Thread: 300 BO Pistol Build

300 BO Pistol Build

This will be my first attempt at building an AR. Won't be a complete build because I have ordered an upper.

Parts so far.

Lower receiver:

Stripped Ruger

Upper: PSA 8.5

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-8...516446449.html

Need some recommendations for a lower parts kit, BCG, charging handle etc.

Not looking for the cheapest stuff but I don't want to break the bank either. I have been thinking about putting a pistol brace on it. Did some searching on the forum and found an older pistol build thread (.223/556). Several folks were giving this brace some good reviews. Are the ones using it still liking it.

https://www.kakindustry.com/shockwav...-package-black

Open to all suggestion and recommendations. Been wanting try to this for sometime just finally decided to get the stuff together.
    We as a country have a blown engine, a transmission that slips in every forward gear, and a rear diff with a loud whine. And our politicians keep trying to spray armorall on the tires and proudly step back as if they are helping fix the car.

Re: 300 BO Pistol Build

Lower parts kits from CMMG are nice. Also if you have another trigger in mind Brownells sells kits minus grip and trigger group.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers

I just put the shock wave on my old Carbon 15 pistol and really like it. Solid for what it is.

I like this brace. It's comfortable. Against your arm. You know, since it's a brace. And not a stock.
    http://palmettostatearmory.com/sb-ta...-sbt-logo.html

Send me your phone number in a instant message. I think I still have it, but....
    I'll send a pic of mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post

I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men.

https://www.rainierarms.com/gear-hea...k-mod-2-black/

This one is crazy expensive, but is push-button adjustable. And isn’t a “stock”. And makes the NFA useless.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by JasonMPD View Post
    Lower parts kits from CMMG are nice. Also if you have another trigger in mind Brownells sells kits minus grip and trigger group.
    I have that kit in a cart or two. Is the trigger with it ok?
    We as a country have a blown engine, a transmission that slips in every forward gear, and a rear diff with a loud whine. And our politicians keep trying to spray armorall on the tires and proudly step back as if they are helping fix the car.

Quote Originally Posted by cpj View Post
    I like this brace. It's comfortable. Against your arm. You know, since it's a brace. And not a stock.
    http://palmettostatearmory.com/sb-ta...-sbt-logo.html
    Temporarily out of stock. Looks good though.

Quote Originally Posted by terminator012 View Post
    It’s a mil spec trigger. 5.5 - 8.5 pounds. It’s safe and reliable.

Joe Bob's Outfitters has hiperfire triggers on sale. I have not used their cheaper triggers but people I know who have like them a lot. I have a 24C and a 24 3G and love them. Check AIM Surplus for your BCG unless you are looking for 40 dollar Palmetto one.

What made you buy a Ruger lower?
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician

Quote Originally Posted by BAMAAK View Post
    Joe Bob's Outfitters has hiperfire triggers on sale. I have not used their cheaper triggers but people I know who have like them a lot. I have a 24C and a 24 3G and love them. Check AIM Surplus for your BCG unless you are looking for 40 dollar Palmetto one.

No gun shop near me sells lowers. I would of had to order online and pay 35 dollar FFL fee at the shops around here. Walked into a local Academy sports and they had just started selling them and they had them on sale. Thus I ended up with the Ruger.

Quote Originally Posted by BAMAAK View Post

Right to Bear Arms often sells Toolcraft BCGs for $70 on sale from $120. Great BCGs with a manufacturer source you can actually trace to a source.

I have that KAK shockwave brace. Works well enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by breamfisher View Post
    It might not be more accurate, but why introduce accuracy to a discussion about inaccuracy?

For a GP trigger, the PSA "enhanced mil-spec" is a good one.
    I've got it in a couple of lowers
    Quote Originally Posted by Seven habits of highly effective pirates
    Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

I should add that for a 300 BO build, don't try to get fancy with the buffer, spring, and such. An H1 or H2 buffer and a standard carbine spring is appropriate. A barrel with a pistol length gas system is also appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by knitepoet View Post
    For a GP trigger, the PSA "enhanced mil-spec" is a good one.
    I've got it in a couple of lowers
    That's a good price.

Thanks for all the replies so far. Keep em coming. I'm looking at all the suggestions.

Thanks for all the replies so far. Keep em coming. I'm looking at all the suggestions.
    Sub-sonic ammo can be finicky without use of a suppressor. A common misconception is that sub-sonic ammo in 300 BO just runs in all gun configurations. Not so. You can typically get ammo cycling in many configurations, but bolt lock-back may be sporadic in home-builds especially. This shouldn't be a deal-breaker for your build, just understand that subs might be finicky. Do some research about proper gas port size and the company you order from.