Thread: Looking for a Stock for my Commercial Mauser Build

Looking for a Stock for my Commercial Mauser Build

My smith is almost finished with my Commercial Charles Daly Zastava Mauser chambered in 7x57. I thought about just buying an unfinished Boyd's Classic stock as I have for two other rifles. But I'm not real crazy about its contour. They're fat on the forend. I know of one member here who is a gun smith that took a Boyd's and sanded it down and reshaped it much thinner than it came from Boyd's, and I may end up attempting that yet. But if I can find something closer to what I'm looking for for less money, why not?

What I am thinking is looking on Gun Broker or somewhere and try to find a good used Mauser friendly walnut stock. Anybody know a better place to look. I don't want to spend $200.00 on an old or unfinished stock. I'm looking for something functional that I can work with, strip down, refinish to make it look decent for under $100.00. I can make it fit and I can bed it and refinish it. I just need something reasonably priced to work with.
    Anybody have anything to share about this, let me hear it, please.
    Last edited by snake284; 02-09-2018 at 08:25 AM.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Re: Looking for a Stock for my Commercial Mauser Build

I'm looking for something functional that I can work with, strip down, refinish to make it look decent for under $100.00

That seems to be a pretty tall order and something you may regret................take a little longer finishing the project and do it right. IMHO

Me..........I'd just have this shipped to Big Al.....pick up at SE shoot and be done with it......easy peasy.

He's done practicing on the JW 15

https://www.ebay.com/itm/bishop-faje...kAAOSwZoZabKDK
    Last edited by Weatherby; 02-09-2018 at 11:02 AM.

EBay, there are tons
    Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.

Also...

Hoosier Gunworks

Walnut Grove Stocks (these are going to run a bit more but they're fantastic. You might be able to get a blemish or 2nd of higher quality for a good price)

Richards Microfit, ONLY if its on the "sale" page, otherwise you'll wait months. Old World 102 is what you'd want

Gunville.com not a great page but they offer the G&H style stock for 145

Brownells has a decent 98 atock as well, luck of the draw on figure, but I've got one that came with my first 98. Its fairly trim. Might be interested in moving that, I can post pics if you want to see
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.

Yup! E bay has lots of stocks. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rifle-stock...UAAOSwbPNaeOO7

I work for beer!!

Its not super fancy wood, needs a strip/sand/refinish, and the "inletting" is a bit rough, but if you want it Snake, its yours. Timc just sent me 2 stocks, so I'll pay it forward.

Here is a better full shot. The barrel channel is very narrow, so you'll have enough meat to open it up, I believe your F34 bbl is thicker than this rifles bbl

Quote Originally Posted by MileHighShooter View Post
    Also...

Hoosier Gunworks

Walnut Grove Stocks (these are going to run a bit more but they're fantastic. You might be able to get a blemish or 2nd of higher quality for a good price)

Richards Microfit, ONLY if its on the "sale" page, otherwise you'll wait months. Old World 102 is what you'd want

Gunville.com not a great page but they offer the G&H style stock for 145

Brownells has a decent 98 stock as well, luck of the draw on figure, but I've got one that came with my first 98. Its fairly trim. Might be interested in moving that, I can post pics if you want to see
    Yes send pics, that's what I would love.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Look up

I see said the blind man...

Quote Originally Posted by MileHighShooter View Post
    Its not super fancy wood, needs a strip/sand/refinish, and the "inletting" is a bit rough, but if you want it Snake, its yours. Timc just sent me 2 stocks, so I'll pay it forward.
    Yeah that's what I'm looking for. I like it.

And yes, my barrel looks thicker, but that's what they make dowels and sand paper for. Good deal. Do it.
    Last edited by snake284; 02-10-2018 at 06:49 AM.

I'll get it packed up and shipped out this coming week. Think I still have your address in my PM's from the barrel