Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Remington Outdoor Group Files Bankruptcy Protection

Re: Remington Outdoor Group Files Bankruptcy Protection

Quote Originally Posted by bullsi1911 View Post
    Hopefully they will sell H&R/ NEF to someone that will start making the Handi-Rifles AND SHOTGUNS again.
    FIFY I NEED a couple or three shotguns in 20 and 12 gauge for donor actions for rifle cartridges they never have offered in the Handi-Rifles.
    Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass.Mark Twain - Notebook, 1898
    Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence in society. --Mark Twain

Hopefully they will sell H&R/ NEF to someone that will start making the Handi-Rifles again.
    MEH.
    once they became the same pride as a bolt action, they lost their simple appeal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post

I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men.

Quote Originally Posted by tennmike View Post
    FIFY I NEED a couple or three shotguns in 20 and 12 gauge for donor actions for rifle cartridges they never have offered in the Handi-Rifles.
    If they would make a nice slim frame handy rifle in handgun cartridges for about $250 they’d sell millions of them...
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post
    If they would make a nice slim frame handy rifle in handgun cartridges for about $250 they’d sell millions of them...
    Say a .460 or .500 S&W.

Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post
    Yes, they would! And the craze for the 10mm would probably justify that chambering. They need to do something with NEF that no gunmaker has done in over half a century. And the internet would make it easy, fast, and simple. Take an online poll for about 3-4 months with a large list of chamberings and let people vote for their choices. Chamberings with most votes get made. Those with not enough votes to make the cut get made on a special order only basis. That would give the people wanting one what they want and NEF wouldn't be making stuff NOBODY wants.
    Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass.Mark Twain - Notebook, 1898
    Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence in society. --Mark Twain

Yes, they would! And the craze for the 10mm would probably justify that chambering. They need to do something with NEF that no gunmaker has done in over half a century. And the internet would make it easy, fast, and simple. Take an online poll for about 3-4 months with a large list of chamberings and let people vote for their choices. Chamberings with most votes get made. Those with not enough votes to make the cut get made on a special order only basis. That would give the people wanting one what they want and NEF wouldn't be making stuff NOBODY wants.
    Heck yes, I’d buy one in 10mm
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

The last H&R I bought was in 22.250. The scope I put on it cost way more than the rifle. I love it. Groups good and fun to shoot.
    We as a country have a blown engine, a transmission that slips in every forward gear, and a rear diff with a loud whine. And our politicians keep trying to spray armorall on the tires and proudly step back as if they are helping fix the car.

The one in .357 mag is one of my favorites, always get looks and "whats that?" at the range
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

Wondered what brands are under Remington flag. Went to their website and found this; More than I knew about;
    We are the world's leading innovator, designer, manufacturer and marketer of firearms, ammunition and related products for the hunting, shooting sports, law enforcement and military markets. As one of the largest manufacturers in the world of firearms and ammunition, we have some of the most globally recognized brands including Remington, Bushmaster Firearms, DPMS/Panther Arms, Marlin, H&R, The Parker Gun, Tapco, Advanced Armament Corp., Dakota Arms, Nesika, Stormlake, Timbersmith and Barnes Bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by ltcnav View Post
    <snip>... and Barnes Bullets.
    That explains the Barnes head stamped brass in a Remington box of 300BO ammo I recently purchased.

With the amount of sales ALL through the gun industry in the last 10 years, it would seem a company would have to seriously work HARD to NOT be making money hand over fist.

Everything I've read talked about companies having record firearm and ammunition sales, and "Big Green" does both, yet are filing for bankruptcy.
    Time for a MANAGEMENT CHANGE!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Seven habits of highly effective pirates
    Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Quote Originally Posted by knitepoet View Post
    With the amount of sales ALL through the gun industry in the last 10 years, it would seem a company would have to seriously work HARD to NOT be making money hand over fist.
    That is not hard to figure out. They are owned by a management company. A management company does not care about the long term viability of the companies they acquire. Think of them like spiders: they suck all the juice out and discard the carcass. All of the profits have been funneled out to the parent company. Now that we have a Pro 2A President and the scare is over (for now) they have decided it is time to discard the carcass before sales fall. Funneling the profits to the parent company allows them to file bankruptcy on and unload the holdings while keeping the profits. We can only hope the carcass will be bought by someone who cares about the long term viability of the business, not just a smaller spider looking for any leftover juice.

Quote Originally Posted by knitepoet View Post
    That explains the Barnes head stamped brass in a Remington box of 300BO ammo I recently purchased.

Everything I've read talked about companies having record firearm and ammunition sales, and "Big Green" does both, yet are filing for bankruptcy.
    Time for a MANAGEMENT CHANGE!!!!
    Management certainly deserves some of the blame; however, the nearly $1 billion in debt forced on them by Cerebus was crippling. Assuming the debt had an interest rate of 5-10%, they had to come up with $50-100M in cash every year just to pay lenders.

Hopefully, the new owners let them make moves that will rebuild the business. I am rooting for them.

Quote Originally Posted by ltcnav View Post
    Wondered what brands are under Remington flag. Went to their website and found this; More than I knew about;
    We are the world's leading innovator, designer, manufacturer and marketer of firearms, ammunition and related products for the hunting, shooting sports, law enforcement and military markets. As one of the largest manufacturers in the world of firearms and ammunition, we have some of the most globally recognized brands including Remington, Bushmaster Firearms, DPMS/Panther Arms, Marlin, H&R, The Parker Gun, Tapco, Advanced Armament Corp., Dakota Arms, Nesika, Stormlake, Timbersmith and Barnes Bullets.
    Damn. They should have made an integral suppressed Handi-Rifle.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

Hey, why won't the Govt bail them out? They did it for the automotive industry. Put some guidelines in place and keep a traditional American company going.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Chief View Post
    Hey, why won't the Govt bail them out? They did it for the automotive industry. Put some guidelines in place and keep a traditional American company going.
    Would love to see Trump do that. Talking about some PO'd folks.
    We as a country have a blown engine, a transmission that slips in every forward gear, and a rear diff with a loud whine. And our politicians keep trying to spray armorall on the tires and proudly step back as if they are helping fix the car.

Heck yes, I’d buy one in 10mm
    Maybe I need to float that idea past Remington. Those Handi-Rifle actions are quick to make. And if they made what people REALLY WANTED, not what the bean counters SAID they wanted, they might make a bit of coin in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by 10canyon53 View Post
    That is not hard to figure out. They are owned by a management company. A management company does not care about the long term viability of the companies they acquire. Think of them like spiders: they suck all the juice out and discard the carcass. All of the profits have been funneled out to the parent company. Now that we have a Pro 2A President and the scare is over (for now) they have decided it is time to discard the carcass before sales fall. Funneling the profits to the parent company allows them to file bankruptcy on and unload the holdings while keeping the profits.
    Sadly, that is exactly what they did. They bought the company, piled a ton of debt on its shoulders, then funneled the profits to the parent company in the form of management fees, leaving Remington withering.

Maybe I need to float that idea past Remington. Those Handi-Rifle actions are quick to make. And if they made what people REALLY WANTED, not what the bean counters SAID they wanted, they might make a bit of coin in the process.
    Eh. They wont make it until either Ruger or Mossberg makes a better version. Then they will make a knockoff with poor QC, and charge 50% more.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

Quote Originally Posted by terminator012 View Post
    Would love to see Trump do that. Talking about some PO'd folks.
    It'd be worth it just to watch the **** storm:
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"
    "Religion can't be allowed the coercive power of government,
    government can't be allowed the 'moral' justification of religion."

Quote Originally Posted by Big Chief View Post
    There is no need for a government bailout. Cerberus’s equity was wiped out and the company is now owned by its creditors. New lenders have stepped in to finance the company’s operations.

The US government has ZERO business using my tax dollars to prop up a failed company.

I don't mind the government bailing out essential industries finding themselves temporarily on the rocks - so long as they pay the government back in full, as Chrysler did decades ago and GM did recently. Arms makers are important. If the poo-poo hits the windmill, and things go far enough 'south,' the M4 rifles issued to our soldiers might have "Remington" stamped in their receivers instead of 'FN.' So might lots of other needed small arms. And you can be sure they'll be fed Remington ammunition, along with every other major brand.

I don't care a whit about renewable energy companies like Solyndra; the eco-chondriac, climate change and peak oil nonsense they were founded on is junk science anyway. Just like I have no 'current' interest in electric cars or autonomous vehicles - that stuff is for the free market to sort out. But guns and ammo are national security issues. I would also have no compunction about bailing out GE's Electric Boat Division, or Lockheed or Boeing or Raytheon - the Pentagon needs ships and planes and missiles and rockets. And they need domestic suppliers for all of it.

But, as I already said, the bailed out companies must be managed with government oversight, insuring they pay back what they 'borrowed.'

I guess now it will be tough to find parts for the 3 Remington 700 builds I was planning on doing.

Quote Originally Posted by shootbrownelk View Post
    Remington managed to chamber their AR in the instant flop, the 30 AR Remington. And they priced it way too high.
    They also sold .223 ARs that were essentially rebranded Bushmasters.....actually a really good rifle albeit a tad pricey for what you were getting.....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ron View Post
    I guess now it will be tough to find parts for the 3 Remington 700 builds I was planning on doing.
    Why? There's millions of them out there. Aftermarket isn't going to stop. And, the new owners will keep producing them.

Quote Originally Posted by cpj View Post
    The US government has ZERO business using my tax dollars to prop up a failed company.
    Where was your bitchin when GM got bailed out? The government handed them 39 BILLION and they only paid 27 -28 billion back and our government called it good. Bailing out Reminton would be chump change compared to that.
    Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me

Quote Originally Posted by Fisheadgib View Post
    Where was your bitchin when GM got bailed out? The government handed them 39 BILLION and they only paid 27 -28 billion back and our government called it good. Bailing out Reminton would be chump change compared to that.
    Again, Remington doesn’t need a bailout. Bankruptcy will clear the company’s debts and alllow (but not guarantee) it a chance to recover profitability.

Lenders will pay the price, not taxpayers.

I did bitch about it.

There was a bunch of bitchin about that.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.

Quote Originally Posted by cpj View Post
    I did bitch about it.
    We all bitched about it
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov