Thread: Oldest son gets great new job!

Oldest son gets great new job!

My oldest son Mike is 31 and after many starts and stops he finally finished his college degree last May! He's been working as a tech for AT&T in the Dallas area the last four years. Since graduating he's been looking for what he calls a job with a great company, a horizon and growth potential from within. He's interviewed for quite a few jobs since graduating. Been turned down and offered a few jobs but he never felt the fit. On Wed he had his final interview. He sat with three other candidates as they each went through the interview process with different folks. He said he rotated between six different people with each interview being almost an hour. He always felt he nailed each interview. He said interviewing for all the other jobs helped hone his interview skills. He chatted with one person interviewing who had a lot of prior experience as well as his MBA. He said it didn't bother him or intimidate him.

Afterwords he called me and said he was drained and thought it went well. They told him they would let him know by Monday. This evening at 4:55 PM he received a call from HR with a job offer and that it would be emailed in the morning. They worked out a time tomorrow to go over it. I told him this was the fun part...negotiating! He said in the interview they seemed firm on what they wanted to offer. I let him know there's always a bit of wiggle room in firm.

The only hiccup is health benefits don't kick in for 30 days and they have one year old. I said when you give your two weeks notice ask AT&T to extend your benefits till the end of the month or see how much it would cost to keep them for a month. Probably won't work and they'll go without for 30 days which makes mom and I a bit nervous!

Anyhow a big shout out of congrats to my oldest son Mike!
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21

Re: Oldest son gets great new job!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff in TX View Post
    Probably won't work and they'll go without for 30 days which makes mom and I a bit nervous!
    Don't do it.

You can buy catastrophic short-term "gap" insurance for a hundred or so.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"
    "Religion can't be allowed the coercive power of government,
    government can't be allowed the 'moral' justification of religion."

What’s the job?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by LMLarsen View Post
    What’s the job?
    Sales with a large nationwide plumbing wholesaler. Sorry can't remember the name.
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21

The only hiccup is health benefits don't kick in for 30 days and they have one year old. I said when you give your two weeks notice ask AT&T to extend your benefits till the end of the month or see how much it would cost to keep them for a month. Probably won't work and they'll go without for 30 days which makes mom and I a bit nervous!
    That will be a negotiation point. Company I am with now had the same sort of policy when I signed on. I told them that I have a family to take care of, and I cant plan when the kid will break his arm/ catch the flu.

Congrats to your son! Hope he knocks it out of the park.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

He may be able to keep his health ins from AT&T through COBRA.

Quote Originally Posted by RugerFan View Post
    He may be able to keep his health ins from AT&T through COBRA.
    My SIL got that for a few months after losing a job. It's expensive, but your son only needs it for a month.
    Political correctness is a liberal degrading of the freedom of speech. George Orwell's 1984 famously incorporated the notion of limiting thought through language (see Newspeak)." Meanwhile, the beatings will continue until morale improves around here.

Sales with a large nationwide plumbing wholesaler. Sorry can't remember the name.
    Advice for someone starting off in sales:
    Persistence is key. Don't be a pest, but be persistent. Don't give up if you get voicemail the first two times.
    If someone tells you to call them next week, CALL THEM NEXT WEEK. Use the CRM and outlook to make sure you don't forget.
    Keep your word.
    Don't be afraid to say "I don't know, but I will find out for you."
    Your boss is your customer.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

Quote Originally Posted by zorba View Post
    Don't do it.

You can buy catastrophic short-term "gap" insurance for a hundred or so.
    This. United healthcare has some good short term catastrophic plans for just this type of thing. Just have to read the fine print because they don't cover preexisting conditions.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho

Most employee health plans cover you thru the end of the month paid, regardless of when you terminate employment within that month. He may only be looking at a week or two "exposed," depending...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.
    NRA Endowment Member

I got the Cobra paperwork when I left my last job in Panama City............ $800/mo

Luckily new job's insurance was immediate
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson

Good news
    This message has been otherwise modified by NN.

Congrats to your boy. And a month wait isn’t bad at all. I know can happen in a month but most places I worked before going out on my own, I had a 6 month wait for employee benefits/insurance.