Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: brass cleaning media- - - -preferences?

Re: brass cleaning media- - - -preferences?

I guess I'm the weirdo again. I use about 1 1/2 oz of liquid laundry detergent to a half full vibratory tumbler drum of corn cob media. Pour in the corn cob media and turn the tumbler on, and drizzle the detergent in to mix. It gets the cases pretty clean and no real dust problems.

I've been wondering about using sandblasting media as a case cleaner. It comes in different sizes. Maybe one of the sizes/grades would do a good cleaning job. Might have to pick up a few of the small bags at Harbor Fright next time I'm there and try it out.
    Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass.Mark Twain - Notebook, 1898
    Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence in society. --Mark Twain

Hmmmmm- - - - -just had another idea- - - - -what about pumice-based hand cleaner in the pump bottle- - - - -GoJo, Fast Orange, etc.? It's got a mild abrasive and a citrus-based detergent. Half a gallon of it sells for the same price as a quart of Frankford Arsenal additive.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite

Quote Originally Posted by Teach View Post
    Hmmmmm- - - - -just had another idea- - - - -what about pumice-based hand cleaner in the pump bottle- - - - -GoJo, Fast Orange, etc.? It's got a mild abrasive and a citrus-based detergent. Half a gallon of it sells for the same price as a quart of Frankford Arsenal additive.
    Jerry
    Wouldn't hurt to try it and see. The stuff like Go-Jo and Fast Orange are pretty cheap compared to some of the other stuff, and they sure do get the dirt/grease/oil off your mitts pretty quick. Worth a try, anyway. Tractor Supply has Black Beauty sandblast media in a 50# bag for less than $8 a bag. Might have to pick up a bag this week and give it a spin. I got some NASTY cases that need cleaning and the corncob media ain't making it.
    Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass.Mark Twain - Notebook, 1898
    Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence in society. --Mark Twain

Have you loaded any of the .50 BMG cases Robert scavenged up for you? Some of that stuff looked a little grungy!
    Jerry

My personal favorite is corn cob media with a little squirt of Flitz.

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter

I would think sand or sandblasting medium would eat up the cases fairly quickly
    Quote Originally Posted by Seven habits of highly effective pirates
    Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Quote Originally Posted by knitepoet View Post
    I would think sand or sandblasting medium would eat up the cases fairly quickly
    Not to mention scratching a chamber up if an occasional stray particle or two was left on the case.
    Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me

Corncob. If anyone was picking up fired brass, unless it was US, reloading it would be problematical to say the least since almost all is berdan primed.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

Combat troops picking up fired brass to reload it? Not bloody likely! They were probably scavenging unfired rounds from dead bodies, or ammo belts buried in sand or mud, etc. and trying to get them clean enough to shoot.
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Teach View Post
    Have you loaded any of the .50 BMG cases Robert scavenged up for you? Some of that stuff looked a little grungy!
    Jerry
    Not yet. I need to get the BIG rotary tumbler finished. It's pushing it to do 20 of those .50BMG cases in a vibratory tumbler!