Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Full sporterized 1903?

Re: Full sporterized 1903?

Well, there are probably only a few hundred at most, if even a hundred properly chambered 400 Whelens in the entire world, I think that's pretty exotic!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.

Quote Originally Posted by timc View Post
    If you want them just pm you address and they are yours.
    Pm inbound
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.

This is one of the rifles from the restore project. I didn’t want to replace the barrel that had been chopped because the rifle is an absolute tack driver.
    Last edited by timc; 02-03-2018 at 04:02 AM.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by MileHighShooter View Post
    Well, there are probably only a few hundred at most, if even a hundred properly chambered 400 Whelens in the entire world, I think that's pretty exotic!
    I'm voting 400 Whelen because you have me intrigued.

Sako

Quote Originally Posted by BigDanS View Post
    You can buy a great rifle like a Ruger American cheap and ready in commen calibers. So, either restore it to military, or go exotic custom. There are plenty of awesome modern cheap thoroughly boring 30-06s.

D
    FIFY
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13

Due to the virtually nonexistent shoulder on a 400 Whelen, that "properly chambererd" thing becomes quite a chore. Watch the headspace very closely.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite

Quote Originally Posted by Teach View Post
    Due to the virtually nonexistent shoulder on a 400 Whelen, that "properly chambererd" thing becomes quite a chore. Watch the headspace very closely.
    Jerry
    The trick is getting the actual reamer with the proper specs as designed. Its now known as the "Petrov" reamer. Michael Petrov got a hold of an original G&H and dies and he did quite a write up about it. Problem is every garage gunsmith just straight necked up the 30-06 leaving its .441 shoulder and gentle shoulder angle without looking at actual reamer prints. The actual original design has a .458 shoulder and a very sharp shoulder. It was actually an "Ackley improved" before Ackley improved anything.
    Your neck to shoulder is .047 @ 40 vs .03 @ 17

If the proper reamer and dies are used, you should be golden. The guy building my 275 has the correct reamer, and CH4D has the correct dies.

If it gets built and I can make it out, this gun will roll to the shoot! I'm sure I'll be able to put together some kitty cat pistol bullet/cast loads, some buffalo 350gr loads and a few pachyderm 400gr loads. Hitting 2100 and change puts it right there with the 450/400 NE and original 404 Jeffery loads
    Last edited by MileHighShooter; 02-03-2018 at 07:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sakodude View Post

Sako
    I talked with the smith doing my 275. I showed him pics of the gun and he's all for it. He wanted to make sure I wasn't butchering an unaltered Mk1 or something. He is going to be spinning his next batch of barrels in a month or so. Just have to choose if the Husky 98 will get its 9.3 before or after the 400. Need dies for the 400, but I've already got 40 quality-cartridge 400 Whelen stamped basic brass. And I've got a few hundred .41 mag pistol bullets. Just need to pick up some heavier bullets. Surprisingly good selection of .410 and .411 hunting bullets from 300 to 400. Hornady, Woodleigh, Barned, North Fork, Hawk, Swift A Frame, plus lots of cast lead options

Those Bishop stocks are real nice, very tempting, too. If found a coupe on eBay....but I think I'm going to hold out for a Griffin & Howe replica. Maybe a Sedgley or a Stuart Edward White style. SEW was the 2nd man ever to have a sporterized 03, after Teddy Roosevelt.
    Bishop made some good solid stocks for us poor boys. The real deal was Reinhardt Fajen. They were both out of Warsaw Missouri.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Sako
    You're quite mad, you know.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

Quote Originally Posted by Gene L View Post
    You're quite mad, you know.
    Gene, I've been called worse......and your probably not wrong! I've got a project Mauser that I thought was all sorted out and ready to proceed but I talk to MHS and read up on some of the things he's doing and I start to think it and I'm back in limbo

Sako

Ya gotta love this forum, for instance, the original quote,

I'm thinking either leave it untapped and put a new barrel in it, or D&T + new barrel. I'm just likely to keep it in the safe if I don't change anything.... and an unused rifle just seems.... sad. I have ZERO interest in original configuration military rifles, btw.
    Comment, -- build a nice sporter
    Me -- good idea

Comment -- 200 gr. cast bullet
    Me --nah

Comment -- reciever is hard as woodpecker lips
    Me --been there done that

Comment -- 400 gr. is mo better
    me -- maybe

Comment 338-06 ??
    me -- there's an idea

Comment -- really want a 35 or 400 Whelen
    me -- the 35

comment -- I'm voting 400
    me -- ok thats athought, think I'll build both

Comment --your quite mad ya know
    me -- aren't we all

I'm so glad I'm 80 and no longer have a lathe and mill otherwise i'd run out and get some reamers.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT

Jay if you still had a lathe I'd be bugging you for work! Or at least some stock shaping

Gene, I've been called worse......and your probably not wrong! I've got a project Mauser that I thought was all sorted out and ready to proceed but I talk to MHS and read up on some of the things he's doing and I start to think it and I'm back in limbo

Sako
    Talking to me has led several members here to separate cash from wallet. Sako you're an extra special case since you really started me reloading. I figure its even payback haha

Quote Originally Posted by jaywapti View Post
    Ya gotta love this forum, for instance, the original quote,

Comment, -- build a nice sporter
    Me -- good idea

Comment -- 200 gr. cast bullet
    Me --nah

Comment -- reciever is hard as woodpecker lips
    Me --been there done that

Comment -- 400 gr. is mo better
    me -- maybe

Comment 338-06 ??
    me -- there's an idea

Comment -- really want a 35 or 400 Whelen
    me -- the 35

comment -- I'm voting 400
    me -- ok thats athought, think I'll build both

Comment --your quite mad ya know
    me -- aren't we all

I'm so glad I'm 80 and no longer have a lathe and mill otherwise i'd run out and get some reamers.

JAY
    I would be making way too many runs up the coast
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

.40 caliber bullets off of an '06 case? Intriguing. Gas checked greasers, I presume? Velocity - I assume we're basically dealing with a .45-70 here?
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    .40 caliber bullets off of an '06 case? Intriguing. Gas checked greasers, I presume? Velocity - I assume we're basically dealing with a .45-70 here?
    .41 but yea, pretty sedate. Should be able to get 400 jacketed to 2150 give or take. Tray replicates the 450/400 NE which has killed many elephants and is still highly recommended due to the gentle recoil. Gentle being relative to other DG rounds.

350's should do around 2300, 300's near 2500, but not many are made for that speed. You can use 41 mag bullets as well, which I also own, for cheap plinking.

The key, again, is the proper reamer and dies and mindful loading. Otherwise yes there can be serious head space issues. Quality Cartridge sells straight wall basic brass at an ok price. A few guys I talked with have also expanded other brass, but they all anealed it.

Seems like a fast twist .35 Whelan might be a more efficient system, if somewhat less novel. Should be adequate room for longish heavies.

Of course, there would be some humor/irony in 9.3x62, given the Mauser lawsuit history of the M1903. . .

I just cast up a bunch of hard 212-ish grain RNGC's for my .30-06 Enfield sporter. The last experiment (interrupted by deer season) had them going almost 2500 and grouping around MOA. Still got to finish the .375 H&H being built on Jaywapti's old P14. Yeah. . .I feel your disease.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee

35 and 400 Whelen, on 1903's

9.3x62 and someday 10.75x68mm, on 98's

Big bore bullets in .30-06 brass sort of suffer from a lack of powder capacity. Long barrels and slow-burning powder helps a little. I've built up a couple, a .338--06 and an 8MM-06, but nothing in the .375-.400 range yet. I'm thinking seriously about doing a .35 Whelen on a 1917 action one of these days but it's not a priority since I'd have to buy or rent a reamer to do that. The P-14 and 1917 also has a square barrel thread, so machining it is quite a challenge.
    Jerry

Yea, they definitely aren't screamers. But big bullets at moderate speeds are great killers! A P17 would make an awesome 35 Jerry! I've been tempted a few times on them, would be kinda cool to have another battle rifle sporter to go along with the 98s and 03s. If they components weren't so dang scarce a 350 Rigby would be neat. I had long thought about using a P17 for the 404 before I lucked into the magnum mauser.

It's probably already been done ("nothing new under the sun") but what about a .338 Win Mag necked up to .375? It's got a .30-06 length case with a belted mag head, and it has considerably more powder capacity than the -06. A P-14 boltface is right for a belted case, and the action is plenty strong for that kind of pressure. I have a .300 H&H conversion already, and a sporterized .30-06 with a 1917 receiver. I've got a couple of stripped P-14 type receivers, and a few bolts, so it would just require a barrel blank and a reamer to complete the project. A universal belted mag headspace gauge works for all of the standard-head magnum cartridges.
    Jerry

That would be the 375 Chatfield -Taylor. Great round, there were rumors of the 375 and 416 being made into factory options in the 80s before the 416 Rem came out. Of course the 375 and 416 Ruger have pretty much eliminated any use the Taylor has. Dies and brass are available on midway

So, basically, you need to make Steve's rifle, your rifle. Fundamentally, the only thing separating the two is cartridge, right? Rebore that barrel to 35, or have it duplicated in .410. Make it the Whelen you desire, but leave it Steve's rifle.
    Quote Originally Posted by breamfisher View Post
    It might not be more accurate, but why introduce accuracy to a discussion about inaccuracy?

Yea pretty much. Steve was never all THAT sentimental with guns. I mean he did sell our grandfather's/dads/our 1903 in tbe first place....

He wanted to keep this one open sight, but obviously sporterized it a little bit. So his will stay with the peep, and will get the 400 Whelen bbl. Just waiting for the smith to finish my 7x57, then he'll be getting the peep 03. It'll be fun having an open sight DG worthy rifle. All my others have scopes

Talking to me has led several members here to separate cash from wallet. Sako you're an extra special case since you really started me reloading. I figure its even payback haha
    Truer words were never spoken, I'm a victim of his amazing enabling skills.

But I have to admit, so far I have loved the results...
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Yea pretty much. Steve was never all THAT sentimental with guns. I mean he did sell our grandfather's/dads/our 1903 in tbe first place....

He wanted to keep this one open sight, but obviously sporterized it a little bit. So his will stay with the peep, and will get the 400 Whelen bbl. Just waiting for the smith to finish my 7x57, then he'll be getting the peep 03. It'll be fun having an open sight DG worthy rifle. All my others have scopes
    Hey my smith is done with my 7x57, except he's waiting on a bluing session. He does several guns at once and he's waiting on a couple more to blue before he does it. Now I need to start a new thread on stocks.

Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    Truer words were never spoken, I'm a victim of his amazing enabling skills.

But I have to admit, so far I have loved the results...
    Pfft, His inableing skills are weak....
    IMG_0789.jpg

Oh wait

Sako