Thread: A ‘Well Regulated Militia’ the Basis of Private Gun Ownership by AWR Hawkins

A ‘Well Regulated Militia’ the Basis of Private Gun Ownership by AWR Hawkins

I came across a excellent and brief treatise on the 2 nd. amendment,that explains it as well as I've seen or read in many years.
    AWR Hawkins work, entitled A Well Regulated Militia, The Basis For Private Gun Ownership, is brilliant. So much so in my estimation, that it will go down as one of the definitive works of his writing career. In it, he expertly tied together the writings of James Madison from Federalist 46 with part of the Heller v. DC decision written so eloquently by late Justice Antonin Scalia, then summed it up with his final analysis. In so doing, he put a dagger through the heart of the “argument” made by many gun-grabbers and leftist scholars that would suggest the Second Amendment is a “collective” right reserved for service in a militia.
    Perhaps if the Left can put aside the orthodoxy of their religion,long enough to read and understand plain english.
    Oh what am I thinking if that were the case they would be no gun control laws or CCW permits as Shall Not Be Infringed would be understood . GMB

A ‘Well Regulated Militia’ the Basis of Private Gun Ownership by AWR Hawkins

When the Second Amendment was ratified in 1791 the phrase, “well regulated militia,” underlined the importance of the words, “shall not be infringed.”
    Yet today, due to the breakdown in education wrought by leftist academicians and media talking heads, many Americans presume a “well regulated militia” and “shall not be infringed” are polar opposites; that the former represents a collective right viewpoint while the latter presents the right as an individual one. Such presumptions create a false dichotomy that pits one phrase against another in an amendment where both phrases were meant to be of mutual benefit.

http://www.breitbart.com/2nd-amendme...gun-ownership/

Re: A ‘Well Regulated Militia’ the Basis of Private Gun Ownership by AWR Hawkins

Just started reading it and it looks pretty good. Will finish it tomorrow. Thanks for sharing.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton