Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Novx 9mm luger +p arx®

Novx 9mm luger +p arx®

I know this is still new, but does anybody have experience with this? One of the main things that interests me is the reduced weight. My wife complains about how heavy her purse is with her Shield and two spare magazines. Anything I can do to remove an excuse for her to not carry.......

http://www.novxammo.com/cartridges/#product1

Re: Novx 9mm luger +p arx®

I'm guessing that they will be extremely expensive and it would be a pretty steep cost to save the weight of three rounds of ammunition. Carrying two spare mags kinda defeats the purpose of carrying a compact, lightweight handgun. I only carry one spare mag for my Shield.
    Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me

Cost is not much different from any other premium self defense ammo. The reason we both carry Shields was more about size and concealability than weight.....at least at first.

Quote Originally Posted by 10canyon53 View Post
    I know this is still new, but does anybody have experience with this? One of the main things that interests me is the reduced weight. My wife complains about how heavy her purse is with her Shield and two spare magazines. Anything I can do to remove an excuse for her to not carry.......

http://www.novxammo.com/cartridges/#product1
    If this gets her to carry then it's worth it.

Maybe, reduce the weight by only requiring the Shield and one reload. Beats a pointy stick.

I've seen the videos, and read the "glowing" reviews of those bullets...

Not sure I buy the hype, and can't say I'd be willing to swap my carry ammo for them. The may be the best thing going.... but just can't convince myself to trust my life, health, and well being to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seven habits of highly effective pirates
    Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

I would like to see some ballistics testing results....

If the gun is loaded with ball range ammo and no reloads she is better off than a high pitched scream. Make sure she is comfortable or the gun may be left at home
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

Here it what I posted on the subject some time ago [Feb of 16] :

I bought that box of Ruger ARX ammo today and took it to the field with 2 half gal milk jugs and filled them with water at the creek.

I was using a Blackhawk.
    Ammo shot to POA which was a pleasant surprise since it is 118 gr bullets and billed at 1307 fps. The jugs made a big slash when hit and flew off the section of pine log
    I had them on; one jug split in half and the other was torn up badly.

There were 2 issues, one of the rnds had to be pushed hard into a chamber in the cylinder to seat all the way and when I unloaded that unfired rnd it took a lot of effort to push it back out.
    The other rnds just dropped in and dropped out.

It is not dirty ammo though I only fired 2 rnds. I did not see any plastic smears in the barrel or chambers such as you can get from plastic wads
    in a shotgun barrel.

I shot at 4 hardcover books taped together, the ARX penetrated two books and lodged just inside the cover of the third book; that would
    be 900 pages and 5 hardcover sheets.

The ARX bullet did not deform and only slight chips were on the ridges, almost as if you could reload those bullets.
    The bullet did tumble and the scoops in the bullet face did clog with paper.

I'm still wondering about yesterday, when I shot the ARX it seemed like I heard a weird scream like sound until the bullet struck something.

Could those flutes in the bullet face be causing an aerodynamic screech, kind of like the sound of a compressor stall in a jet engine?

I shot some of that ARX today with a different revolver, I did not hear the screech; so, now I wonder what it was.

I won't be buying more.
    By fat Ned

Unless I am mistaken, the NovX is a similar design, but not the same product as the Ruger ARX. Lighter bullets at 65 grain and higher velocity (upwards of 1700 fps is claimed). If performance is comparable to hollow points then I think the fact that they weigh just over half what a brass cased round does could be a significant factor for concealed carry. Lower recoil should help with the accuracy of follow-up shots. Performance vs. clay is impressive, but clay is not the same as a human body. Since I do not have any ballistics gel, maybe I will buy some of these rounds and test them on watermelons. If I do, I will post the video here for "science".

Here is a non scientific, but interesting test of some similar hand loads of the same bullet weight but lower velocity:

Canyon, that's interesting. I've been following the saga of these kinds of bullets since their inception. I think I could pass on getting shot with these...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"
    "Religion can't be allowed the coercive power of government,
    government can't be allowed the 'moral' justification of religion."

Quote Originally Posted by zorba View Post
    I think I could pass on getting shot with these...
    I'd pass on getting shot with pretty much ANYTHING, if I had a choice
    Quote Originally Posted by Seven habits of highly effective pirates
    Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

The weight difference would be 2.5 oz for the 3 mags---------if your lady is like Clean there is something else in that purse
    that weighs a bit too, like the kitchen sink.
    By fat Ned

I don't see the need to carry spare magazines. Unless one intends to prolong a fire fight, the mag in the pistol should do the trick. The stats don't bear up the need for reloading in actual situations.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

I thought that too; at least drop one mag
    By fat Ned

I tend to lean towards being over prepared, not under prepared. Do I expect to need two reloads? Nope. Do I expect to need one reload? Nope. Do I expect to need to use the gun at all? Nope......but how many attack victims were expecting the attack when it happened? Realistically, the gun and mags do not contribute that much to the total weight of her purse, but if I can reduce the weight, she will decide that is not the main factor and quit whining. And to her credit, all she does is whine. She still carries, if only to keep me from nagging her. To tell you the truth, I am not positive she remembers I stuck the reloads in her purse. She only complains about the weight when the gun is in there, never when the reloads are but the gun isn't.

