Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kimber coming to Alabama

Kimber coming to Alabama

Quote Originally Posted by cpj View Post
    yes. This.

Me to/too/2/two/tú/toi

Well played Alph, you win the forum for this 48hr period.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C

Quote Originally Posted by BAMAAK View Post
    Happily, the Toyota/Mazda plant will be built in the next county, land Huntsville annexed. There will still be added traffic on not enough roads. I swear during rush hour, there are more TN. cars on the roads then AL.

For those that have by there, it's out by the new Larry's. Much closer to the airport and intermodal shipping.
    I wonder why all the TN plates

I will admit having been to Alabama a few times there are some ok pockets and as Eli said it's definitely better than Mississippi! Mostly just salty because your football team keeps winning national championships without having to go through the Buckeyes ;-)
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho

Re: Kimber coming to Alabama

Quote Originally Posted by alphasigmookie View Post
    I wonder why all the TN plates
    Taking advantage of the good paying jobs without the embarrassment of actually living there!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    Just an old fart making the PC Patrol earn their pay!

Quote Originally Posted by Fisheadgib View Post
    It makes me sad to see you post statements like this because I like Alabama even though I don't live there and I have been all over the state and the demographic varies quite a bit according to the location.
    I like a lot of things about living in 'Bama...but if you look at it objectively, it kinda sucks.

Corrupt politicians, from local mayors all the way to the governor. Infrastructure that wasn't adequate for the population a decade ago, much less today. Exorbitant state, county, city, and in some cases local municipality taxes.
    Birmingham and Gadsden (my lovely home-town) are usually in the top ten violent crime cities every year. Our law enforcement agencies are ridiculously under funded. Our schools are generally behind everyone else in technology. Our local healthcare systems are generally a joke. ALL of our roads are trash...like literally all of them.
    Unless you're an avid outdoors-man who really enjoys occasionally stepping on used syringes and running up on meth-labs, or you have specific business in downtown Huntsville, Birmingham, Tuscaloosa, or Auburn...there's really not much of a draw.
    Last edited by Eli; 01-10-2018 at 06:49 PM.

The differences between north Alabama and south are significant. I live in the county and pay 5.5 percent sales tax. My property tax is like 400. Bucks a year. Nearly ever school, good or bad is new or near new or rebuilt. We have STEM programs and magnate schools. Politicians are politicians no matter where you go. Most of our roads are ok. The TN. River is one of the best waterways in the country for boating and fishing.

I agree Central and parts of south AL leaves a lot to be desired but has some good things. Smith lake is fantastic, CMP is the best public range there is, gulf shores is nice and more affordable then FL. Birmingham should be blown up except UAB medical center.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician

South central and coastal Alabama are way different than the rest of the state. Except Mobile, that sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me

I almost forgot about hunting, if you like to deer hunt, south central Alabama has a crazy concentration of deer. When I hunted near Dozier, if you didn't see two or three deer every hour or two, you thought something was wrong. It was easy to fill the former two doe a day limit.
    Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me

Quote Originally Posted by Eli View Post
    I mean...you're not incorrect.

As I've always said, when queried about which is the worst state in the country...Thank god for Mississippi.
    And to think that Mississippi was THE WEALTHIEST STATE IN THE U.S., but that was before the Civil War. A lot of fortunes changed hands during and after. PUN INTENDED!
    Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass.Mark Twain - Notebook, 1898
    Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence in society. --Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Buford View Post
    How are they losing something they never had. The article said it's building a plant there not relocating headquarters.
    Now, Buford! Since the new plant facilities will not be built in NY, then there will be no building and equipment to tax, no income from the plant or workers to tax, and no other of the myriad of taxes that go with building a plant. But you're right in one way. NOO YAWK can't tax what ain't there!
    Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass.Mark Twain - Notebook, 1898
    Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence in society. --Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by tennmike View Post
    Now, Buford! Since the new plant facilities will not be built in NY, then there will be no building and equipment to tax, no income from the plant or workers to tax, and no other of the myriad of taxes that go with building a plant. But you're right in one way. NOO YAWK can't tax what ain't there!
    Correct. They lost all of that. And....this gives Kimber options to close up shop there. Which they will, once the new plant is complete.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post

I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men.

Quote Originally Posted by tennmike View Post
    And to think that Mississippi was THE WEALTHIEST STATE IN THE U.S., but that was before the Civil War. A lot of fortunes changed hands during and after. PUN INTENDED!
    By per capita wealth and only when you didn't include the slaves doing all the labor as people.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho

Quote Originally Posted by alphasigmookie View Post
    By per capita wealth and only when you didn't include the slaves doing all the labor as people.
    No, by actual measurable dollar worth of all the products that were sold by the state. Before there was beef from West of the Mississippi, and hogs, geese, sheep, goats, chickens, and turkeys from elsewhere, most all that came from the South. And most of it was raised by families, white AND free black, that used the free range to grow them. Same for FL, GA, and TN. While the North raised all these things, they did not raise enough to supply their needs.

And there were a lot of slaves in the Northern states, too. Why don't you do yourself a favor and study how Wall Street in NYC got its name. You might be a bit surprised, and WHO did business there would surprise you even more. That's assuming you're willing to find out some ugly truths.

IIRC I think I read that a very large shipyard turned out the biggest volume of Liberties there

I recall something about those landing crafts being designed and built by a genuis type guy down south somewhere

Quote Originally Posted by early View Post
    I recall something about those landing crafts being designed and built by a genuis type guy down south somewhere
    Higgins boats, originally from New Orleans. Shallow draft flat bottomed boats with the propeller in a protected tunnel, originally designed during prohibition to smuggle whiskey through the Mississippi delta. When prohibition was repealed and the company was on the verge of bankruptcy Higgins modified the boats with a falling front ramp so soldiers could attack from beach landings without climbing over the sides.
    Jerry

That's it
    Seems like whiskey has done alot good sometimes.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.

Joe Kennedy bought one presidency, and almost another one with money made from bootlegging Scotch through Canada, and if Teddy hadn't drowned his pregnant girlfriend, there might have been a third Kennedy in the running.
    Jerry