Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 31 to 43 of 43

Thread: 686 locking up

  1. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    9,150

    Re: 686 locking up

    Quote Originally Posted by knitepoet View Post
    Said NOTHING about NCIC, I said, and YOU EVEN QUOTED me saying, "..Will run the serial# through the local PD..."
    I thought I made it clear. Apparently not. Your local PD will only have reports from those guns stolen and reported it that jurisdiction. In my case, maybe one a month and even then, most are not reported by SN. Pawn tickets are perused each week for serial numbers which are then run by NCIC.

    I don't remember the original picture of the 686 yoke, but typically the SN is on the butt of the gun, not the yoke. That is an assembly number plus the model number.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

  2. #32
    Moderator Linefinder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    3,835

    Re: 686 locking up

    Well, let's just solve this right now.

    I ain't skeered of the internet.

    My SSN is 666-66-6666.

    So......there.

    Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter

  3. #33
    Moderator Linefinder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    3,835

    Re: 686 locking up

    BTW...

    My 686 locked up once.

    Just once.

    Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter

  4. #34
    Senior Member early's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Thornton CO
    Posts
    4,875

    Re: 686 locking up

    Mine never has.

    Yet.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.

  5. #35
    Moderator Linefinder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    3,835

    Re: 686 locking up

    Quote Originally Posted by early View Post
    Mine never has.

    Yet.
    Mine was my fault. A healthy dose of H110 under 125 JHPs with an inadequate crimp will lock up any.357 revolver.

    Like I said...once. Lesson quickly learned


    Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter

  6. #36
    Senior Member cpj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    MOzambique
    Posts
    35,872

    Re: 686 locking up

    Quote Originally Posted by Linefinder View Post
    Well, let's just solve this right now.

    I ain't skeered of the internet.

    My SSN is 666-66-6666.

    So......there.

    Mike
    That's it. I'm reporting it to the police. But they won't have the number. Or will they? Or, who gives a about a serial number on a gun they don't own? No one should, but..
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post

    I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men.

  7. #37
    Senior Member knitepoet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    16,112

    Re: 686 locking up

    Quote Originally Posted by Gene L View Post

    I don't remember the original picture of the 686 yoke, but typically the SN is on the butt of the gun, not the yoke. That is an assembly number plus the model number.
    Nope, S&W has put the SN and model numbers on the yokes for as long as I can remember.

    I know, at least from the 70's and LONG before they introduced the 686 in the mid-late 80's
    Quote Originally Posted by Seven habits of highly effective pirates
    Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

  8. #38

    Re: 686 locking up

    Quote Originally Posted by Linefinder View Post
    Mine was my fault. A healthy dose of H110 under 125 JHPs with an inadequate crimp will lock up any.357 revolver.

    Like I said...once. Lesson quickly learned


    Mike
    H110 and W296 need a good crimp indeed. Found that out in my .44 mag. Oddly enough I found it when I emptied the cylinder after an unsatisfactory first three shots on the target. After I threw the remaining rounds in the box I noticed they were a little taller than the others. It wasnt a huge amount, but enough to notice.

  9. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    9,150

    Re: 686 locking up

    Quote Originally Posted by knitepoet View Post
    Nope, S&W has put the SN and model numbers on the yokes for as long as I can remember.

    I know, at least from the 70's and LONG before they introduced the 686 in the mid-late 80's
    Good to know. Neither of my K-frame revolvers have the serial number in the yoke. I must be and old timer. One is a 65, other in a 19. Model number, yes. Serial number, no.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

  10. #40
    Senior Member knitepoet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    16,112

    Re: 686 locking up

    The oldest S&W I have is a 70ish mod 15-3, it has the serial# on, or more accurately under, the yoke on the frame

    Just did a search, and it should have been manufactured in 1975
    Last edited by knitepoet; 02-13-2018 at 04:11 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seven habits of highly effective pirates
    Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

  11. #41
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    9,150

    Re: 686 locking up

    Mine are a bit older. SN on the butt.

    Edit: what are your sources for S&W SNumbers? I can't find a good source.
    Last edited by Gene L; 02-13-2018 at 04:30 AM.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

  12. #42
    Senior Member knitepoet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    16,112

    Re: 686 locking up

    Quote Originally Posted by Gene L View Post
    Mine are a bit older. SN on the butt.

    Edit: what are your sources for S&W SNumbers? I can't find a good source.
    The sticky on top of this forum
    Quote Originally Posted by Seven habits of highly effective pirates
    Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

  13. #43
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    9,150

    Re: 686 locking up

    Not helpful. My prefix is AFU and I was issued it in about 1982 or so.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •