Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boy shot his first deer of the season!!!

Boy shot his first deer of the season!!!

Rancher friend needed a few deer culled this evening to give to some ranch hands. He shot one early this afternoon and asked if my boy could come out and shoot one as well. Well........of COURSE!!!

We came out and zeroed some 95gr SST handloads I had as I wanted to use them up and test their terminal performance. Got them zeroed and headed out.

Poured out the corn along the ranch road past a feeder and set up next to an old rock wall with the Spec-Rest and .243 Winchester in a new MagPul Stock I had.

Of course, Precious (the tame doe raised from a fawn) had to come and check us out. preventing us from shooting the doe we were after for about 5 minutes until she moved out of the way.

Once she moved, I coached my boy through which deer we were after. Using a cow pie as a reference, I got him on the right one and he did a great job of tracking her as she moved through the mass of other deer. I told him to get on her and let me know when he was ready. He did and I watcher=d her walk around with deer in front or behind. When she was clear, broadside, and here front legs were in the right place, I said "Now".

The shot rang out and I saw the bullet impact through my binos, low behind the on side leg as she quartered away from us. A perfect heart shot!!!

She lurched and turned to her left. I told him it was a perfect shot as she stumbled away. Falling is relative short order (I will pace it tomorrow). My boy had taken his 6th deer in two seasons. I am a proud dad!!!

My rancher friend was sitting behind us, watching it all happen. Like a proud grandpa.

I'll get the autopsy up soon.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Re: Boy shot his first deer of the season!!!

Nice-----shake the young man's hand for me.
    This message has been otherwise modified by NN.

As all know, I've been using the 105gr Hornady A-Max and 85gr Sierra HPBT-GK to good effect in all things 6mm. Today, I decided to use something different. Caleb sent me a broken box of 95gr Hornady SST bullets several years ago. Not having many of them, I found a max load in the book, backed off 1 grain from max and seated the bullets to chamber length. Loaded them all that way. The load shoots about an inch and moves fast enough to test. So,. I wanted to see how they would do on a deer.

They kill deer. In case you were wondering. But, I have come to appreciate and enjoy the accuracy and damage caused by the A-Max and HPBT-GK. I did NOT experience the same level of damage with the SST.

Yes, it killed the deer and did ample damage to the internal organs as seen below.

Entrance at 73 yards.

Exit at 73 yards.

Entrance to rear lungs and heart.

Exit through front lung and heart.

Remainder of heart. (top/center)

I will pace off how far the deer ran tomorrow. I speculate it's around 50 yards give/take a little. What bothers me is that there was no blood to speak of on the ground. Yes.......looking hard.......there was some specks. Deer didn't live long. A matter of a hand full of seconds before she was down. In open country like it was........no issue. In thick brush, she would have been found........but it would have taken some work.

The 95gr SST is NOT a bad bullet!!!! I just appreciate the greater amount of damage and exit wound by the A-Max and Sierra than what I saw today. I am a realist. I know 1 result does not a pattern make. I will NOT bad mouth the SST from 1 experience. But, I do not have many of them and I know that I have a bunch of the others. I willnot be buying the SST in the future. Simple as that. It works from what I saw. I just prefer the others.

And..........I continue to be proud of my boy and his shooting ability. We still have work to do. But, that boy keeps smacking the deer and hitting them in the heart. Can't complain to date.

The young man did a fine job once again. Bravo!

As for the lack of blood, that has usually been the case for me with heartshot deer, regardless of the bullet used. The least amount of blood I have ever found after a shot was a heart-shot blesbok in South Africa. The lower face of the heart was sheared off by a 140 gr. AccuBond, yet we found virtually no blood on the ground.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Six-Gun View Post

As for the lack of blood, that has usually been the case for me with heartshot deer, regardless of the bullet used. The least amount of blood I have ever found after a shot was a heart-shot blesbok in South Africa. The lower face of the heart was sheared off by a 140 gr. AccuBond, yet we found virtually no blood on the ground.

I understand the concept of a damaged heart not pumping and therefore little blood flowing. But, this was the least blood outside the body of any of his six heart shot deer. And the least internal damage of any of them as well. So, 1 out of 6 and its the odd bullet out.

I think the 95gr SST would be an excellent bullet for larger than my regional deer. Put it that way.

On my deer, I want a softer bullet to do excessive amounts of damage. They ain't that big. So............I wanna blow crap up inside!!

Basically, the SST expanded and held together well, as it was designed to do. Resulting in a very small exit hole.

As you see in the pictures, the only blood flow came from the entrance. Little to none from the exit.

I think it would be good for game with greater realestate to cover.

On a side note:

If you see the bolt in the first picture and how it is in the "UP" position. That is how I run my bolt guns. Three stages:

Chamber Empty / Bolt Down
    Chamber Loaded / Bolt Up
    Chamber Loaded / Bolt Down / Finger on Trigger Ready to Shoot

Safety is ALWAYS in the "Fire" position. Never in "Safe" Mode.

It's good you had some time together.

Use the bullets you have confidence in.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.

Nice job...my experience with SSTs has the bullet turning everything in the chest to lumpy soup with not much (or any) exit wound and in the cases where there was an exit it was more than likely shrapnel.....but then I'm shooting a 165 grain.30 cal. at a longer range. I suspect the range had something to do with the fact it exited.

In any event.....well done!
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Congrats to your boy and his old man!
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

You still liking the MagPull Hunter stock?

Very good on the kiddo, and great story/ pics again as well. I'm taking my kid out for a hunt tomorrow.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

Quote Originally Posted by bullsi1911 View Post
    You still liking the MagPull Hunter stock?
    I took the barreled action out of the stock as soon as I got home.

Anyone want a Magpul 700 Hunter stock with extras?

I couldn't help but notice that your son is the spitting image of you.
    Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me

The apple has not fallen far from the tree. Congrats on a fine shot and harvest and your excellent autopsy photos.

My .308 SST's have not performed well in my .300 BO, I thought, because they are traveling too slow. I have had two through and throughs. For what my opinion here is worth I think you are showing the same issue at 3000 FPS. I looked up .243, 95 gr loads in my Lee manual and it seems that bullet should have been traveling between 2900 and 3000 FPS.

In my opinion it should have:

1. Produced significant hydrostatic shock
    2. Deformed and expanded
    3. Created a larger exit wound

...etc.

So, I think SST's are going to leave my reloading stash. I am sure there are better applications for them since they have been pretty accurate for my use. Head shots come to mind, but for standard broadside target hunting applications I am going to stop using them.

Thanks for the great report!

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings?

Nicely done! Steak and eggs for breakfast!
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain

Precious is like "what the actual just happened?!?!? "
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post

I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men.

Anyone want a Magpul 700 Hunter stock with extras?
    Wish I had something to put in it.

Congrats to your son and his proud papa
    Quote Originally Posted by Seven habits of highly effective pirates
    Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Congratulations to you both, great times in the field. Those memories never fade!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member

As all know, I've been using the 105gr Hornady A-Max and 85gr Sierra HPBT-GK to good effect in all things 6mm. Today, I decided to use something different. Caleb sent me a broken box of 95gr Hornady SST bullets several years ago. Not having many of them, I found a max load in the book, backed off 1 grain from max and seated the bullets to chamber length. Loaded them all that way. The load shoots about an inch and moves fast enough to test. So,. I wanted to see how they would do on a deer.

They kill deer. In case you were wondering. But, I have come to appreciate and enjoy the accuracy and damage caused by the A-Max and HPBT-GK. I did NOT experience the same level of damage with the SST.

Yes, it killed the deer and did ample damage to the internal organs as seen below.

I will pace off how far the deer ran tomorrow. I speculate it's around 50 yards give/take a little. What bothers me is that there was no blood to speak of on the ground. Yes.......looking hard.......there was some specks. Deer didn't live long. A matter of a hand full of seconds before she was down. In open country like it was........no issue. In thick brush, she would have been found........but it would have taken some work.

The 95gr SST is NOT a bad bullet!!!! I just appreciate the greater amount of damage and exit wound by the A-Max and Sierra than what I saw today. I am a realist. I know 1 result does not a pattern make. I will NOT bad mouth the SST from 1 experience. But, I do not have many of them and I know that I have a bunch of the others. I willnot be buying the SST in the future. Simple as that. It works from what I saw. I just prefer the others.

And..........I continue to be proud of my boy and his shooting ability. We still have work to do. But, that boy keeps smacking the deer and hitting them in the heart. Can't complain to date.
    I have a load for my .280 and a load for my 7 mag with that HPBT G.K. I haven't killed anything with it yet, but I'm about to try. We have 9 days of season left and I'm looking for another deer and carrying the 7 Mag with 160 Grain HPBT Sierra Game kings. If I connect with it I'll give a report.
    Last edited by snake284; 12-29-2017 at 09:17 PM.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Quote Originally Posted by Six-Gun View Post

I never find blood with any bullet. Hell, I'm color blind,
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Oh and most important, congrats to your son. That's awesome, six deer, so far, in two seasons. Heck I haven't done that myself in a few years.

As usual great story and pics. Congrats to your son.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT

FANTASTIC!!

Please give that young man a high five for me, he made an excellent shot
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

Outstanding. Congrats to the young man.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.

Thanks all.

I paced off off the distance from impact to fall. I guesstimated it at 37 yards yesterday. It paced out at 40 yards this even.

Quite different from the deer i shot this evening. But, that is for a different thread.

Your boy is getting damn good at this. You wouldn’t be looking to adopt would you?
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13

Quote Originally Posted by Farm Boy Deuce View Post
    Your boy is getting damn good at this. You wouldn’t be looking to adopt would you?
    You should do this Zee. You get tax breaks for adopting special needs kids.

I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men.

Quote Originally Posted by cpj View Post
    You should do this Zee. You get tax breaks for adopting special needs kids.
    Got my own helmet and everything, I am mostly house broken and I only lick windows on a full moon.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13

Quote Originally Posted by Farm Boy Deuce View Post
    Got my own helmet and everything, I am mostly house broken and I only lick windows on a full moon.
    Ha!