Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cull Buck & The”Pluck”.

Re: Cull Buck & The”Pluck”.

Quote Originally Posted by Six-Gun View Post
    How was the overall effect of those 65 grainer GameKings? I have those exact bullets loaded for my heavy-barreled .223 AR. From the looks of the lungs, they must have done a very nice job. Obviously, the deer thought so.
    He shot it just below the head in the back of the neck through the spine and into the throat. He dropped on the spot with no kicking.

There was no exit.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Ah, that's right. I saw the gut pile and spaced out thinking it was a lung shot.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post
    That’s more work than I’m thinking I want toio put into it. I think I’ll try some kind of stew with the heart, liver, lungs, and deer meat. Call it good and feed it to the guys.
    Whatever you do with it, that promises to be some fine venison.

My son in law has been eye balling a nice little 6 point lately that's a few inches narrow of legal. I've seen it from my car a couple of times from a distance but he says up close from his tripod it looks old enough to vote (for George Washington). He says it looks grey in the face. Anyway, tomorrow is the last day of regular rifle season and he's going for it.
    Last edited by snake284; 01-07-2018 at 05:57 AM.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

If it’s not legal, why is he going to shoot it?

Don't eat that crap unless you're starving. Lungs? Give me a break. They'll sustain, I guess, but like spleen, they're probably unetable unless you put a lot of spices on top of them, and probably not then. If you're not meat-starved, grind the rest of the meat, add some fat, and hamburger it. BUt not lungs and no balls...no scrotum, no anus, no trachea, no intestines.
    Last edited by Gene L; 01-07-2018 at 06:26 AM.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

Not saying I’m gonna like it. I already tried grilling the kidneys once and that wasn’t great. But, I’m gonna give it a try.

Not saying I’m gonna like it. I already tried grilling the kidneys once and that wasn’t great. But, I’m gonna give it a try.
    I've always wondered exactly how the Japanese figured out how to prepare blowfish so it wasn't lethal. You'd figure after the first couple guys died horribly, word would get around not to eat the thing. I expect some Shogun liked executing people by feeding them blowfish, and one day someone not only didn't die, but asked for the recipe. At that point, they talked to the chef and a delicacy was born.

My point being, it's probably better to experiment and learn if entrails need extra salt, pepper, cumin, etc... BEFORE you find yourself in straits so desperate that you need to eat entrails.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee

Lemme guess. They taste like piss?

I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men.

Quote Originally Posted by cpj View Post
    Lemme guess. They taste like piss?
    Pretty much. A sour ammonia taste.

Im gonna try soaking the ones pictured above in salt water this time, prior to preparation.

I've read that indigenous peoples ate that stuff regularly. Thing to ask is, what are the additional toxins ingested by the deer today as compared to a hundred years ago. And if there are significant additional toxins, where in the animal are they likely to accumulate?
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.

My basic rule for finding out if meat is good enough to eat is along the lines of what orchidman said. Salt and pepper it in thin slices or small chunks and frying it in bacon grease with onions, bell pepper (or those long, fat Mexican peppers with the insides removed), and lots of garlic. If it is at all edible, it will taste good with that combo. You could do a small quantity of each for testing before you ruin a whole pot of meat with other good stuff in it. You can also use small chunks of potato, but you have to cook them a while before you combine everything.

This is basically the way I make stew, before putting it to simmer with potatoes and carrots. It has chunks of beef, pork, and deer meat, typically. Just add some corn starch dissolved in water and bring it back to a boil and simmer till the gravy gets however thick you like it. I used to make about 5 gallons at a time in an electric roaster and took it on my annual dove hunt, with 10 or so other old farts. They would wipe it out the first or second day.
    Last edited by bisley; 01-07-2018 at 06:15 PM.

Im gonna try soaking the ones pictured above in salt water this time, prior to preparation.
    There has to be a way, for the kidneys. Lungs? I'm not so sure.
    I've had them on a skewer at a couple different places. Pretty good.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...ys-recipe.html
    http://www.mygutsy.com/how-to-prepare-a-kidney/
    Quote Originally Posted by breamfisher View Post
    It might not be more accurate, but why introduce accuracy to a discussion about inaccuracy?

Quote Originally Posted by jbohio View Post
    There has to be a way, for the kidneys. Lungs? I'm not so sure.
    I've had them on a skewer at a couple different places. Pretty good.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...ys-recipe.html
    http://www.mygutsy.com/how-to-prepare-a-kidney/
    Much grats.

Lungs are called "lights." Back when I was a kid and we killed hogs, the liver and lights were ground up and made into a mush. Heavily seasoned with sage. That's why I don't eat them today.

Additional information on lungs: https://munchies.vice.com/en_us/arti...s-to-eat-lungs
    Last edited by Gene L; 01-09-2018 at 09:31 PM.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

I used to skewer rabbit hearts, livers, and kidneys and BBQ them with the rabbit.

This was a store bought package of domestic rabbit.

Neighbor said he used to eat the liver, kidneys, heart, and lights from a deer.
    I tried the lights once-----actually one bite

I do like fried heart.
    This message has been otherwise modified by NN.

Ok Zee. The heart should still be ok. So should the liver, balls, and maybe the kidneys. The lungs are about 400 square feet of mucous membrane loaded with bacteria that has not had the luxury of an immune system from a living host in a few days. Bacteria love mucous! I think the window of time to give a good evaluation of lung as "eats" has closed. I would want to cook them up in the first 24-48 hours.

It’s all in the freezer.

Ok. But for science you need to sample them individually. Maybe some of these are good and some are not. Heart and liver are obviously very good if cooked right. I have heard good and bad about balls and kidneys. I have no clue about lungs.

I make stock from deer, turkey, pig, and bear bones. Do you know why? Because I do not want to waste anything from the animals. That, and stock at the store is stupid expensive. I have made soap from deer and bear fat-- I really don't like wasting anything from my game animals so I am listening. If I can get more from the resource, awesome!

Let me know how it works out.

That is exactly how you are supposed to prepare kidneys. Change the water a few times until there is no odor to it.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by Jermanator View Post
    Ok. But for science you need to sample them individually. Maybe some of these are good and some are not. Heart and liver are obviously very good if cooked right. I have heard good and bad about balls and kidneys. I have no clue about lungs.

I make stock from deer, turkey, pig, and bear bones. Do you know why? Because I do not want to waste anything from the animals. That, and stock at the store is stupid expensive. I have made soap from deer and bear fat-- I really don't like wasting anything from my game animals so I am liorks out.
    Deer Ribs make great stock. Boil them in a big canning pot. Then when you've put the stock in jars you can eat the meat off the ribs. It ain't bad lemme tell ya!

Actuall, you can almost lick the meat off the bones, it's so delicate and succulent.

Oh yeah, put some salt and black pepper in the water, minimum. Better with a few whole garlic cloves and a little onion cut up in it. This is one of the most flavorful parts of the whole deer and it's generally overlooked and thrown away.
    Last edited by snake284; 01-10-2018 at 08:02 PM.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post
    That is exactly how you are supposed to prepare kidneys. Change the water a few times until there is no odor to it.
    Yeah you gotta boil the piss out of 'em. Pun intended...

Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    Oh yeah, put some salt and black pepper in the water, minimum. Better with a few whole garlic cloves and a little onion cut up in it. This is one of the most flavorful parts of the whole deer and it's generally overlooked and thrown away.
    I save up my vegetable trimmings in the freezer. Carrot peels, onion skins and ends, celery tops, broccoli and cauliflower trimmings, stems off greens all go in the stock pot. Then I add some wine to give it a little acid (it helps to break down the collagen), garlic, parsley, peppercorns, a few bay leaves...

The best trick is to roast the crap out of those bones-- beef, chicken, venison, whatever-- put them in the oven at 450 until they are nice an dark then be sure to deglaze the pan.

If it’s not legal, why is he going to shoot it?
    He says it's older than Methuselah and his rack should be twice that size at least. I tend to agree. But Sunday afternoon he was on his tripod camoed up and the dumb ass woman on the lease did see him there and shot that deer literally right under him from the road. Pissed him off Big Time. All he had with him was his bow but he said if she would have been within 50 yards he would have put an arrow in her tire. The management doesn't mind us taking out genetically inferior animals but they do take a dim view of us shooting from the road. She could have killed my SIL. We will have pow wow about this incident next time the owner is in town.
    Last edited by snake284; 01-10-2018 at 09:19 PM.

I save up my vegetable trimmings in the freezer. Carrot peels, onion skins and ends, celery tops, broccoli and cauliflower trimmings, stems off greens all go in the stock pot. Then I add some wine to give it a little acid (it helps to break down the collagen), garlic, parsley, peppercorns, a few bay leaves...

The best trick is to roast the crap out of those bones-- beef, chicken, venison, whatever-- put them in the oven at 450 until they are nice an dark then be sure to deglaze the pan.
    That sounds scrumptious Jerm! You have a way with food bro!

It beats the ever living crap out of store bought stock/bouillon/broth. I pressure can that stuff too so we got a bunch in the pantry. I make straight veggie stock too.

This.

Back when I hosted the 'Desperate Housewives' dinners, one of the attendees who was a chef decided to make a game pie. She asked me for all the bones off the next deer which I supplied. She then 'roasted the crap' out of them, deglazed the oven dishes with a mix of port ( 70 yr old stuff from the basement) and red wine and stripped all the flesh to make the gravy. She also cracked all the bones and scooped out the marrow, ran it through a food processor to use as a 'thickener'.

One of the best meals we ever had.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....