Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My boy’s longest shot.

Re: My boy’s longest shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post
    BINGO!!!!

He had no preconceived ideas. He just did what he was told in regards to dope and fundamentals.

Ernie said exactly the same thing. He was not told he couldn’t. So, he assumed he could. And........he did.

If you can see it, you can hit it. If you can’t, aim higher. Or, get a bigger gun.
    Exactly!!! That’s how I got my daughter to shoot big bore magnums and ultralight rifles and my wife to shoot a 25oz 1911 without any issues! Didn’t let anyone tell them they couldn’t do it.

Very proud of him! Wow he’s getting big!!!
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

The Power of Negative Suggestion is a Killer of Accomplishment. The Power of Positive Thinking is the Gate Way to Achievement.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Was very proud to be there to witness all of it!
    Brought back good memories of times with my son and daughter shooting distance.
    The looks and body language on this young man, was priceless!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"

I’m not gonna push him like a comp shooter. My goal is to keep it short and fun with a little lesson at a time.
    That is a very wise strategy. When kids stop having fun they lose interest. I started my two out with their Christmas rifles plinking milk jugs and 2 liter soda bottles at 25 yards. I figured killing jugs and bottles would be more fun to start with than paper targets. Had to quickly move out to 50 yards because 25 was too easy. Yesterday at the range I restricted them to 1 liter and 1/2 liter bottles at 50 yards. Every time a trigger was pulled a bottle died.....looks like it is time to move to the rifle range and paper targets to try to challenge them. There is a gong at 100 yards that should entertain them. I try to keep the range sessions fairly short to keep them from getting bored. So far they are really enjoying themselves. Keep it fun for your boy and soon he will be out-shooting you.

Good job, Pop.

I love to see boys succeed when they think they are doing 'man' things. It helps to ease their nervousness about all the things they still don't know how to do.
    Last edited by bisley; 02-11-2018 at 06:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Bishop View Post
    Was very proud to be there to witness all of it!
    Brought back good memories of times with my son and daughter shooting distance.
    The looks and body language on this young man, was priceless!
    So glad you could be a part. Thanks, Brother.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Quote Originally Posted by 10canyon53 View Post
    That is a very wise strategy. When kids stop having fun they lose interest. I started my two out with their Christmas rifles plinking milk jugs and 2 liter soda bottles at 25 yards. I figured killing jugs and bottles would be more fun to start with than paper targets. Had to quickly move out to 50 yards because 25 was too easy. Yesterday at the range I restricted them to 1 liter and 1/2 liter bottles at 50 yards. Every time a trigger was pulled a bottle died.....looks like it is time to move to the rifle range and paper targets to try to challenge them. There is a gong at 100 yards that should entertain them. I try to keep the range sessions fairly short to keep them from getting bored. So far they are really enjoying themselves. Keep it fun for your boy and soon he will be out-shooting you.
    Well done!! Keep it up!

That's some impressive shooting and tutoring. Some day I would like to be able to shoot at a target more than 200 yards away. While I have shot further than 200 yards on game, I was not very comfortable with it due to not shooting that far before. As it is my furthest shot was about 325 yards with my .35 Whelen. Only miss judged by about 100 yards..

Up until yesterday, the furthest my boy had ever shot was 300 yards. Well, Ernie was in town, so we decided it was time for the boy to stretch that some.

Grabbed my 20” Heavy Barrel .223 Remington and went to my friends ranch.

I had no clue what the dope was for the rifle since I’d not shot it at distance since Weatherby came down for a hunt forever and a day ago. We only went to 600 that day.

So, it took some guessing and figuring on ballistic apps by Ernie and my friend and then some truing shots to determine the dope.

Once we had the dope and cleaned up the targets, my boy saddled up and hammered the center with me calling wind.

With.........a 20” barreled .223 Remington!!!

700 yards!

750 yards!

That is just shy of a 1/2 Mile (.426)!! Quite proud of the little man. Glad Ernie could be a part as well.

Afterwards, Ernie wanted to shoot my AI. So he got on the wrong side of the rifle and was able to hit the bullseye at 750 yards after fouling the barrel (I had just cleaned it and needed it to be fouled) and figuring out the wind.

I had to convince Pandora that I still loved her. After letting a left handed stranger touch and shoot her. She forgave me. But, wasn’t happy.

A good old day on the range.

Wow! Well done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain

Are you interested in adopting? I am mostly house broken, a fair electrician and handy with metal fab. Plus I am good at picking up heavy stuff and reaching things on the top shelf.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13

Quote Originally Posted by Farm Boy Deuce View Post
    Are you interested in adopting? I am mostly house broken, a fair electrician and handy with metal fab. Plus I am good at picking up heavy stuff and reaching things on the top shelf.
    I could always use more child labor.

Very nice, Zee! I need to get my kiddo out to shoot some more. He is doing really good with the bolt .22. Might be time to start opening up the distance a bit
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

That's cute and all, but can he hit a pop can at 100 yards with a .22?

I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men.

Quote Originally Posted by cpj View Post
    Can’t be done. I read it on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by cpj View Post
    Zee is letting his negative (Can't be done) environment affect him...
    The answer to the question is, "Yes He Can!"
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"

Dang fine work by all involved!
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.

If it says it on the internet it's gotta be true!!! Just ask Al Gore, he invented it...
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.