Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 34

Thread: Boudain

  1. #1
    Senior Member JerryBobCo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Podunk, Tx.
    Posts
    5,860

    Boudain

    Boudain is one of those Cajun food items I've heard about for years, but never tried. I have been told it's a "blood" sausage containing God knows what, and that sort of put me off of it. That all changed last night.

    I was in a meeting and a number of folks bought goodies. One guy bought some boudain that he bought from a local grocery store. It was delicious. I liked it so much I stopped at said store on my way home from the meeting and bought some. I can't wait for my wife to try it now.

    Who else has had it? What are you impressions of it?
    Jerry

    Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Big Al1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Panama City, Fl.
    Posts
    6,393

    Re: Boudain

    Most blood sausage is a little strong for me, but I like Boudin. I think the rice in it tones down the old band aid taste!

    There are several versions of boudin, the one made with blood is called boudin noir.

  3. #3
    Senior Member JerryBobCo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Podunk, Tx.
    Posts
    5,860

    Re: Boudain

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al1 View Post
    Most blood sausage is a little strong for me, but I like Boudin. I think the rice in it tones down the old band aid taste!

    There are several versions of boudin, the one made with blood is called boudin noir.
    The stuff I ate was pretty mild. It did not have a strong liver taste, or any sort of strong taste.

    The guy who fixed it cut the sausage into small pieces, rolled them into balls, rolled them in corn meal, and fried them.
    Jerry

    Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Fisheadgib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    crusted in sand
    Posts
    4,813

    Re: Boudain

    I started taking boudain to the SE shoot and grilling it for lunch and most everybody who tried it enjoyed it. I like to grill it until the casing is crisp but not bursting. It reminded me of a Hungarian blood sausage that my parents made that I really liked but without as much blood and it's usually made with pork liver instead of blood to get that flavor. I've tried about every type over the years and I like pork the best but crawfish is pretty good also. I have a package in the refrigerator as I type this.
    Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    .

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    9,150

    Re: Boudain

    I love it. The rice seems to take away most of the liverish taste, if any exists. I didn't realize it had blood in it; the stuff I had was white.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

  6. #6
    Senior Member cpj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    MOzambique
    Posts
    35,874

    Re: Boudain

    I love it. I did not however realize it was made with liver. I guess the rice kills the liver taste.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post

    I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men.

  7. #7
    Moderator Wambli Ska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Working on my tan!
    Posts
    24,112

    Re: Boudain

    I lived in New Orleans for a few years and when you talk about Boudin you need to be more specific. There are quite a few different kinds and they are vastly different in the way they are made and ingredients. The classic Boudin noir is made out of pork and pig blood with rice and is by far my favorite. It’s patterned after the French version it is also very popular in Catalan cuisine which is my cultural background. The British have a similar version of it and it is one of my favorites for breakfast when I’m in London. The white version of Boudin has no pigs blood in it.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

  8. #8
    Senior Member JerryBobCo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Podunk, Tx.
    Posts
    5,860

    Re: Boudain

    I had some for lunch. It was pretty good, but not quite what I expected.

    I cooked it by simmering it in a frying pan in a little water for 10 minutes. By the time I was finished, the 2 links were in pieces and I thought I was going to need a spoon to get all of the boudain out of the pan. But, it was still good, and a bit spicey as well. I'll definitely want to experiment with other ways to cook this.
    Jerry

    Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

  9. #9
    Senior Member MileHighShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    4,285

    Re: Boudain

    I'm a fan. One of the guys who comes up from Houston for elk season usually brings some. Not sure which type he brings, but it is tasty. There is local German themed tap house that always has several types of sausage, if they have boudain, I always order it
    Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.

  10. #10
    Moderator Linefinder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    3,838

    Re: Boudain

    In Louisiana it's illegal to sell blood (red) boudain, and I'd assume that's true everywhere, though maybe not. If the boudain you had was commercial, it was white boudain, which contains no blood.

    I grew up on boudain. Had some homemade red once and it was okay, but I wouldn't stand in line for it.

    White boudain (no blood) is what is commercially available. And the flavor from one to the other can vary wildly. I've had some I would happily eat six meals straight. I've had some I regretted even smelling. I even had one memorable package that tasted like nothing other than boiled pork liver. I've tried hard to forget that one.

    While oysters on the half shell may be an acquired taste for some, boudain really isn't. Kind of like spaghetti sauce, there's no cookie cutter recipe. Some spaghetti sauce you might like, some you won't. Boudain is like that. Once you find one you like, stick with it.

    Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter

  11. #11
    Senior Member JerryBobCo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Podunk, Tx.
    Posts
    5,860

    Re: Boudain

    Quote Originally Posted by Linefinder View Post
    In Louisiana it's illegal to sell blood (red) boudain, and I'd assume that's true everywhere, though maybe not. If the boudain you had was commercial, it was white boudain, which contains no blood.

    I grew up on boudain. Had some homemade red once and it was okay, but I wouldn't stand in line for it.

    White boudain (no blood) is what is commercially available. And the flavor from one to the other can vary wildly. I've had some I would happily eat six meals straight. I've had some I regretted even smelling. I even had one memorable package that tasted like nothing other than boiled pork liver. I've tried hard to forget that one.

    While oysters on the half shell may be an acquired taste for some, boudain really isn't. Kind of like spaghetti sauce, there's no cookie cutter recipe. Some spaghetti sauce you might like, some you won't. Boudain is like that. Once you find one you like, stick with it.

    Mike
    I found one I like. I can buy it at the grocery store that's about 2 miles from my house. Maybe if you ever get yourself down here I'll treat you to some.
    Jerry

    Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

  12. #12
    Senior Member knitepoet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    16,122

    Re: Boudain

    While I was working offshore, I found a place in Jennings LA that made a DELICIOUS boudain. It wasn't unusual for me to stop in and pick some up on the way home.

    And I found a shop south of Lafayette that made the BEST cracklins.

    http://www.boudinlink.com/Jennings_BoudinKing.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Seven habits of highly effective pirates
    Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

  13. #13
    Moderator Linefinder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    3,838

    Re: Boudain

    Oh, Jerry......cooking tip.

    Boudain is pre-cooked, so boiling it in water really makes it suck. Frying it doesn't do much better.

    Believe it or not, the microwave is your friend for this dish.

    You could roast it in the oven, but that just dries it out.

    Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter

  14. #14
    Senior Member bisley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    9,359

    Re: Boudain

    I'm pretty much neutral on Boudan. About half of it I have tried was very good, and the other half not. I will try it if somebody has it, but I don't buy it unless somebody has highly recommended it. I don't presently know where I can buy any that is guaranteed to be good, so I haven't. But, I would try it if someone offered me a taste.

  15. #15
    Senior Member JerryBobCo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Podunk, Tx.
    Posts
    5,860

    Re: Boudain

    Quote Originally Posted by Linefinder View Post
    Oh, Jerry......cooking tip.

    Boudain is pre-cooked, so boiling it in water really makes it suck. Frying it doesn't do much better.

    Believe it or not, the microwave is your friend for this dish.

    You could roast it in the oven, but that just dries it out.

    Mike
    Thanks for the tip. How long to you nuke it?
    Jerry

    Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

  16. #16
    Moderator Linefinder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    3,838

    Re: Boudain

    Till the gut wrapping starts to bubble. Then let it rest for 1-2 minutes.

    Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter

  17. #17
    Senior Member avmech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Swamps of south Florida
    Posts
    832

    Re: Boudain

    Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post
    I lived in New Orleans for a few years and when you talk about Boudin you need to be more specific. There are quite a few different kinds and they are vastly different in the way they are made and ingredients. The classic Boudin noir is made out of pork and pig blood with rice and is by far my favorite. It’s patterned after the French version it is also very popular in Catalan cuisine which is my cultural background. The British have a similar version of it and it is one of my favorites for breakfast when I’m in London. The white version of Boudin has no pigs blood in it.
    Catalan eh? Paternal roots are in Extremadura and Islas Canarias (grandparents, my dad was from a big island west of yours.......Cuba). Maternal was Switzerland, and ate a bunch of boudin in Switzerland when I was a kid, boudin noir.
    Last edited by avmech; 01-13-2018 at 01:05 AM.
    NRA Benefactor Member

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    9,150

    Re: Boudain

    Just needs to be warmed up, at least the white stuff. Tastes great. Makes me wish I had some now.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

  19. #19
    Moderator Linefinder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    3,838

    Re: Boudain

    Quote Originally Posted by Gene L View Post
    Just needs to be warmed up, at least the white stuff. Tastes great. Makes me wish I had some now.
    You and me both.

    I left Louisiana 14 years ago and haven't been back since.

    The only thing I miss nowadays is the fishing, and some of the food.

    My wife is a good enough cook that I'm not missing the food so much.

    But, I do miss the fishing. Unless you're really lucky, all you can catch here would be bait back there.

    Unless it's a trout.

    And between me and you....they ain't worth eating.

    Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter

  20. #20
    Moderator Wambli Ska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Working on my tan!
    Posts
    24,112

    Re: Boudain

    Quote Originally Posted by Linefinder View Post
    In Louisiana it's illegal to sell blood (red) boudain, and I'd assume that's true everywhere, though maybe not. If the boudain you had was commercial, it was white boudain, which contains no blood.

    I grew up on boudain. Had some homemade red once and it was okay, but I wouldn't stand in line for it.

    White boudain (no blood) is what is commercially available. And the flavor from one to the other can vary wildly. I've had some I would happily eat six meals straight. I've had some I regretted even smelling. I even had one memorable package that tasted like nothing other than boiled pork liver. I've tried hard to forget that one.

    While oysters on the half shell may be an acquired taste for some, boudain really isn't. Kind of like spaghetti sauce, there's no cookie cutter recipe. Some spaghetti sauce you might like, some you won't. Boudain is like that. Once you find one you like, stick with it.

    Mike
    You used to,be able to get it years back in a couple of restaurants and while it was outlawed for a while a few places have been able to work through the regulations and they have started making blood boudin again. You can get French Boudin Noir on Amazon...
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

  21. #21
    Senior Member JerryBobCo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Podunk, Tx.
    Posts
    5,860

    Re: Boudain

    Quote Originally Posted by Linefinder View Post
    Unless it's a trout.

    And between me and you....they ain't worth eating.

    Mike
    That's why God invented catch and release.

    But, they're damn fun to catch on a fly rod in fast moving water. I've hooked far more than I've landed, even using rodeo rules (8 seconds on the line counts as a catch).
    Jerry

    Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

  22. #22
    Senior Member jbohio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    In the sticks, OH
    Posts
    5,303

    Re: Boudain

    We've only ever had boudain in New Orleans......love it.
    All over NOLA, it's all different. Delicious.

    I've never seen it for sale locally. I'm going to try to make my own, soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by breamfisher View Post
    It might not be more accurate, but why introduce accuracy to a discussion about inaccuracy?

  23. #23
    Senior Member Fisheadgib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    crusted in sand
    Posts
    4,813

    Re: Boudain

    Quote Originally Posted by jbohio View Post
    We've only ever had boudain in New Orleans......love it.
    All over NOLA, it's all different. Delicious.

    I've never seen it for sale locally. I'm going to try to make my own, soon.
    If you ever come to another SE shoot, let me know ahead of time and I can bring you some frozen.
    Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    .

  24. #24
    Senior Member Diver43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Between Ft Lauderdale and Miami
    Posts
    7,060

    Re: Boudain

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisheadgib View Post
    If you ever come to another SE shoot, let me know ahead of time and I can bring you some frozen.
    We would not mind pitching in for some to go along with your fantastic shrimp
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    13,336

    Re: Boudain

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisheadgib View Post
    If you ever come to another SE shoot, let me know ahead of time and I can bring you some frozen.
    Yea. Put in for the time off NOW, not the week of. Jackass!

  26. #26
    Senior Member CHIRO1989's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Central MN
    Posts
    9,179

    Re: Boudain

    Quote Originally Posted by Jermanator View Post
    Yea. Put in for the time off NOW, not the week of. Jackass!

    Hey now, the lad has had several blows to the head with scopes, gentle reminders
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11

  27. #27
    Senior Member Fisheadgib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    crusted in sand
    Posts
    4,813

    Re: Boudain

    Quote Originally Posted by Diver43 View Post
    We would not mind pitching in for some to go along with your fantastic shrimp
    I'll be happy to bring some again and grill it for lunch.
    Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    .

  28. #28
    Senior Member Diver43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Between Ft Lauderdale and Miami
    Posts
    7,060

    Re: Boudain

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisheadgib View Post
    I'll be happy to bring some again and grill it for lunch.
    That would be great
    Let me know and I will pitch in for it.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

  29. #29
    Senior Member cpj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    MOzambique
    Posts
    35,874

    Re: Boudain

    Quote Originally Posted by Diver43 View Post
    That would be great
    Let me know and I will pitch in for it.
    Have you ever had duck sausage ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post

    I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men.

  30. #30
    Senior Member MileHighShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    4,285

    Re: Boudain

    Quote Originally Posted by Linefinder View Post
    You and me both.

    I left Louisiana 14 years ago and haven't been back since.

    The only thing I miss nowadays is the fishing, and some of the food.

    My wife is a good enough cook that I'm not missing the food so much.

    But, I do miss the fishing. Unless you're really lucky, all you can catch here would be bait back there.

    Unless it's a trout.

    And between me and you....they ain't worth eating.

    Mike
    You've got some pretty good walleye fishing not far away, finest freshwater eating there is. Course they're a bit of a task to figure out, especially from shore
    Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •