Thread: Commercial Washer and Dryer

Commercial Washer and Dryer

Made a new post rather than tag onto Jerry's.

Jermanator, you mentioned something I was going to ask you. We have 6 in our family, and washing clothes is a nightmare. I've done the expensive route, and now I'm back to the cheap, turn-dial route. The computers go bad on the expensive stuff, and these low water use, no-agitator washers are crap at cleaning clothes. So I got an older style, cheap, agitator washer and it's been great.

But the units are too small. I've been entertaining the idea of commercial units for a few weeks but the few Google searches I made weren't much help. Speed Queen seems to be the only one that comes up, but the reviews on them aren't great. Do you have any brands you are familiar with, or any other suggestions?
    Last edited by Buffco; 01-13-2018 at 03:43 AM.

Re: Commercial Washer and Dryer

My wife and I were justing talking about this tonite. She says the best washer she ever used (to clean cloth diapers and other whites) was..........

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson

This is easy. Sell the kids. BAM! Now your washer and dryer is perfect sized.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post

I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men.

I thought Speed Queens were supposed to be good these days.
    We as a country have a blown engine, a transmission that slips in every forward gear, and a rear diff with a loud whine. And our politicians keep trying to spray armorall on the tires and proudly step back as if they are helping fix the car.

Quote Originally Posted by terminator012 View Post
    I thought Speed Queens were supposed to be good these days.
    Me too. That's what I've heard "everywhere"...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"
    "Religion can't be allowed the coercive power of government,
    government can't be allowed the 'moral' justification of religion."

Quote Originally Posted by jbp-ohio View Post
    My wife and I were justing talking about this tonite. She says the best washer she ever used (to clean cloth diapers and other whites) was..........

My Mom kept one of these for washing work clothes so she didn't foul her "good" washer....everyone in the family was roughnecks, cowboys or working in the oil patch so our clothes saw some monumental crud....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

I have not done any looking into them yet. All I do know is that they are designed to actually be repaired and tend to last quite a bit longer. Maytag, Whirlpool, Speedqueen... they all have commercial models.

we purchased a speed queen last time- my wife was tired of the washer not cleaning clothes, me and my grandsons are always in the mud- regular mud, Georgia clay and coastal pluff mud- the speed queen lives up to it's reputation and has old style mechanical controls, no digital touch pad to go bad.

It will be interesting. The new ranch house is almost done. My wife wanted a top end loader washer without the agitator. She never liked the front end loader and has to have the new top loader. We're at Lowe's last labor day buying all of the appliances for the new house at their 40% off sale for the house. There's two plumper's in there getting supplies and the lady next to them ask what their favorite and best washer is. Both said Maytag, so my wife asked about the Maytag top loader without agitator and both said it's great if you like washing your clothes twice. To her reply to me, they don't know what they're talking about. We compromised and she bought the top of the line Maytag top end loader without agitator with bells and whistles. Well for me instead of paying $1199 it was only $720.00

Me I may get to say I told you so!
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21

Buffy, which machines crapped out on you and after what amount of time? I am having OK luck with my Samsung pair, I just replaced the front loading washer when the transmission and some bearings finally went, we estimated the loads we put through it and the sales guys were surprised at Best Buy, which I know is not saying much, but they knew their products OK. I talked to the guy that owns a couple of Laundromat's in my area and he says the commercial models are easier to fix when you need too, but they use a lot of energy compared to a residential model, so take that into account when you are estimating cost.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11

We went the expensive route and it crapped out 6 WEEKS after warranty. Talked to the repairman and ask about best reliability. Instant, firm answer, Speed Queen with ss tub and dials. Less than repairs on the Fisher Pical (sp). Works great, so far. (3 years). But, we only have two with occasional grandchildren or short term family. YMMV

Hawk

We have the Samsung front loader and only problem has been the pump (38 dollar fix) but I have never been happy with the regular cycle so wash on heavy duty and put Shout in with the detergent.

Quote Originally Posted by jbp-ohio View Post

We had one of those as a kid and ,also, had one similar that had a hand cranked wringer mounted on it..

And I vaguely remember clothes being washed using a wash board in a washtub on a stand and then run through a separate hand cranked
    wringer.
    This message has been otherwise modified by NN.

Quote Originally Posted by NN View Post
    We had one of those as a kid and ,also, had one similar that had a hand cranked wringer mounted on it..

And I vaguely remember clothes being washed using rocks as a wash board down at the crick.
    FIFY

More seriously, we had a wringer washer when I was a young child, my mother was convinced those newfangled "automatic washers" didn't get the clothes clean! When we got our first automatic washer, she watched it suspiciously for quite some time before she concluded that it actually did work! It was a Frigidaire with the agitator that bounced up and down rather loudly.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"
    "Religion can't be allowed the coercive power of government,
    government can't be allowed the 'moral' justification of religion."

Quote Originally Posted by NN View Post

And I vaguely remember clothes being washed using a wash board in a washtub on a stand and then run through a separate hand cranked
    wringer
    Not smooth rocks in the creek?

edit to add: Zorba was quicker on the draw
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11