Thread: Bed side, nightstand gun safes

Bed side, nightstand gun safes

Looking into getting my daughter one. I'm aware that the pistol on the night stand in the open is probably the quickest way to it. But living in an apartment with a roommate she is wanting one. I'm fairly certain that some grand kids are in the foreseeable future so it might not be a bad idea. There are several out there to choose from but I don't know much about them. Some use keys, some use a combination and some use fingerprints. Which method is best? Seems to me that the print method would be the fastest to open but I worry about this method working if it's ever needed. Any imput would be helpful because I'm clueless.
    We as a country have a blown engine, a transmission that slips in every forward gear, and a rear diff with a loud whine. And our politicians keep trying to spray armorall on the tires and proudly step back as if they are helping fix the car.

Re: Bed side, nightstand gun safes

I'd lean towards the Hornady "RapidID" line
    Quote Originally Posted by Seven habits of highly effective pirates
    Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Quote Originally Posted by knitepoet View Post
    I'd lean towards the Hornady "RapidID" line
    Checking them out now, thanks.
    We as a country have a blown engine, a transmission that slips in every forward gear, and a rear diff with a loud whine. And our politicians keep trying to spray armorall on the tires and proudly step back as if they are helping fix the car.

You're quite welcome. Youngest and his wife mentioned a desire for a handgun in the house before they moved. Having 4 kids, it's what I suggested for them.

They changed their minds and moved out of the bad neighborhood they were in, instead.
    Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

I have thought of night stand safes, but, with a woman in the house I do not believe it will work for long before
    she realizes all the other stuff that goes on a night stand and the safe conflict or it looks tacky.

While I believe in the need for a safe, I think a closet safe is better and use a bed holster at night and lock the gun in the safe
    during the day and when gone.

There are open holsters and those in a zip up case that attach to an angle iron like thing that slips between the mattress and the box spring
    and can be slipped out and also stored in the closet during the day.
    This message has been edited by NN.

I have one of the gunvault safes that I have near the bed. Works good, just make sure to swap out the batteries or keep it plugged in.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

This has been on my nightstand for the last approx 6-7 years. It's very easy to open in the dark.

https://www.amazon.com/Gunvault-GV20...words=gunvault

I tried a couple of different biometric safes and they just didn't like my fingerprint. My wife could open it 100% of the time and for me it was a flip of a coin.

Denny
    Participating in a gun buy back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids.... Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by bullsi1911 View Post
    I have one of the gunvault safes that I have near the bed. Works good, just make sure to swap out the batteries or keep it plugged in.
    I have only changed the batteries in mine twice in 10 years (it beeps when batteries are low). They are good for keeping little hands away, but you can pop one open with a screw driver.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by NN View Post
    I have thought of night stand safes, but, with a woman in the house I do not believe it will work for long before
    she realizes all the other stuff that goes on a night stand and the safe conflict or it looks tacky.

I have thought about that too. They will take up room on the nightstand. Worse thing to me is if they start setting stuff on it.

Quote Originally Posted by bullsi1911 View Post
    Good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by wddodge View Post
    This has been on my nightstand for the last approx 6-7 years. It's very easy to open in the dark.

https://www.amazon.com/Gunvault-GV20...words=gunvault

I tried a couple of different biometric safes and they just didn't like my fingerprint. My wife could open it 100% of the time and for me it was a flip of a coin.

Denny
    I think the finger prints ones would be hit and miss. I want even use a fingerprint to unlock my phone. Going to take a look at the one in the link.

Quote Originally Posted by jbp-ohio View Post
    I have only changed the batteries in mine twice in 10 years (it beeps when batteries are low). They are good for keeping little hands away, but you can pop one open with a screw driver.
    Do they really open that easy with a screw driver?

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...fsprsnlfrprgua

I have this one, but for me it is a little overkill since I have no children and only have a few pistols at home including Jason's, and that is always on the nightstand anyway since he carries it every day. Mine isn't really a gun safe, but it is fire proof and serves to protect other valuables as well.
    Last edited by SIGgal; 11-29-2017 at 02:47 AM.
    "Marriage is a hunting permit that allows you only one dear at a time"

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson

Cool. Now I can get the wife’s safe open to replace the battery
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

Wow. That "safe" is just a way to keep toddlers from getting into it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post

I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men.

Quote Originally Posted by cpj View Post
    Wow. That "safe" is just a way to keep toddlers from getting into it.
    That's not working on the Gunvault Microvault : http://www.gunvault.com/mv500-std-microvault.html
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

I'll relay comments made by both my late paternal grandfather and my oldest step-son..
    Paw-Paw used to say..
    Locks only keep honest folks honest
    And Kevin, who works in IT says, quite accurately IMO...
    Security is an illusion

Wow. That looked easy.

Thanks for all the replies. Decided on this one. Hope it works like they advertise.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/30...ck-steel-black