Jason and I are that awesome when we hit the 20 year anniversary. You are an inspiration to me....... and give me hope that I will survive that long with him :)
    It all boils down to mutual respect, treat each other as an equal, let each other know you always matter and you will!

I had a side business for several years, I got an FFL and was doing well with it, paid for all my new toys and ammo. Then came career advancement, I was promoted into management now my work week seems to always be in the 55-60 hour range and I have no time to do anything else.
    The shop is going to be my tinkering place and may get back In The gun business when I retire. I really enjoyed working on guns, especially restoring old stuff.
    With the new job ......ya can plan ahead & get all the stuff you want now to work on later !
    Now that's a plan. ( it doesn't take a lot of time to spend money on cool stuff )

Momma is always #1 no matter who you ask, the kids, the dogs or me.
    We are coming up on our 20th anniversary next year, this is much longer than either of us had on our previous marriages.

She has always been supportive of my career.
    I have always been supportive of her vacation ideas.
    She has always been tolerant of my gun hobby and other toys
    I never show disappointment when she buys a new pair of shoes or a new purse.
    I have always been tolerant when she wants to remodel or paint something that didn’t need it.
    I never lie to her cause I know I’ll get caught.
    We still do most everything together.
    We laugh together all the time.
    I know she is right 90% of the time, even when I don’t think so.
    And we always discuss large purchases together before buying and it is mainly because of her we are debt free.

This is why we are such a good team!
    Very similar to my own marriage of 33+ years. She's an odd woman, but what other kind would I marry?

Quote Originally Posted by zorba View Post
    She's an odd woman, but what other kind would I marry?
    A dude?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post

I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men.

Quote Originally Posted by cpj View Post
    A dude?

Dude's just don't do it for me, sorry.

Not even cpj?

Ill take them for you Zorba lol..... They work just fine

Not even cpj?
    Definitely NOT CPJ! Nothin' personal there, CPJ, ya just don't have the requisite anatomy!

Ill take them for you Zorba lol..... They work just fine
    Please do, they're ALL yours!

Definitely NOT CPJ! Nothin' personal there, CPJ, ya just don't have the requisite anatomy!
    Too bad, I think it was a proposition!

I was working on the 220 to my garage today & must have missed something here.

Too bad, I think it was a proposition!
    *shudder*

I was working on the 220 to my garage today & must have missed something here.
    Just us being our usual crazy selves. You'll get used to it...

Nothing to see here, move along...