Thread: Synthetic Motor Oil

Synthetic Motor Oil

After changing the oil in my old Dodge Ram I realized that there was a small amount of oil left in the container. So I emptied all four containers into one and have a little bit for lubing my guns. Anyone else using synthetic oil as a lube on their guns? Cheaper then gun oil ....

Patrick

Re: Synthetic Motor Oil

Been using it for years...have recently changed to synthetic ATF as a lubricant for my gas guns....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Yep
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.

I keep a squeeze bottle full of Mobil One that I use for most simple lubrication, one small drop at a time, mostly. I run everything pretty dry and add a drop here and there, as needed.

I use gun grease in all my carry guns but for extended range sessions I’ll overlube a little with synthetic ATF after my first few mags. Motor oil works just as well. Got some metal needle tipped applicator bottles from eBay so I can be precise in my application.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawker View Post
    Been using it for years...have recently changed to synthetic ATF as a lubricant for my gas guns....
    Why the ATF?

Quote Originally Posted by pjames777 View Post
    Why the ATF?
    The friction enhancers in ATF make the guns wear out quicker so he can buy more guns!

Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    Just an old fart making the PC Patrol earn their pay!

Nah, G96 lubes. No detergents and stuff like here are in ATF and car oil.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by JasonMPD View Post
    Nah, G96 lubes. No detergents and stuff like here are in ATF and car oil.
    The “detergents” in motor oil are not what most folks associate with when you think of laundry detergents. They are “dispersants” which clean up the by-products of combustion and keep them from sticking to metal surfaces. That in my mind is a good thing in guns and probably the reason most of my guns can be easily cleaned with a rag after a heavy range session. But for what it’s worth ATF has a much lower level of these “dispersants”.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post
    The “detergents” in motor oil are not what most folks associate with when you think of laundry detergents. They are “dispersants”
    Detergents and dispersants I'm motor oil are two different additives with different functions. The average quart of oil has approximately 22 additives, and several of them are there to counteract the bad effects of the supposedly good ones.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    Just an old fart making the PC Patrol earn their pay!

Logansport Indiana, by way of Hohenwald Tennessee by way of Cocoa Florida

I have, in the past, used the drippings after changing my own oil and I have used Marvel Mystery Oil. robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO

I have been using the same bottle of synthetic ATF for about 5+ years. Between that and grease on wear points, nothing has run my guns better.

If it can run a race car...........it can run my guns. They stand more friction and heat than my guns ever will.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

When I was out of the country for a year or more I put all my guns in tubs full of oil.
    Was messy to clean up but not a rust spot on anything.

I’ve run Mobil 1, Castrol Syntech and other motor oil along with occasional engine assembly lube on my work guns. My gas guns like Royal Purple MaxTuff on their BCGs especially ... an 8oz bottle has lasted about 2 years across 2 DI ARs for my kid and I.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell