Thread: Nearly got eaten by an angry goose today (and another great hunt)

Nearly got eaten by an angry goose today (and another great hunt)

Ok, mild exaggeration...BUT, I did have one exceptionally pissed off goose try its best to take me out.

It started with another big, snow-blown cornfield decoy setup with a couple of friends. The Platte River is pretty close to this spot and a LOT of birds were moving in our area as they are getting more and more desperate to find open water. They are also desperate to find exposed food sources, so we took rakes and cleared a lot of dirt patches and waste corn husks, creating the appearance of an active feed to trafficking geese. It was very effective.

So, like any good-spirited hunter, I proceeded to knock a few down. The second one came down pretty close to my blind, and it appeared quite dead at impact with the earth. As I went to retrieve it, another flock started working our decoys, so I dropped the retrieved goose next to my layout blind and climbed in quickly. The group that worked us broke off and flew to a different field, so I opened the layout doors and sat up to start scanning for more birds.

As soon as I sat upright, I heard something hissing extremely close to me. I looked to my left just in time to see a reanimated zombie goose bull charge me! It literally tried to climb the layout door to get inside and give me a good pecking at point blank range. I had to engage in close quarters melee combat with my shotgun barrel to keep him out. My buddies were useless to me, laughing uncontrollably as I struggled to get to my feet and buttstroke the enraged goose to its final demise. This was definitely a first... If only one of them had the sense to fire up their phone and get video, it would've been a prize for the ages.

After subduing the feathered fiend, we shot up some more, thankfully without further incident. Ended up with 9 for the day/3 a piece. Definitely a good hunt given that we didn't even get setup until after 2PM, and that I came home with both eyes and all of my digits after the avian assault.

Short video describing the setup:

The pull:

When a goose drops at the shot from 30+ yards up into snow, it makes for a pretty spectacular impact crater and surrounding blood splatter:

At these low temps, blood hardens rapidly into solid bits that are a bitch to conceal and stand out proudly to other birds working the decoys. It doesn't take much to flare educated, late season birds, so much of our time was spent trying to bury these little red balls after a salvo:

Speaking of blood, the snow cover on my layout is gonna need some laundering:

My friend is a really big boy, but with a little bit of ingenuity, some bed sheets and a sewing machine, he made himself a really nice set of button-down snow covers for his cold weather bibs:

It was a rewarding ride back to the trucks:
    Last edited by Six-Gun; 01-09-2018 at 04:56 AM.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

Re: Nearly got eaten by an angry goose today (and another great hunt)

That too bad your buddys did not get video of you and the goose, mano a mano.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11

Agreed. It would've been priceless. You wouldn't believe the gusto with which this goose came at me. It was like the bird actually believed that it had the upper hand. If it succeeded in getting into the layout blind, I seriously might have lost an eye. It was that pissed. It took a hard strike to the head with a back of my Benelli to put it down for good.
    Last edited by Six-Gun; 01-07-2018 at 02:12 PM.

That looks like an awesome time.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

No doubt an awesome time. We're probably going to go back out tomorrow. Temps are a little warmer, which should mean an earlier push.

I would have LOVED to have seen you in hand to hand with the zombie goose

I would have been useless for filming it too. I would have been too busy trying not to split my sides laughing so hard. I might have managed to stop laughing long enough to yell, "KNOCK HIM OUT JOHN" (Southern humor/Jerry Clower reference)
    Quote Originally Posted by Seven habits of highly effective pirates
    Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

I'd pay good money to watch a goose whip your ass. Double that to watch a goose whip your ass inside of a layout blind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post

I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Clower
    Well just shoot up in here amongst us...one of us gots to have some relief
    Quote Originally Posted by Seven habits of highly effective pirates
    Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Quote Originally Posted by knitepoet View Post
    I would have LOVED to have seen you in hand to hand with the zombie goose

I would have been useless for filming it too. I would have been too busy trying not to split my sides laughing so hard. I might have managed to stop laughing long enough to yell, "KNOCK HIM OUT JOHN" (Southern humor/Jerry Clower reference)
    Quote Originally Posted by cpj View Post
    I'd pay good money to watch a goose whip your ass. Double that to watch a goose whip your ass inside of a layout blind.
    Let’s just say that my hunt kit might now include brass knuckles.

Quote Originally Posted by Six-Gun View Post
    Let’s just say that my hunt kit might now include brass knuckles.
    My vote is for a Howdah or a Shockwave
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11

Better keep some sharp pruning shears in that blind.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.

Very cool, would have loved to seen a video of you CQB it just the story painted a good enough picture to have me laughing!
    Congrats on a good hunt.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member

I laughed my ass off reading about it, a video would have killed me!!

Nice story
    This message has been deleted by NN.

Next time just go tell the goose to pick on someone his own size.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13

We have some Canadas that are now really illegal immigrants around our pond. Come nesting time they get real mean. I can say from firsthand experience kicking a Canada with sneakers on is not a smart idea ... I’d sooner kick a bag of horse feed. The funniest thing though is look out and see a damn good Lab who’s an excellent field dog being chase Pd by a Canada with his tail tucked and yelping ... when provoked pound for pound a Canada can be a hand full. There is one bird I have run against that was worse and that is a Tundra Swan. The Tundra will beat you with silly with its 6 foot wingspan then bite you with it big beak reaching with its 2 foot neck. Here in NC swan are protected and you better not hurt one unless it’s during season, you have a swan permit and only ONE per season ... Mr Green Jeans don’t play about swan.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell

Good job Luis!
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain

It is hilarious to see a tame goose wearing somebody out who wasn't expecting trouble. I can laugh out loud just thinking about a Canada goose attacking a hunter in his blind.

Boy, would I like to have seen that! Maybe you should invest in a Judge, goose defense shotgun!
    Quote Originally Posted by breamfisher View Post
    It might not be more accurate, but why introduce accuracy to a discussion about inaccuracy?

Quote Originally Posted by Farm Boy Deuce View Post
    Next time just go tell the goose to pick on someone his own size.
    It was a lesser Canada goose, too.

Quote Originally Posted by jbohio View Post
    Boy, would I like to have seen that! Maybe you should invest in a Judge, goose defense shotgun!
    That’s a damned good idea for this singular scenario!
    Last edited by Six-Gun; 01-14-2018 at 04:15 AM.

Horseshoe Lake is a shallow Cypress tree lined lake in southern Illinois that's now a waterfowl sanctuary. In the 1930's it was one of the hottest goose hunting spots in the country, and there's still a lot of hunting done on the private farms surrounding the lake. Back about 1940, Mary's father and a couple of friends decided to free a flock of geese that had gotten themselves frozen into the ice on the lake one bitter cold night. About daybreak they launched a flat-bottomed boat and commenced to chop their way through a lot of ice to reach the stranded birds. Just one problem- - - - -nobody told the geese what these kind gentlemen were trying to do! Most of the geese had baseball-sized chunks of ice frozen onto their wingtips, and commenced to beat the snot out of their rescuers! That would have made quite a video!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    Just an old fart making the PC Patrol earn their pay!

The visual! Yeah, those birds aren’t to be taken lightly. One of the big warnings I read when training my dog is that you should never send a young dog to retrieve a goose unless you 100% sure it’s dead. One bad encounter with a live goose can injure and kill the confidence of an otherwise good dog.