Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Digital driverís license - your ID in your smartphone

Re: Digital driverís license - your ID in your smartphone

Quote Originally Posted by zorba View Post
    Texting is great for super short messages as several here have illustrated. I'm fine with that, and use 'em myself (and don't need no stiiiiiinkin' smart fone to do it with either). But a long involved conversation? Send me an email!
    I dictate most of my emails and texts on my phone. Voice recognition rocks.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post
    Negative Ghost Rider (movie reference ). For the last two months I have been working exclusively out of my new 256Gb iPad Pro 10.5" with a removable Logi keyboard (connected via magnetic port and it's truly connected, not a wireless keyboard, and it's not a battery draining device) that weighs less a whole 2 lbs.
    The pattern is full... Like I've been saying, any tablet is better than any fone - its larger. I can see the screen - albeit still too small but larger than a fone, plus I don't have to talk on it. BTW, the surface keyboard isn't wireless either, but that's neither here nor there. Its about time Apple got onto the bandwagon of having a REAL keyboard available - but does it run OS X or IOS? I'll take Windows over IOS or Android - not because I like Windows (I don't), but it at least lets you run real software, not crippled spyware/adware "Apps". Of course, Microsoft is following Apple's lead into the "devicification" of "regular computers" - I'm having to increasingly put up with de-contented software, poorer graphics, and lower contrast in software from ALL camps. The Apple iPhoto/Photos fiasco is but one example, there are plenty more...

I'm with you about wireless peripherals, yet another stupid idea in search of a problem. 99% of all the trouble calls I'd get involving wireless keyboards/mice had to do with dead batteries. Completely dumb in a desktop environment - but people love fads. There might be some call for them with a laptop or tablet, but even there - like you - I'd rather be plugged into the main system.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"
    "Religion can't be allowed the coercive power of government,
    government can't be allowed the 'moral' justification of religion."

Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post
    I dictate most of my emails and texts on my phone. Voice recognition rocks.
    It does when it works - I'm still waiting for the AI backend to make it truly useful. But we're getting there. I've been playing with voice recognition since the very late 1970s, fascinating stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by zorba View Post
    It does when it works - I'm still waiting for the AI backend to make it truly useful. But we're getting there. I've been playing with voice recognition since the very late 1970s, fascinating stuff.
    A heavy Southern accent makes that voice recognition software so confused it doesn't know whether it's washin' or hangin' out!
    Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass.Mark Twain - Notebook, 1898
    Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence in society. --Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by tennmike View Post
    A heavy Southern accent makes that voice recognition software so confused it doesn't know whether it's washin' or hangin' out!
    Yea, its not "quite there" as yet, but can be "good enough" under the right circumstances. I've found that getting pissed at the AI when you're on the fone with "whatever" customer service results in more errors!

Quote Originally Posted by Jermanator View Post
    Not really. If my wife is at the grocery store and I suddenly realize that we need eggs, with a quick glance at her phone, it just saved us another trip to the store that day. A text to my son telling him I will pick him up from school at such and such entrance at such and such time saves the effort from calling the school office, and giving them the message where they would run the note to his classroom and does not interfere with his class time because he can check my text message on break. I can text my sister a photo of the kids riding snowmobiles (like me and her did as kids) and it says a whole lot more than a phone call ever will. Like with work, I texted her the location of our deer camp and it was much more concise and accurate than my verbal directions ever would be. There are lots of personal ways to use that tool. It isn't limited to business.

And while I am working it is sometimes awkward for my wife to call me to ask when I will be home for dinner. While I love her very much and like to talk to her, texting back the number 6 after my meeting serves the purpose very well and allows me to keep working.
    And the examples you gave are a far cry from someone shopping at Wallyworld while surfing the net or texting their friend about what somebody said to somebody else, and all the while running sllllooooowwwwlllllyyy down the center of the aisle blocking EVERYBODY! Are you telling me you've not noticed the mindless masses walking around with their faces bathed in the blue glow of their smartphones surfing the web, doing Facebook, texting their friend two people over, or some other mindless use all the while not having a clue where they're at or where they're going? If you are, then I don't believe you!
    Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass.Mark Twain - Notebook, 1898
    Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence in society. --Mark Twain

And the examples you gave are a far cry from someone shopping at Wallyworld while surfing the net or texting their friend about what somebody said to somebody else, and all the while running sllllooooowwwwlllllyyy down the center of the aisle blocking EVERYBODY! Are you telling me you've not noticed the mindless masses walking around with their faces bathed in the blue glow of their smartphones surfing the web, doing Facebook, texting their friend two people over, or some other mindless use all the while not having a clue where they're at or where they're going? If you are, then I don't believe you!
    Idiots and rude people have been around since the first humans. Smart phones didn't create them.

I find Yankee speak also a problem for voice recognition and a faked slightly southern accent is best.
    I turned in the key to the can of worms
    They just issued me a new key

Idiots and rude people have been around since the first humans. Smart phones didn't create them.
    Nope they didn't....they just made them more visible...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawker View Post
    Nope they didn't....they just made them more visible...
    Bonus! It makes them easier to avoid.

And there ya go!

The wife calls them cell phone zombies. They bump in people and stationary things, mumble and shuffle on, never looking up from their phone.

I like tech, but dont want my license on my phone
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

Quote Originally Posted by Diver43 View Post
    I like tech, but dont want my license on my phone
    Ditto.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."
    - More Maxims of Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by orchidman View Post
    Going back to the original topic of having your D/L in your phone............

I wonder how many unjustified shootings will take place when a guy reaches for his pocket to get his cellphone out and 'presents' it to an LEO........??

( Surprised it took 3 pages for this scenario to be posted up)
    Pretty much the first scenario I thought of But I am slogging through all the comments before I add anything.

Quote Originally Posted by breamfisher View Post
    That all goes to a lack of teaching folks how to be polite and think of others. Problems ain't the machine... it's the operator.

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk
    I agree. I don't have call waiting on my home phone. I would never use it because I consider it rude. If I call someone and they get another call they usually say "hold on a second". I'm fairly patient. I'll give them 30 of those then hang-up. If they called me I just hang-up.

Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

iPhone... yep!

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk
    Overkill is underrated.

Oh MAN!!! Where can I buy one of those?!?!?!?

"Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton