Thread: A Productive Hunt Without Firing a Shot

A Productive Hunt Without Firing a Shot

Finally got my feeders and blinds up to snuff. I went out with my son in law yesterday afternoon ( We went in separate vehicles because he had to be home before dark) to finish his feeder. When we pulled up to his feeder we heard a shot over close to where I hunt. After we hung his feeder I went to my blind to hunt until dark. I was sitting there in my blind, minding my own business and I hear a Mule (Kawasaki) coming up behind me. It was the lady that hunts in the pasture next to where I hunt. She says, you want a hog? I told her of course, if she's got one to give away. So I jumped in her mule with her and we went back around to her hunting area by her blind where I saw a 200 pound sow lying on the ground about 40 yards from her blind. We loaded it in the back of her mule and drove around to my pasture where I had my car parked behind some brush. I opened the trunk and she backed the mule up to my car. The bed of her mule was a bit higher than my trunk so we just kinda rolled the hog into my trunk. By then it was getting dark and no longer legal shooting time, so I packed it in and took off for home. I went straight to my son in law and daughters house and my grandson and his buddy Chris, who I've sorta adopted as a step grandson, helped me get the hog out of the trunk onto the front yard and they pulled it around to the back. My son in law tried to give me money to go buy him some beer, but I told him if he helped me butcher this hog the beer was on me. I went by my house and picked up a big gut bucket and a light and then got the beer. We started skinning the hog and then cut him up and put the meat in my 150 quart Igloo Marine Cooler. No I don't have a Yetti yet, and doubt I will ever. I can buy a lot of igloos for $1000 which is what a Yetti, however you spell it, of comparable size costs.

We got through about 1:00 A.M. because right in the middle of it, they had company drop in which cost us a couple hours. Anyway, when we got through and cleaned up then we went back out to the lease and dumped the gut bucket. I think I got to bed about 2:30 A.M. I put a small bag of ice (8 or 10 pounds) on it last night and when I got up at 8:30 this morning I went over there with a couple more small bags I had in the freezer here. After church I went to Buckies and got two 20 pounders and went and put those on too. So right now I have about 50 pounds of ice on it and it's fairly cool outside, so the ice should last a while. After about 4 or 5 days I'll grind most of it up for sausage and save the tenderloins and back strap to fry up or BBQ some wild pork chops. Now I need to buy some domestic Boston Butts and/or Picnics to grind with it. I also have some deer meat from last season to throw into the mix. So I should end up with a hundred pounds or so sausage. I'm really anxious to make some sausage, I miss it.
    Last edited by snake284; 12-04-2017 at 01:57 AM.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Re: A Productive Hunt Without Firing a Shot

Very productive!
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain

Very cool, Snake.

I have a question about butchering hogs. I saw an episode of "Meat Eater" that featured hog trapping in south Texas. The host took one of the larger pigs to a local butcher, who told him that there were about 6-7 sets of glands that needed to be cut out during the butchering process. Otherwise, it would taint the meat.

I familiar with cutting out a deer's tarsal gland for that reason, but have not experience at all with butchering a hog.

Is this something you do?
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryBobCo View Post
    Very cool, Snake.

I have a question about butchering hogs. I saw an episode of "Meat Eater" that featured hog trapping in south Texas. The host took one of the larger pigs to a local butcher, who told him that there were about 6-7 sets of glands that needed to be cut out during the butchering process. Otherwise, it would taint the meat.

I familiar with cutting out a deer's tarsal gland for that reason, but have not experience at all with butchering a hog.

Is this something you do?
    This is a very good question Jerry, but I don't know, I've never had knowledge of that. I think that sort of thing is for the more anal retentive. There's some people that will put any task under a microscope and tought it as the thing to do. I've never noticed anything like that in a sow. There may be in boars, I've had several that the meat tasted very strong. Maybe Zee will chime in. He's butchered a few more than me. I know Javelina have some glands like that, but with a real hog they say you can use everything but the Squeal and they're working on discovering uses for that at Texas A&M I think.

One thing though, I know there are always some kinds of glands around the neck and head of most all animals, but I don't use that area in a wild animal. If somebody here knows of such a thing I would appreciate them telling me. I'm not saying there isn't, but I'm here to tell you I've never known of any that made the meat taste bad.
    Last edited by snake284; 12-04-2017 at 08:52 PM.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    This is a very good question Jerry, but I don't know, I've never had knowledge of that. I think that sort of thing is for the more anal retentive. There's some people that will put any task under a microscope and tought it as the thing to do. I've never noticed anything like that in a sow. There may be in boars, I've had several that the meat tasted very strong. Maybe Zee will chime in. He's butchered a few more than me. I know Javelina have some glands like that, but with a real hog they say you can use everything but the Squeal and they're working on discovering uses for that at Texas A&M I think.

One thing though, I know there are always some kinds of glands around the neck and head of most all animals, but I don't use that area in a wild animal. If somebody here knows of such a thing I would appreciate them telling me. I'm not saying there isn't, but I'm here to tell you I've never known of any that made the meat taste bad.
    Thanks, Snake.

I have some experience with javelinas, and I can tell you for sure and certain that boars have one big musk gland on their back. It pretty much makes them inedible. Young pigs and sows are ok if you carefully remove the hams and leave the rest (there's not much meat on the shoulders, and the back strap is where the gland is located).
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

There are some glands in the hams of white tail deer I've recently learned. I've never seen them, but wasn't looking either. Same goes for squirrels. My dad showed me those.
    It all grinds, but next deer I'll be looking for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post

I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men.

Quote Originally Posted by cpj View Post
    There are some glands in the hams of white tail deer I've recently learned. I've never seen them, but wasn't looking either. Same goes for squirrels. My dad showed me those.
    It all grinds, but next deer I'll be looking for them.
    Yep I've known about glands in deer but never worried or looked for them. But you can bet after this thread I'll pay more attention.

Free meat is good buddy!
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post
    Free meat is good buddy!
    Oh you bet it is. And it comes at a good time. Sausage making and eating is definitely on the agenda and the menu.

Well, that worked out nicely! Few people would turn down a freebie like that.

One of these days, Iíll shoot a hog. Time to see if it holds up to barbeque standard!
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Six-Gun View Post
    Well, that worked out nicely! Few people would turn down a freebie like that.

One of these days, I’ll shoot a hog. Time to see if it holds up to barbeque standard!
    You probably won't be disappointed. However, that depends on the hog. A nice fat sow is great eating, but a big boar sucks. At least in my experiece I've found that to be the case. But even on a big hog, back straps and tenderloins are good, most of the time.
    Last edited by snake284; 12-07-2017 at 08:43 PM.