Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Government Shutdown

Quote Originally Posted by Buford View Post
    And nothing is solved.
    Yep, can effectively kicked down the road for another couple weeks. We can revive this thread again in 3 weeks...
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho

Re: Government Shutdown

Quote Originally Posted by alphasigmookie View Post
    Yep, can effectively kicked down the road for another couple weeks. We can revive this thread again in 3 weeks...
    Pretty much!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"
    "Religion can't be allowed the coercive power of government,
    government can't be allowed the 'moral' justification of religion."

Schumer's intent is to keep the Congress so bogged down with these budget fights every three weeks that none of Trump's agenda can be addressed properly. They've got nothing to offer, and don't want anyone else to accomplish anything either. There is no telling what McConnell gave him to let this particular cluster**** pass into oblivion, but there will be another one just like it, right around the corner.

I look at all this as the Democrats being evil children that know all the tricks to get their milquetoast parents to jump through hoops, so they don't squall too loud in public places.
    Last edited by bisley; 01-22-2018 at 07:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bisley View Post
    Schumer's intent is to keep the Congress so bogged down with these budget fights every three weeks that none of Trump's agenda can be addressed properly. They've got nothing to offer, and don't want anyone else to accomplish anything either. There is no telling what McConnell gave him to let this particular cluster**** pass into oblivion, but there will be another one just like it, right around the corner.

I look at all this as the Democrats being evil children that know all the tricks to get their milquetoast parents to jump through hoops, so they don't squall too loud in public places.
    They learned well from Republicans for 8 years under Obama. What's good for the goose or something like that. Gridlock is the name of the game and will be pretty much indefinitely as long as the country remains so polarized.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho

Quote Originally Posted by bisley View Post
    Schumer's intent is to keep the Congress so bogged down with these budget fights every three weeks that none of Trump's agenda can be addressed properly.
    Immigration and border security are a big part of Trump's agenda and has been long overdue to be addressed. This move brings it front and center. Hopefully they don't do something too stupid, but what we currently have at the moment is severely stupid. Something less stupid would be a win, I guess.

Issue should be over by Morning
    I turned in the key to the can of worms
    They just issued me a new key

Quote Originally Posted by NN View Post
    Issue should be over by Morning
    For a few weeks at least...

Then it becomes "shampoo" all over again...
    Wash, rinse and repeat
    Quote Originally Posted by Seven habits of highly effective pirates
    Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Here's the history since 1976......

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.3e04b216a3e4
    Political correctness is a liberal degrading of the freedom of speech. George Orwell's 1984 famously incorporated the notion of limiting thought through language (see Newspeak)." Meanwhile, the beatings will continue until morale improves around here.

The Commiecrats blinked.

Quote Originally Posted by alphasigmookie View Post
    They learned well from Republicans for 8 years under Obama. What's good for the goose or something like that. Gridlock is the name of the game and will be pretty much indefinitely as long as the country remains so polarized.
    You have a lot to learn. Democraps are as much at fault...see link

Last edited by Make_My_Day; 01-22-2018 at 10:04 PM.
    Political correctness is a liberal degrading of the freedom of speech. George Orwell's 1984 famously incorporated the notion of limiting thought through language (see Newspeak)." Meanwhile, the beatings will continue until morale improves around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Make_My_Day View Post
    You have a lot to learn. Democraps are as much at fault...see link

Looks like the Democrats were in control of one or both chambers during most of them.
    Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass.Mark Twain - Notebook, 1898
    Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence in society. --Mark Twain

Once Chuckie boy caved, it looks like a BUNCH of dummycraps got tired of committing Schumer-cide and voted accordingly. He's getting flogged from both sides now. The next time he throws one of his childish tantrums, people are likely to say "Chuck who?"

Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite

I've been hiding in my fallout shelter since Friday. Is it truly all over? The Republic did not fall? Space aliens did not invade? I was running out of Spam and my toilet was filling up....thank God it's all over.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

Quote Originally Posted by tennmike View Post
    Looks like the Democrats were in control of one or both chambers during most of them.
    Heh heh, you noticed that too. I wonder who's learning from whom.
    Last edited by Make_My_Day; 01-23-2018 at 01:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Make_My_Day View Post
    Heh heh, you noticed that too. I wonder who's learning from whom.
    I remember a couple of them in the late '70s because I was in the National Guard, and one of them delayed our two week annual jamboree at Ft. Stewart, GA.
    Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass.Mark Twain - Notebook, 1898
    Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence in society. --Mark Twain

Let's take the wind out of the commiecraps' sails- - - -if they're so concerned about the DACA dummies getting deported, I've got the perfect solution. Every time ICE captures one, give him/her/it a one way Greyhound bus ticket - - - - -to California! Let's see how welcome a few million more parasite are then- - - - -and they're NOT being deported!
    Jerry

I think Brown would go for that one, his check from Mexico would get bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Teach View Post
    Let's take the wind out of the commiecraps' sails- - - -if they're so concerned about the DACA dummies getting deported, I've got the perfect solution. Every time ICE captures one, give him/her/it a one way Greyhound bus ticket - - - - -to California! Let's see how welcome a few million more parasite are then- - - - -and they're NOT being deported!
    Jerry
    A little while ago FOX was playing one of Schumers speeches about the DACA "children" being here out of there control as they were helpless babes brought here by their parents. They pointed out that the average age of these helpless babes is 26 years old now. I'm pretty sure a twenty six year old would know weather they were here legally and would be capable of going through the appropriate channels to become legal citizens. Since Schumer wants to keep these illegals here, he and Pelosi should split them between San Francisco and New York. Let's see if Schumer can get re-elected after he causes 400,000 illegal aliens to be dropped in New York.
    Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me

Quote Originally Posted by Jermanator View Post
    Immigration and border security are a big part of Trump's agenda and has been long overdue to be addressed. This move brings it front and center. Hopefully they don't do something too stupid, but what we currently have at the moment is severely stupid. Something less stupid would be a win, I guess.
    Immigration or infrastructure were always going to be next up, as a 'olive branch' gesture to Democrats, who have little interest in the economy, jobs, or the military. So, letting Schumer claim that he busted balls to get the issue up front and center is just a part of that, and was certainly expected.

The worst part of this whole deal for Schumer was not his capitulation on allowing the vote - it was the result of the vote, 81-19, which means that 30 Democrats voted to fund the government on Trump/McConnell terms. That encompasses the 25 Senate seats that are up for grabs, plus another five. Schumer has to be horrified to know that these people now know that the others exist. Heretofore, most of them likely believed that if they broke with the current party line, they would be pariahs in their own party. It just may be that ten or so of them might be in play the next time, or some other time, when 60 votes are needed.

It's too soon to tell, but this could very well be the first crack in the armor of a Democrat party that has been marching in lockstep for several years, behind one of their ancient leadership 'icons.' The 'Deep State' revelations that keep surfacing don't bode well for Democrats, either, should the Justice Department ever find the cojones needed to prosecute (or at least fire) some of their own. Combine all of that with Donna Brazile's revelations about Hilary buying out the Democrat party in the last election, and there may be a few folks going 'off the reservation' before another election. At some point, just blaming everything on Fox News and talk radio ain't goin' to cut it (I hope).

You guys don't see the half of it. The GS guys like Diver see a good portion of it, actually with his view of the TRANSCOM piece he sees a lot of the impact. It goes beyond me not being able to PCS or Travel. It means I loose all support. Period. Fuel runs out before the end of the shutdown, we don't fly, drive, or sail until the government can buy more. We go RED or BLACK on Ammo, then we don't get any until the AHA gets resupplied. Satellite Time needs to be renewed, well no C2 over the horizon. Fiber lease done for the qtr? No C5ISR. Food runs out? We go to MREs, and then we go to reduced MRE Rations, and so on. I die? My family gets NOTHING until the government comes back up...and even then they have to wait for the paperwork to get through the right hands. In the meantime, I sit in a Morgue with a toe tag until the government can move my body and my family can dispose of it as they see fit.
    And while I am tied to a base because I have to conserve fuel and ammo, that means the enemy is running free (well they do that here anyway) with complete freedom of movement to set the battlefield conditions to what they want them to be for when we are able to return.

A government Shut down is more than me just not getting a pay check while I am in a lost war of some Shothole country.
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."

Quote Originally Posted by centermass556 View Post
    I am in a lost war of some Shothole country.
    Some things never change- - - - - -our best young men and women have been sacrificed for no good reason since the politicians started running the military- - - - -beginning in the 1950's in Korea. Most of the lily-livered cowards never wore a uniform, but they can sure play political games with money! Screw 'em all!
    Jerry

Teach - Yes sir. I am completely bitter and jaded about what we are doing here in this country. I've lost good friends here for damn reason at all. We are killing them by the scores, but we are not winning. We will never win here unless we killed every last man, woman, and child. I never thought I would be this way, but we have to get out of this fight. The other fights around the world we could invest in, other fights where the people want better and just need the capital (resources more so than money) support we bring.
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."

Quote Originally Posted by centermass556 View Post
    Teach - Yes sir. I am completely bitter and jaded about what we are doing here in this country. I've lost good friends here for damn reason at all. We are killing them by the scores, but we are not winning. We will never win here unless we killed every last man, woman, and child. I never thought I would be this way, but we have to get out of this fight. The other fights around the world we could invest in, other fights where the people want better and just need the capital (resources more so than money) support we bring.
    Centermass i have a co worker that like you has spent a lot of time over there. We have talked and while I only have the first Gulf War to go by, he has said many times, the only way to win is kill everyone over the age of 10 and then, maybe things can be OK with the next generation. But even that can not be guaranteed.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

Centermass in post #80 and Jerry in post #81 nailed it. These shutdowns are deadly dangerous to our men and women in uniform and whichever party causes it are nothing more than grandstanding anus chapeaus that care NOT ONE DAMN about those people in uniform. If the filthy scum sucking politicians won't stand behind them and give them what they need to do the job with which they are tasked, then these politicians should be made to stand in front of them during any firefight to see firsthand what they are doing. If they survive, then they might be a little more ready to stop the stupidity.

As to what Diver 43 said his coworker told him, you'd have to go lower than 10 y.o. By the time they've reached 10 y.o. they are pretty much fully indoctrinated in the 'hate and kill the infidel'. Look at the Gaza Strip if you need an example.

What Centermass said about us needing to get out of this fight and put our resources elsewhere makes sense. Let them either claw their way into the 21st century on their own hook, or stay in the stone age with modern weapons and kill each other. And isolate them so they can't spread it outside their borders.

Follow up from post #22 earlier on this thread. Email from my congressman on 1/20/18...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kildee
    Unfortunately, early this morning, the U.S. federal government shut down because the Republican-led Congress failed to do its job and pass a budget. A government shutdown is reckless and has serious implications for our economy and military.
    My reply...

Quote Originally Posted by Jermanator
    I received your email today regarding the government shutdown. You said, "Unfortunately, early this morning, the U.S. federal government shut down because the Republican-led Congress failed to do its job and pass a budget. A government shutdown is reckless and has serious implications for our economy and military:"

The reason we have this shutdown is because Democrats are looking out for the Democrat agenda and Republicans are looking out for the Republican agenda. By placing the responsibility on, "the Republican-led Congress" you do nothing more than play partisan politics while doing nothing for the American people and our country.

Another example is your failure to work with Republicans on healthcare reform. On their own, they came up with a disastrous bill that failed. You toed the party line for Obamacare-- which is also a disaster. The American people lost. I am tired of party hubris interfering with your job-- which is supposed to be looking out for the interests of your constituents. While it may make you a wonderful Democrat, it makes for a lousy congressman. I urge you to do better.
    Update: Just got an email back from my congressman.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kildee
    Dear Mr. Jerm:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the 2018 federal government shutdown. I appreciate hearing from you on this very important issue.
    For months, I worked with my colleagues to pass a responsible budget that would fully fund the government. Hard working families deserve a long-term plan that provides certainty to our military and addresses the priorities of the American people. With so many unresolved and pressing issues, including our crumbling infrastructure, the opioid epidemic and our broken immigration system, Republicans and Democrats must sit down together and reach an agreement.
    Our country cannot keep running on short term patches, weeks at a time. Only with a true bipartisan agreement can we address these important issues. I remain ready to work across the aisle with anyone committed to a long-term budget and good faith negotiations to fund the government.
    In the future, please do not hesitate to contact me about any issue. It’s important for me to hear your views so that I can best represent you and the Fifth Congressional District.

I hope you stay in contact with me by visiting my congressional website at www.dankildee.house.gov and signing up for my email newsletter.
    Well, I got a reply. It doesn't really say much, but at least I know he heard me.

Your reply was truly priceless. I sent a message to my hat wearing representative and just like the other times, received no reply or even an acknowledgement. Mr. Rubio at least sends canned responses, but his office never follows up.
    makes for a lousy congressman, I love it!
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

I woke up pissed off that morning. Nothing like getting up on a crisp quiet Saturday morning to learn that our government is so stupid and dysfunctional that they can't even keep the damn lights on.

Quote Originally Posted by Jermanator View Post
    Follow up from post #22 earlier on this thread. Email from my congressman on 1/20/18...

My reply...

Update: Just got an email back from my congressman.

Well, I got a reply. It doesn't really say much, but at least I know he heard me.
    A machine or staffer heard you, hit the reply button, then control+V. Or, right click, paste.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post

I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men.

Quote Originally Posted by cpj View Post
    A machine or staffer heard you, hit the reply button, then control+V. Or, right click, paste.
    Most likely. Maybe I should show up and piss on his house next time.

Or write it in the snow in his front yard. I will need to drink quite a bit of tea to pull that one off.

Hearing pelosi and schumer on the news it looks like: HERE WE GO AGAIN