Soak a bundle of newspaper in water put a folded towel or 2 in front and shoot it and see if you like the performance.

One box of ammo is worth it to try.
    By fat Ned

Quote Originally Posted by Gene L View Post
    I don't see the need to carry spare magazines. Unless one intends to prolong a fire fight, the mag in the pistol should do the trick. The stats don't bear up the need for reloading in actual situations.
    Would those same "stats" bear up the need to be armed in a school? Or a church? Ever heard the expression "expect the unexpected"?
    Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me

Use what the FBI/LEO use. It’s been extensively tested in both labs and on the streets. Eight 65gr bullets saves you 0.89 ounces over eight 115gr bullets. And that is trading proven ammo for unproven ammo. If you want to shave weight from the gun, take it from the gun. Have some slide milling done to remove 0.89 ounces if it means that much to you/her.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers

Respectfully, if she has no underlying physical limitations and is complaining about the weight of an M&P Shield, then she probably doesn't really "get" why she's carrying a pistol in the first place. A few minutes spent watching the news or reading the paper, researching the antics of her fellow humans would be the place to start. It's just a little thing after all - a long way from being scoped Super Redhawk.

Second, contemplate ditching the third mag. Unless you truly ARE expecting the zombie apocalypse, the most likely use of the second one is to cover loss or malfunction of the first - more of a spare tire than an auxiliary gas tank.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee

Anything I can do to remove an excuse for her to not carry.......
    No.

Carrying a handgun is a pain in the butt, for everyone. It requires a good deal of commitment, and if the commitment is not there, she will find a reason not to carry. All you can do is try to influence her to balance the discomfort she feels with the good feeling one gets from knowing they have the option to fight effectively, in the unlikely event that it ever becomes necessary.

And to her credit, all she does is whine. She still carries, if only to keep me from nagging her. To tell you the truth, I am not positive she remembers I stuck the reloads in her purse. She only complains about the weight when the gun is in there, never when the reloads are but the gun isn't.
    Just keep reminding her of this:

Your carry gun should be comforting, not comfortable.” -- Master Trainer Clint Smith

If it's both then great you win. If not then remind her of this to avoid being a victim:

"Blessed are those who, in the face of death, think only about the front sight." -- Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by JasonMPD View Post
    Use what the FBI/LEO use. It’s been extensively tested in both labs and on the streets. Eight 65gr bullets saves you 0.89 ounces over eight 115gr bullets. And that is trading proven ammo for unproven ammo. If you want to shave weight from the gun, take it from the gun. Have some slide milling done to remove 0.89 ounces if it means that much to you/her.
    This.
    Less than once ounce weight savings will NEVER be noticed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post

I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men.

I would like to see some ballistics testing results....
    I put a .45 ACP round through two hams and a pelvic girdle of a ferret pig during ammo testing. The round penetrated the pig parts at 7 yards and some water jugs behind it. Kept going.

Left a pretty good hole.

I posted it here, but then Photobucket took all my pics hostage. So, you can’t see them in the thread anymore.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Actually the weight savings is not just the bullet itself, the stainless/aluminum casing is also significantly lighter. End result is reportedly about 65% of the total weight of a standard JHP. Also, we are not currently carrying 115 gr bullets. We currently use Remington Golden Saber 147 gr JHP rounds so the weight savings could be significant. Main question I have is performance. I would like to see someone other than the mfg. do some ballistics testing and publish it. Probably is still too new, but I am sure somebody will be along shortly. I would love to see the FBI test it, but I don't think that has happened yet.

Quote Originally Posted by bisley View Post
    No.

Carrying a handgun is a pain in the butt, for everyone. It requires a good deal of commitment, and if the commitment is not there, she will find a reason not to carry. All you can do is try to influence her to balance the discomfort she feels with the good feeling one gets from knowing they have the option to fight effectively, in the unlikely event that it ever becomes necessary.
    This has been a work in progress, and she is much more consistent than she used to be, probably just to shut me up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    Second, contemplate ditching the third mag. Unless you truly ARE expecting the zombie apocalypse, the most likely use of the second one is to cover loss or malfunction of the first - more of a spare tire than an auxiliary gas tank.
    She didn't carry any spare mags until I slipped them in her purse next to her holster after the church shooting in Texas.....again, over prepared, not under prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post
    I put a .45 ACP round through two hams and a pelvic girdle of a ferret pig during ammo testing. The round penetrated the pig parts at 7 yards and some water jugs behind it. Kept going.

Left a pretty good hole.

I posted it here, but then Photobucket took all my pics hostage. So, you can’t see them in the thread anymore.
    A ferret pig is deadly. They especially like existing tunnels and come up through manholes, spreading unholy terror. They especially like to attack anyone carrying baskets of corn, but will attack almost any food source.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

Quote Originally Posted by Gene L View Post
    A ferret pig is deadly. They especially like existing tunnels and come up through manholes, spreading unholy terror. They especially like to attack anyone carrying baskets of corn, but will attack almost any food source.
    By fat Ned

Here's an idea, carry the mags yourself and stop making her your packhorse.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician

I carry two 8 round extended mags myself, she carries two standard 7 round mags. See how reasonable I am?

In all seriousness, I am out of town on business very often....it would not help her if she got in a situation and I was carrying her mags in another state......