Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .308 Win- vs - 6.5 Creedmore

Re: .308 Win- vs - 6.5 Creedmore

My comparison is based on the 168 Hornady (.523) versus the 140 grain (.610) Hornady ELD-M's.
    If loading, it should cost less to load for the 6.5, because of less bullet weight.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"

Clarification----
    My previous posting was not an endorsement of the 6.5CM over the 308W.

It was a 👍🏻for the Ruger American.

I have rifles in both calibers & enjoy both equally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

You already have a DPMs that you ring the gong with at 500yards, going on the premise that it is a 308 there isn't really a lot of excitement about getting a new short barreled rifle in the same caliber to do the same thing.
    I would go with the Creedmoor and experiment with what you can do knowing it will be better in the wind and less drop further out.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Good point, OJR

I am starting to lean toward the 6.5. Another short barrel .308 would be a bit of duplication...

Could change my mind, though
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

Realistically a .308 will do everything that you want, but that's no fun!

IMO, a RA Predator in 6.5 is a great starting point that you can grow into as your skills progress. Additionally, a few companies make chassis etc for the RA so you can upgrade as you go.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C

Well, I just went to Cabelas and bought the base rifle with no scope. Not that I DIDNT want the scope, it's just that all of a sudden they are sold out EVERYWHERE. I called every gun store in a 30 mile radius, and they all were sold out, and the distributors were out of stock as well.

So, Cabela's had the base RAP in 6.5 for $399... and the combo with the scope for $650. I'm 100% sure I can get a better scope than the Vortex Crossfire II for $250. By the way, buying a gun at Cabelas sucks. A very stupidly designed process.

Now, I have to wait to open it under the tree of Christmas.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

For $250 you can do much better than a Crossfire II. I have a 6-18x on a .22 and like it a lot for that gun.

The eye box is kind of narrow, I have to be rather careful when shooting from anywhere other than the bench. The biggest reason I would not recommend that scope for distance shooting is that the turret isn’t marked for rotations. You just have to kind of keep track how times you have gone around.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13

Quote Originally Posted by bullsi1911 View Post
    Well, I just went and bought the base rifle with no scope. Cabela's had the base RAP in 6.5 for $399...
    I hope you'll be very glad you did.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Congrats Bullsi

The "YS" will wait until you actually "get" it in 10 days
    Quote Originally Posted by Seven habits of highly effective pirates
    Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Stocky's has a nice looking laminated stock that is a drop in replacement for the factory one. When you replace the factory barrel with a longer thicker one you will have to enlarge the barrel channel however. You will find getting a 22" barrel to give you enough velocity to handle windy conditions at 1,000 yds is a real challenge. Also you will need 10-20 MOA of elevation added to your scope mount system to get to 1K with many scopes. Best of luck.

Never mind...
    Last edited by timc; 12-19-2017 at 02:07 AM.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member

Well, I just went to Cabelas and bought the base rifle with no scope. Not that I DIDNT want the scope, it's just that all of a sudden they are sold out EVERYWHERE. I called every gun store in a 30 mile radius, and they all were sold out, and the distributors were out of stock as well.

So, Cabela's had the base RAP in 6.5 for $399... and the combo with the scope for $650. I'm 100% sure I can get a better scope than the Vortex Crossfire II for $250. By the way, buying a gun at Cabelas sucks. A very stupidly designed process.

Now, I have to wait to open it under the tree of Christmas.
    Just noticed you jumped already before I posted. Oh well, so much for the Remi, build on brother!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member

IMG_8329.jpg

Parts are coming together.
    Redfield Revenge 6-18x44 that I got off samplelist.com for $189
    1" Weaver Rings I had lying about
    SD Tactical muzzlebreak/ Suppressor mount
    My home built Form 1 suppressor built from a SD Tactical 'Solvent Trap'

Just add Rifle.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

IMG_8329.jpg

Parts are coming together.
    Redfield Revenge 6-18x44 that I got off samplelist.com for $189
    1" Weaver Rings I had lying about
    SD Tactical muzzlebreak/ Suppressor mount
    My home built Form 1 suppressor built from a SD Tactical 'Solvent Trap'

Just add Rifle.
    You screwed up.
    Should have placed an old rifle in the new rifle box and had the wife wrap it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post

I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men.

Quote Originally Posted by cpj View Post
    You screwed up.
    Should have placed an old rifle in the new rifle box and had the wife wrap it.
    No, this is under the tree at my Mom's house. Which is even WORSE, because we are doing 'Christmas' there on the 29th!

However, the rifle is at my brother's house right now, and unwrapped. Hmmm... wonder if I could pull it off to go get everything put together and sighted in before I am 'surprised' by it next Friday?
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

No, this is under the tree at my Mom's house. Which is even WORSE, because we are doing 'Christmas' there on the 29th!

However, the rifle is at my brother's house right now, and unwrapped. Hmmm... wonder if I could pull it off to go get everything put together and sighted in before I am 'surprised' by it next Friday?
    Sure you can....

Repeat after me.. "Honey, I need to run some errands today. They're probably going to take me the rest of the day. I'll call you when I start back home. Love you, bye"
    Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

I've already scoped, shot, and hunted with my new 6.5 Bullsi, get on it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C

Quote Originally Posted by knitepoet View Post
    Sure you can....

Repeat after me.. "Honey, I need to run some errands today. They're probably going to take me the rest of the day. I'll call you when I start back home. Love you, bye"
    Funny story... So my brother forgot (suuuuure. You 'forgot'... uh huh.) the wrapped rifle in his safe. So, There I was with sight in and a hunt planned the next day, All the accessories and a box of ammo in the car, and the rifle a 4 hour round trip drive away.

Finally got the rifle when I got back in town yesterday. Bolted up all the gear, boresighted it, and confirmed "yep, the stock and magazines are chintzy as heck". Now, I need range time. Might try and get to the indoor range this afternoon.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

I TRIED to help you get it taken care of

Snake,
    Your PM's are full, so I couldn't respond to you.
    In my comparison between the two cartridges: My comparison is based on the 168 Hornady (.523) versus the 140 grain (.610) Hornady ELD-M's.
    Notice the BC difference between these two bullets.
    Then, look at the velocities you would get with said bullets in barrels of the same length.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"