Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Self defense without a gun

Re: Self defense without a gun

Or toe, dont want to get to much blood on the pants.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene L View Post
    My interpretation of a knife-fight situation is more grim and a fight for my life. Hence the quickest way to end the fight with deadly force, which I think is stabbing.
    I can think of nothing quicker than disabling the arm that is holding the deadly weapon, followed immediately by cutting anything else I can reach as fast as I can. If you can get close enough to stab someone in a vital area, you expose your own vital areas to the same. If I'm going to get cut, and I am if somebody comes with a knife, I want my wounds to be on whatever I stick out there to protect my vital areas, and I want to slash that person's wrists and elbows in the process. Sure, if you're in a bear hug, stabbing may be more efficient, but I would much rather keep things at arms length, given the opportunity.

If you observe the 21-foot rule, the scumbag is going to need a very long arm, or a knife duct-taped to a full length of water pipe.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    Just an old fart making the PC Patrol earn their pay!

Know the vital areas of the human body, eyes, neck, solar plexus, groin ect. When accosted move toward the attacker and strike, punch or poke the most reachable target. The attacker is expecting you to move away and protect yourself. By attacking the attacker you have violated HIS space. Once you are inside his punch radius deliver as much damage as possible as quickly as possible and then leave. Kicking someone in the groin works if A. You hit the target and B If they aren't on drugs. A snap kick (or knee) to the body above the groin and below the belt line is effective too. 300 lbs of pressure in that are will separate the cartledge at the bottom of the pelvis effecting the operation of the hips. Formal training is good and will help but quick aggressive action is the key. Look into some defense courses on line. Target Focus Training by Tim Larkin is very good. Go to a second hand sporting goods store a get a heavy punching bag to practice defensive moves and striking technics for strength training and muscle memory. Remember they aren't ready for your attack in if they are closer than 21 feet you couldn't get your gun out anyway. Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.

Quote Originally Posted by bisley View Post
    I can think of nothing quicker than disabling the arm that is holding the deadly weapon, followed immediately by cutting anything else I can reach as fast as I can. If you can get close enough to stab someone in a vital area, you expose your own vital areas to the same. If I'm going to get cut, and I am if somebody comes with a knife, I want my wounds to be on whatever I stick out there to protect my vital areas, and I want to slash that person's wrists and elbows in the process. Sure, if you're in a bear hug, stabbing may be more efficient, but I would much rather keep things at arms length, given the opportunity.
    If you are about to be bear hugged from the front and have a knife, raise both hands as you're being hugged. Then you can work on the base of the skull with the knife. And the carotid arteries are there for the cutting, too. With no knife, if you have at least one arm free, then gouge your thumb into the inside corner of the eye at the nose and rip the eye out. Especially effective tactic for women and younger kids. Doesn't take a lot of physical strength to pop an eyeball out of the socket. And reaching around the head and gouging the other one with the middle finger is also an option.
    Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass.Mark Twain - Notebook, 1898
    Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence in society. --Mark Twain

Just for fun, took a pic of what I was carrying today...

1224171353a.jpg
    Support your local Scouts!

Head butt works for a front or rear bear hug as well as a foot stomp. If arms are trapped after first contact drop in bear hug and raise the arms, sidestep and throw a hammer fist to groin and elbow strike with the other hand to head or neck. Step forward and leave attacker standing or laying there. This has to be automatic and with maximum force to insure escape. Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene L View Post
    Zee, I think you and I are imagining different self defense scenarios. I'm assuming an attack where deadly force is justified and you apparently are not, since you want merely to stop the attacker. A knife is a deadly weapon just like a gun, and the SD situation must justify the use of a deadly weapon, which means your life is in danger. To me this is a severe situation beyond just getting jumped on and wrestled about. Just to get someone off you implies your situation is not dire, which would call into question cutting someone with a deadly weapon in the first place. If the guy is trying to kill or serious injure you, which is the basis for using deadly force, of course you only want to use enough force to stop the threat.

With a firearm, we shoot to stop the attack when justified. We don't shoot him in the arm or leg. We're taught to shoot center of mass as this is the most likely to stop the attack. Once the decision to use deadly force is reached, one must accept the seriousness of the situation in order to justify use of deadly force. For me the rule of center of mass is still the correct choice.

My interpretation of a knife-fight situation is more grim and a fight for my life. Hence the quickest way to end the fight with deadly force, which I think is stabbing.
    Knife or gun; itís irrelevant. If you defend yourself with either itís using deadly force. Find me a grand jury anywhere that wonít consider a knife a deadly weapon any more or less than a gun. Whether I use a gun or a knife the intent is to stop the threat. My attackerís death comes as a completely separate matter. Sometimes they die before they cease being a threat and sometimes not.

If a 5.56 round dead-center mass isnít always incapacitating OR fatal whybassume stabbing is the same? Internal lacerations without violently destroyed flesh are poor bleeders. The thoracic/neck region, splayed wide open, is the surest route to an attackers incapacitation and eventual exsanguination. And note I say eventual.
    ďThere are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.Ē Ė Will Rogers

At my age,ain't likely to happen

Quote Originally Posted by 104RFAST View Post
    At my age,ain't likely to happen
    Being an old fart, i find a police baton an easy to carry ,easy to deploy item. A friend who is a retired trooper advised that the last thing an assailant expects is for the intended victim to be aggressive. Attack with a hard hit to the throat and events will end.
    We do not view the world as it is, but as we perceive it to be.