Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nikki Haley

Nikki Haley

I think she's doing a great job as Ambassador to the UN. She's one of the best cabinet choices, along with the Mad Dog.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

Re: Nikki Haley

Her stock has gone up significantly in recent weeks

Yep. "It won’t be forgotten."
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"
    "Religion can't be allowed the coercive power of government,
    government can't be allowed the 'moral' justification of religion."

I think she's a promising woman in politics. I can't think of any other younger woman who's more attractive and strong. She was a good governor, intelligent where it counts, and has a strong voice of conviction. I'd like to see her run for high office.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

We’ll be taking names... ABOUT FREAKING TIME!!!
    UN budget has been reduced by over $280 million because someone is finally paying attention!
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

I like her.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.

For an article in the New York Times:

Then on Sunday, when United Nations members reached agreement on a 2018-2019 budget of $5.4 billion, Ms. Haley issued a statement emphasizing the American role in achieving more than $285 million in cuts, along with hints of more reductions to come.
    “We will no longer let the generosity of the American people be taken advantage of or remain unchecked,” Ms. Haley said. In future negotiations, she said, “you can be sure we’ll continue to look at ways to increase the U.N.’s efficiency while protecting our interests.”

Under a formula tied to economic size and other measurements established under an article of the United Nations Charter, the United States is responsible for 22 percent of the United Nations operating budget, the largest contribution. It paid about $1.2 billion of the 2016-2017 budget of $5.4 billion.

The United States also is the largest single financial contributor, at 28.5 percent, to a separate budget for United Nations peacekeeping operations, which totals $6.8 billion in the 2017-2018 budget finalized in June.
    Then, as now, Ms. Haley took credit for cuts to that budget, which she said had exceeded $500 million. “We’re only getting started,” she said at the time.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

She's a keeper!
    Political correctness is a liberal degrading of the freedom of speech. George Orwell's 1984 famously incorporated the notion of limiting thought through language (see Newspeak)." Meanwhile, the beatings will continue until morale improves around here.

I think she’s paid for herself rather nicely...

Weren’t a bunch of democrats just whining about how we can’t pay for the tax cut bill? I think $500 million is a nice start
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

22% of $500 M is $110M. Now we only have to find ways to cut 10,000x that to pay for the tax cuts
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho

I'm a fan.

It's about time we had someone with a SPINE at the U.N.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seven habits of highly effective pirates
    Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

I like her. Few things in her past I didn't like but she is telling them like it is for now.
    We as a country have a blown engine, a transmission that slips in every forward gear, and a rear diff with a loud whine. And our politicians keep trying to spray armorall on the tires and proudly step back as if they are helping fix the car.

Quote Originally Posted by alphasigmookie View Post
    Now we only have to find ways to cut 10,000x that to pay for the tax cuts
    Exactly...what do you suggest? I realize it's tough for a lefty to reconcile a tax cut and spending reductions, but here we are. Over $20T in debt.

On topic: Nikki Haley is a decent pol. I hope her next suggestion is defunding to entire UN. Move the HQ to ___________.
    Last edited by CaliFFL; 12-26-2017 at 02:20 PM.
    The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by CaliFFL View Post
    Exactly...what do you suggest? I realize it's tough for a lefty to reconcile a tax cut and spending reductions, but here we are. Over $20T in debt.

On topic: Nikki Haley is a decent pol. I hope her next suggestion is defunding to entire UN. Move the HQ to ___________.
    I know slightly off topic and I know big numbers are hard for people, but it's like we spent $10,000 on a luxury gun we didn't need and couldn't afford and then getting excited about saving less than $2 on a box of ammo. And yes that's the literal equivalent for the federal budget in terms of a personal budget of the tax cuts vs. UN savingd. But yes sure, every $2 matters.

As for the original topic Haley is ok. Better than most Republicans in my book. We'll see. I get the UN is super unpopular around here. I'm more isolationist than most, but I also don't see the point of being jerks on an international stage. There is a fine line between saying we're not going to be nice for the sake of nice and ticking off the rest of the world for no reason.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho

I know slightly off topic and I know big numbers are hard for people, but it's like we spent $10,000 on a luxury gun we didn't need and couldn't afford and then getting excited about saving less than $2 on a box of ammo. And yes that's the literal equivalent for the federal budget in terms of a personal budget of the tax cuts vs. UN savingd. But yes sure, every $2 matters.

As for the original topic Haley is ok. Better than most Republicans in my book. We'll see. I get the UN is super unpopular around here. I'm more isolationist than most, but I also don't see the point of being jerks on an international stage. There is a fine line between saying we're not going to be nice for the sake of nice and ticking off the rest of the world for no reason.
    Doesn't matter ONE bit how we were to present the idea that we were not going be be giving them as much money. Not even a little. We could have Ghandi draft a memo stating we weren't gonna give as much money, or we could say piss off, good luck on finding funding. Would matter one bit. We would be the great Satan in the worlds eyes. Might as well do it with some balls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post

I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men.

Sorry, but the rest of the world seems to need us (our $$ anyway) more than we need them. So why continue to bend over and kiss their collective asses?
    Quote Originally Posted by Seven habits of highly effective pirates
    Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

I know slightly off topic and I know big numbers are hard for people, but it's like we spent $10,000 on a luxury gun we didn't need and couldn't afford and then getting excited about saving less than $2 on a box of ammo. And yes that's the literal equivalent for the federal budget in terms of a personal budget of the tax cuts vs. UN savingd. But yes sure, every $2 matters. This has been the liberal mantra that you've chanted for all the years that you've been on the forum, "bla, bla, bla, billion is insignificant when you compare it to bla, bla, bla." Those of us that big numbers are "hard for" still understand that our countrie's financial issues can't be corrected in one motion and can only be done incrementally and even the smallest increment is a step in the right direction.

. Placing the best interest of OUR country ahead of allowing other countries to take advantage of our generosity makes us jerks?
    Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me

Ticking off the rest of the world for no reason? I think the overwhelming vote to condemn the US for moving its embassy to
    Jerusalem is reason enough. The world ticking us off should be accepted without response? The US provides more money to the UN than all other countries combined. We should have a voice. I'm not against the UN as a concept, but it's a concept whose execution is flawed. Name three positive things the UN has done in the past three years.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

A simple “ thumbs up “ ..

We need to manage the billions spent better. Next up Welfare Reform and infrastructure improvements. Imagine turning low income families and non tax payers into tax paying Americans.
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings?

Don't forget UN cuts are for 2 FYs, Tax Cut estimates alpha wants to throw in the mix is a liberal estimate over 10 years
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

Now you give a damn about the deficit? Where were you when Obama doubled it?

Nikki Haley is doing well for Trump, while maintaining a relationship with establishment Republicans. I like her, and what she said at the UN. I'm quite sure that she is keeping all options open for career advancement, including getting along with the establishment Republicans. UN Ambassadorship is a relatively safe place for a politician who is learning the international ropes, because they are mostly delivering messages. If she doesn't get blown up along the way by bad foreign policy decisions (or spin to that effect), she could go far.

Quote Originally Posted by bisley View Post
    Now you give a damn about the deficit? Where were you when Obama doubled it?

Nikki Haley is doing well for Trump, while maintaining a relationship with establishment Republicans. I like her, and what she said at the UN. I'm quite sure that she is keeping all options open for career advancement, including getting along with the establishment Republicans. UN Ambassadorship is a relatively safe place for a politician who is learning the international ropes, because they are mostly delivering messages. If she doesn't get blown up along the way by bad foreign policy decisions (or spin to that effect), she could go far.
    I actually don't care much about the deficit. There is massive global demand for US treasuries as an investment instrument so that it doesn't really matter much. I just find it funny how so many Republicans claim to and then blow a giant hole in it and pretend it doesn't matter because tax cuts don't count. It's like holiday calories or something. The whole I just spent $1000 but saved 20 cents logic also bothers me.
    -DoctorWho

Quote Originally Posted by Diver43 View Post
    Don't forget UN cuts are for 2 FYs, Tax Cut estimates alpha wants to throw in the mix is a liberal estimate over 10 years
    Does that logic work on your wife? But the ammo is cheaper! Best case scenario still 1/500th of what was just spent over 10 years
    -DoctorWho

FOR NO REASON!!! Dear LORD! So basically getting screwed in the UN every opportunity they have by every third world crap-hole welfare state country we have donated everything from food to blood to seems like no reason to you!?!?!?! I WANT THAT LIST NOT ONLY TYPED FOR REAL BUT PUBLISHED!!!

I could give three craps about tying in the cuts to the UN to paying off the deficit. We need to cut spending at the UN because it is a BS organization that hates us.
    I actually don't care much about the deficit. There is massive global demand for US treasuries as an investment instrument so that it doesn't really matter much. I just find it funny how so many Republicans claim to and then blow a giant hole in it and pretend it doesn't matter because tax cuts don't count. It's like holiday calories or something. The whole I just spent $1000 but saved 20 cents logic also bothers me.

I like her. A lot!

I like the message that she and our president sent to the rest of the world. Even better, I like the follow up actions.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

As to the budget....while I'm merely a simpleton who doesn't math well...it still seems pretty simple.
    If I'm trying to save money, a surefire way to accomplish that is to quit spending money. A dollar not spent is a dollar not spent. Sure. It's one dollar. But you aren't gonna cut trillions of dollars in two wacks. It's the proverbial question of how do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. So with giving the F U to the UN, we've eaten a few bites of the elephant. Seems like a win win.
    And if it's soooooo important, how about the other countries pick up the slack ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post

I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men.

The whole I just spent $1000 but saved 20 cents logic also bothers me.
    Being a career lefty, you live and die by zero sum economic models because your religion/ideology requires a large element of class envy politics. You probably still ridicule trickle down economics, while pretending that it is something different from the plain old American capitalism that built this country. The rich get richer and the poor get old Buicks and big screen TVs.

The tax cuts to corporations and small businesses have much more value as an economic stimulus than the tax cuts to the middle class. It may not seem fair, but it works because then they are dealing with reality, rather than emotional prejudices...plus, it stimulates entrepreneurial spirit and that continually infuses new blood into the capitalistic mix.

If the Republicans actually had the balls to do what is needed, they would tax the poor, so that they would start asking where their tax money is being spent. Then, they would do across the board flat tax rates, and cut the spending to balance the budget. It will never get done, because austerity sucks, and the Democrats would be promoting riots in the streets to an even greater extent than they now do with their ginned up racism protests.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliFFL View Post

. Move the HQ to ___________.
    I'm thinking Juarez.....or possibly Antarctica...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"