Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Reciprocity/NICS Fix ; From duty to be armed to permission to carry

  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Green Mountains
    Posts
    18

    Reciprocity/NICS Fix ; From duty to be armed to permission to carry

    From duty to be armed to permission to carry

    "If the central government has the authority to tell a state it must accept permits from all the other states, then it also has the authority to tell a state it may not accept a concealed permit from any other states. If the central government can do these things it can set up a national concealed carry permit scheme and in essence bring into existence a national arms registry. That is exactly where this is headed."



    http://www.renewamerica.com/columns/huldah/170710



    As the US Constitution is supposed to be the supreme law of the nation nither of these abominations is needed nor Constitutional.

    Enforce the Constitutional carry spelled out in our Constitution as it stands.

    GMB
    Last edited by Green Mtn. Boy; 12-12-2017 at 12:06 AM. Reason: repair link

  2. #2
    Senior Member bisley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    9,199

    Re: Reciprocity/NICS Fix ; From duty to be armed to permission to carry

    Quote Originally Posted by Green Mtn. Boy View Post
    From duty to be armed to permission to carry

    "If the central government has the authority to tell a state it must accept permits from all the other states, then it also has the authority to tell a state it may not accept a concealed permit from any other states. If the central government can do these things it can set up a national concealed carry permit scheme and in essence bring into existence a national arms registry. That is exactly where this is headed."
    This is the worrisome part of this legislation - the unexpected consequences that Edmond Burke warned about when he laid out the tenets of conservatism, before the USA even existed. Allowing the feds to overrule a state's sovereignty may eventually open the door on every other constitutional issue. While I do like the idea of a uniform law, I think the 2nd Amendment already covers that, and the courts are simply too politicized to uphold it. The 2A has already been compromised to such a degree, from one state to the next, that there is every reason to believe that slick attorneys will emerge from the woodwork to try to find an error in the wording that allows the intent to be completely flipped to support the latest left-wing re-interpretations that never cease. If we can overturn history about Christopher Columbus and Confederate generals, it's not out of the question to do similar with those pesky amendments.

    I have to say that I am an agnostic on this bill, unless someone can convince me that I'm just hunting spooks in the night that don't really exist. I haven't read the bill, so that is a possibility. I never thought it would get this far, so I have mostly ignored it.

  3. #3
    Senior Member BigDanS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Miami, FL almost in the USA ;)
    Posts
    6,497

    Re: Reciprocity/NICS Fix ; From duty to be armed to permission to carry

    Lets start with reciprocity / a national database of concealed weapon holders. I think we can easily assume that if we are licensed, we have guns. That in itself is different than a gun registry. I won't say never, but there are over 300 million guns out there in the USA. What makes anyone think they could all be registered?

    D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings?

  4. #4
    Senior Member cpj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    MOzambique
    Posts
    35,595

    Re: Reciprocity/NICS Fix ; From duty to be armed to permission to carry

    Quote Originally Posted by BigDanS View Post
    Lets start with reciprocity / a national database of concealed weapon holders. I think we can easily assume that if we are licensed, we have guns. That in itself is different than a gun registry. I won't say never, but there are over 300 million guns out there in the USA. What makes anyone think they could all be registered?

    D
    How about we NOT start with a national database. There's zero need, and what alphabet agency is going to oversee it and at what cost to taxpayers?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post

    I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men.

  5. #5

    Re: Reciprocity/NICS Fix ; From duty to be armed to permission to carry

    Quote Originally Posted by cpj View Post
    How about we NOT start with a national database. There's zero need, and what alphabet agency is going to oversee it and at what cost to taxpayers?
    and how would the next Democrat president/ administration mis-use it?
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

  6. #6

    Re: Reciprocity/NICS Fix ; From duty to be armed to permission to carry

    Quote Originally Posted by cpj View Post
    How about we NOT start with a national database. There's zero need, and what alphabet agency is going to oversee it and at what cost to taxpayers?
    You would be surprised how many FFL’s the ATF agent that is assigned to me can cover. He can audit and take record of a shop the size of a Outdoor World in 48 hours. But I agree with no registry. We have already been forced to touch our toes when we “settle” for a a peace offering from the left except every time now we keep touching our feet with the next finger joint.

  7. #7
    Senior Member terminator012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    2,116

    Re: Reciprocity/NICS Fix ; From duty to be armed to permission to carry

    Quote Originally Posted by BigDanS View Post
    Lets start with reciprocity / a national database of concealed weapon holders. I think we can easily assume that if we are licensed, we have guns. That in itself is different than a gun registry. I won't say never, but there are over 300 million guns out there in the USA. What makes anyone think they could all be registered?

    D
    I don't think all of them will ever be registered. But I would say that most sold over the last 10 years plus are all ready registered. Maybe not by the present owner but they were registered to someone. While this bill sounds great, I don't trust nothing they come up with in Washington on this matter. Someone will twist it and we will loose more rights.
    We as a country have a blown engine, a transmission that slips in every forward gear, and a rear diff with a loud whine. And our politicians keep trying to spray armorall on the tires and proudly step back as if they are helping fix the car.

  8. #8
    Senior Member tennmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Under a log
    Posts
    20,347

    Re: Reciprocity/NICS Fix ; From duty to be armed to permission to carry

    Quote Originally Posted by bullsi1911 View Post
    and how would the next Democrat president/ administration mis-use it?
    And that right there is why I'm leaning towards being against it. I'm still not really comfortable with CCW licensing as it is; when a right has been subverted to a privilege there's something really wrong.

    I'll just leave this here:

    "Were [a right] to be refused, or to be so shackled by regulations, not necessary for... peace and safety... as to render its use impracticable,... it would then be an injury, of which we should be entitled to demand redress." --Thomas Jefferson: Report on Navigation of the Mississippi, 1792. ME 3:178
    Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass.Mark Twain - Notebook, 1898
    Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence in society. --Mark Twain

  9. #9
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Green Mountains
    Posts
    18

    Re: Reciprocity/NICS Fix ; From duty to be armed to permission to carry

    This for the win. GMB
    Quote Originally Posted by tennmike View Post
    And that right there is why I'm leaning towards being against it. I'm still not really comfortable with CCW licensing as it is; when a right has been subverted to a privilege there's something really wrong.

    I'll just leave this here:

    "Were [a right] to be refused, or to be so shackled by regulations, not necessary for... peace and safety... as to render its use impracticable,... it would then be an injury, of which we should be entitled to demand redress." --Thomas Jefferson: Report on Navigation of the Mississippi, 1792. ME 3:178

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •