Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spirit Airlines told student to flush emotional support hamster down the toilet

Spirit Airlines told student to flush emotional support hamster down the toilet

Spirit Airlines employee told student to flush emotional support hamster down the toilet, student alleges

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2018/0...t-alleges.html

I wouldn't want to be sittin next to anyone with a more or less pet rat/rodent. The other day someone tried to bring a pet peacock on a flight.

What's with all this jazz these folks need critters to make it through life anyway? Not like she has PTSD/missing limbs from war or anything besides wanting something to cuddle. They still make stuffed animals don't they?

We have all flushed a few Goldfish down the crapper over the years ourselves or as parents. Some even had to shoot a family pet like a cat or dog.......just the way it was.

Maybe thses kids need to stay home and be with their parents longer before venturing out and traveling on their own, especially if they have emotional issues.

I can understand seeing eye dogs and certified medical cases where they are allowed to bring certain animals most wherever they go, but hey many are taking advantage and actually imposing on everyone else s health and well being.
    Last edited by Big Chief; 02-08-2018 at 10:31 PM.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Re: Spirit Airlines told student to flush emotional support hamster down the toilet

A letter from a psychiatrist certifying a person has emotional/mental issues requiring they have any animal along with them where they usually aren't allowed should be required. Not just someone claiming it gives them emotional support. Same for medical issues from a Sawbones. Then I'm fine with it.

Public safety and well being should come first, though.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions

Re: Spirit Airlines told student to flush emotional support hamster down the toilet

Quote Originally Posted by Big Chief View Post
    A letter from a psychiatrist certifying a person has emotional/mental issues requiring they have any animal along with them where they usually aren't allowed should be required. Not just someone claiming it gives them emotional support. Same for medical issues from a Sawbones. Then I'm fine with it.

Public safety and well being should come first, though.
    Can I take my emotional support handgun with me on the plane?
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

I think maybe the whole support animal thing has gone to far. But, don't judge till you've walked a mile blah blah blah.
    That said, SHE had the choice, SHE made the decision, and the airline did NOT force her to do this. Period. She had options. Like not flushing the critter. Duh.
    Just a tip from your uncle chris, stay away from this one. She's bat scat CRAZY.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post

I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men.

Just more proof to never, ever fly spirit airlines for any reason. If the choice is between flying spirit and hiking, strap on your boots.

That said this one sounds like a real winner. Unfortunately our social media world tends to reward poeple like this dingbat and that's very sad indeed.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho

Quote Originally Posted by Big Chief View Post
    Spirit Airlines employee told student to flush emotional support hamster down the toilet, student alleges

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2018/0...t-alleges.html

I wouldn't want to be sittin next to anyone with a more or less pet rat/rodent. The other day someone tried to bring a pet peacock on a flight.

What's with all this jazz these folks need critters to make it through life anyway? Not like she has PTSD/missing limbs from war or anything besides wanting something to cuddle. They still make stuffed animals don't they?

We have all flushed a few Goldfish down the crapper over the years ourselves or as parents. Some even had to shoot a family pet like a cat or dog.......just the way it was.

Maybe thses kids need to stay home and be with their parents longer before venturing out and traveling on their own, especially if they have emotional issues.

I can understand seeing eye dogs and certified medical cases where they are allowed to bring certain animals most wherever they go, but hey many are taking advantage and actually imposing on everyone else s health and well being.
    And, it's really hard to flush a German Shepherd.....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

I guess this means I cant take my pet snake.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT

I wonder if she bought a cage or something and paid extra........I guess not unless she had a Vet give it a health certificate.

I do feel a little bit sorry for the kid (and she is just a kid) for thinking it was OK and then being told something else once she got there to get on her flight. Then her options were flush it or turn it loose......that may have caused some real emotional trauma.

"Aldecosea skipped her flight and tried to rent a car instead, but said she was too young to rent one. So she did what she felt was the most humane choice.

“She was scared. I was scared. It was horrifying trying to put her in the toilet,” Aldecosea said. “I was emotional. I was crying. I sat there for a good 10 minutes crying in the stall.”
    The student said she considered letting Pebbles run free outside but could not bear thinking of her hamster freezing to death or getting hit.
    “I didn’t have any other options,” she said."

So I understand it to be she got the hamster up in Baltimore or did she take it up there.

Heck, the airport has a food court right............just don't release it near the Oriental stands Would have given it a fighting chance, anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by alphasigmookie View Post
    Just more proof to never, ever fly spirit airlines for any reason. If the choice is between flying spirit and hiking, strap on your boots.

That said this one sounds like a real winner. Unfortunately our social media world tends to reward poeple like this dingbat and that's very sad indeed.
    I flew Spirit... ONCE... It was my wife’s idea, and by the time I got to my seat I was basically homicidal...
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

Shoulda just had the hamster drive them there in the Kia Soul.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.

She could have strolled down to the arrival area and offered a free hamster to someone willing to take it.
    Political correctness is a liberal degrading of the freedom of speech. George Orwell's 1984 famously incorporated the notion of limiting thought through language (see Newspeak)." Meanwhile, the beatings will continue until morale improves around here.

I’m going to the doctor and getting my “emotional support 1911”
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post
    I flew Spirit... ONCE... It was my wife’s idea, and by the time I got to my seat I was basically homicidal...
    Yep, my first and only time involved standing in line for two hours to hand them my bag (it's cheaper to check than carry on a bag, but you have to see an agent to give them your bag). Missing the flight the bag was supposed to go on, standing in line for two hours to rebook with everyone who missed every flight that evening, and then paying an extra $100+ out of pocket for Uber and hotel for the night. Valuing my time the way my employer does I could have probably bought a first class ticket on another airline for the amount of time/money my cheap ticket cost me. There was a very nice English Gentleman ahead of me in line to rebook about to go homicidal on the agent who basically ran away crying, and as you well know it's really hard to get an English Gentleman that riled up outside of a football match.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho

I think being forced to flush your emotional support hampster is the best therapy there is. Most definitely will make her stronger!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by timc View Post
    I think being forced to flush your emotional support hampster is the best therapy there is. Most definitely will make her stronger!
    Or homicidal.

What ever happened to the all-purpose brown paper bag emotional people can hyper-ventilate into? Hey, if I claim the wife as an emotional support critter, does she ride for free?

As a retired airline employee That flew, and worked in maintenance and engineering for 40+ years, I give you my thoughts to do what you will with them,

I would never fly on any airline that doesnt do its own maintenance or contracts it out to the lowest bidder.

I prefer to fly on American made aircraft, when flying I always check the type of aircraft used, and if possible will re schedule to fly on Boeing, Douglas, etc.

Since i worked on the first airbus's, I have never liked them, we in the industry called then"scarebus"

There's an old saying among airline people " if it aint Boeing, I aint going"

JAY

I got a scary one for you, anyone that flew on the L1011. I was one of the people putting the plane together. Riveted the stainless steel strap holding the two halves together at the top (butt line 0).

Scotch is for airplane anxiety, not hamsters.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11

First Spirit is a complete crapshow airline. By the time you are done with all their extra fees and inconveniences on your time you could have paid for a ticket on a REAL airline. They screwed up my seating (which I paid extra for) and then they tried to charge me to speak to an agent at the counter so he could fix it. You KNOW that did not happen!!! The BS attitude and arrogance of their customer facing employees is astounding considering they run the Yugo of airlines... Actually that is an insult to Yugo’s...

Now about this girl. I’m SURE all she tried to do was fly with her hamster from home to school. Tons of folks travel with their dogs in the cabin so why not a damn hamster? I’m sure the emotional support tag came from the lawyer that is suing the airline for their stupidity and will make her a buttload of money... I hope he freaking bankrupts them.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

Aren't situations like this the reason they make BIG purses with lots of compartments (or baggy pants with deep zipper pockets) for women who want to travel with glorified rats, miniature dogs, kittens, lizards, etc.? It's a good example of exactly what "concealed carry" really means! The stupid twit couldn't just waltz through a security check with something that wouldn't set off any alarms?
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite

Quote Originally Posted by rberglof View Post
    I got a scary one for you, anyone that flew on the L1011. I was one of the people putting the plane together. Riveted the stainless steel strap holding the two halves together at the top (butt line 0).
    That is one airplane I never worked on, none of the airlines i worked had L1011, I had friends at EAL that said it was a damn good bird, some had reservations about the RB-211.

Wambli post says it all about any "cut rate airline"

JAY

I'd rather take a MAC flight any day to the commercial flights. You KNOW what it's going to be like. The 'flight attendants' are all ugly and rude. You can bring your own bottle, and it's too danged noisy to carry on a conversation!
    Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass.Mark Twain - Notebook, 1898
    Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence in society. --Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by tennmike View Post
    I'd rather take a MAC flight any day to the commercial flights. You KNOW what it's going to be like. The 'flight attendants' are all ugly and rude. You can bring your own bottle, and it's too danged noisy to carry on a conversation!
    You realize there are very few rotaters anymore?
    Most fly on US Flag airlines these days. The few channels that are left are nice chartered aircraft.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

Quote Originally Posted by jaywapti View Post
    I guess this means I cant take my pet snake.

JAY
    I know you can bring those on the plane, I’ve seen The movie!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by Diver43 View Post
    You realize there are very few rotaters anymore?
    Most fly on US Flag airlines these days. The few channels that are left are nice chartered aircraft.
    I haven't flown MAC since 1976. But I'd do it again in a heartbeat if given the chance.
    Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass.Mark Twain - Notebook, 1898
    Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence in society. --Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by tennmike View Post
    I feel waaaay safer on a military plane than any civilian aircraft. I used to fix planes for a living too.
    Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me

Back in the day I went PCS to Morocco, got a MAC flight out of Charleston AFB on a C-121 ( super connie) lost #3 halfway to Hamilton Bermuda, change of planes, made Lages Azores OK lost # 1 just before landing in Morocco

JAY

Don't give up on all airlines, there is one that still treats their customers with respect. Southwest Airlines. That is the reason they are the largest domestic airline and the fastest growing airline. And for those that do not like to fly on a Scarebus...their entire fleet is made up of Boeing 737's. They have the world's largest fleet of 737's (over 700 at last count) and that is the only aircraft they fly. That is the only airline I will fly unless I have to go somewhere that they do not.

Quote Originally Posted by 10canyon53 View Post
    Don't give up on all airlines, there is one that still treats their customers with respect. Southwest Airlines. That is the reason they are the largest domestic airline and the fastest growing airline. And for those that do not like to fly on a Scarebus...their entire fleet is made up of Boeing 737's. They have the world's largest fleet of 737's (over 700 at last count) and that is the only aircraft they fly. That is the only airline I will fly unless I have to go somewhere that they do not.
    Yes Since i retired if I have to fly I always try to go SWA.

JAY