Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1000 yard range coming in just 5 miles from me!

1000 yard range coming in just 5 miles from me!

We were coming back from Pensacola on 90 and I noticed a sign for a new gun range and got a little excited about the 1000 yard part. I hunted around on the net and found their website and price schedule and my excitement faded. We have our own 100yd range that I'm about to move to the property line and 150yd but those distances aren't much of a challenge with a scoped rifle. I look forward to being able to shoot farther for one day every year at the SE shoot and I got excited about the thought of having a longer range available nearby. Core Shooting Solutions is nearby but their membership is 580.00 a year and sold out anyway. The new place requires a membership for the longer ranges that are 150.00 a year to use the 100 yd range, 300.00 to use 300 yds, 525.00 to use 600 yds, and 700.00 a year to use the 1000 yd range. I just can't bring myself to pay that much to shoot at long range a few times a year.
    Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me

Re: 1000 yard range coming in just 5 miles from me!

That’s insane.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

I'm hoping I can get the new neighbor's permission to use his 600 yard range at this year's shoot. He built a very nice elevated shooting platform near the "dead end" sign at the end of the road to our place. One of our visitors commented "I see the front porch- - - -now when are they going to build the house?"

Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite

Quote Originally Posted by Teach View Post
    I'm hoping I can get the new neighbor's permission to use his 600 yard range at this year's shoot. He built a very nice elevated shooting platform near the "dead end" sign at the end of the road to our place. One of our visitors commented "I see the front porch- - - -now when are they going to build the house?"

Jerry
    Now THAT would be a lot of fun!!! I'll bring my .308 Heavy
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post
    That’s insane.
    Agreed! Unfortunately urban sprawl and in many cases local law makes it difficult to dedicate that size of real estate to a rifle range so those big ranges are as scarce as chicken lips east of the Mississippi so they can charge pretty much anything they want and get away with it. I'm very lucky to have 300 yards at my disposal close to home.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

Ouch that's awful pricey to shoot out to a grand! Yep lots of fun, hard to manage depending on the how range is set up. I've got a nice 100 yard range that I have to change because of the new house build. I can now push it to 150 yards. I can create a 600 yard range on the side of my property but it's more of a hassle than it's worth. I have a portable steel target and bench we take down down there when we want to stretch it out to 500 yards or so.
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21

I think I saw a sign for that range while driving back from Pensacola on I-10 a couple of weeks ago. I am guessing the 1,000 yard range has to run East-West. Up in the panhandle if you tried to put a 1,000 yard range in North-South you would wind up in Alabama.

The club I belong to has a plinking range with 25 and 50 yard distances, a pistol range with everything from 7 yards to 50 yards, a 200 meter silhouette range and a rifle range with targets at 100, 200 and 300 yards. All for $120 a year. We lease the property from the county and part of the lease agreement is that we have one Public Day a month. The general public can use the range for free one morning and we have to provide RSO's. I think I will go through the next RSO class they have because if I serve 6 times in a year, my membership is free.

Every time they open a long range place around here, the owner's seem to think it's worth a whole bunch of money to stretch the legs of your rifle.....dumbasses haven't figured out they would get more cash from more shooters if the would charge a reasonable fee....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Does the range have any other amenities/ services for that price? That seems really high
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

I suspect the price will come down once a good number of the shooters figure out their optics, factory rifle and factory ammo won't consistently cut it at 1K.

I know we talk LR a lot (guilty, I'll admit), but 1K is a long ways off for most rifles, ammo, and pilots. I think the allure for most folks will fade pretty quick. Especially if you routinely get wind.

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter

There are actually three ranges within 30 minutes of me and Core is just slightly further. One of the ranges has concrete culverts that you have to shoot through on the rifle line to keep people from shooting over the berm and the other three ranges require a membership to keep their insurance lower. I think the main expense of the two long ranges is having to move so much dirt to make safe berms. This area is reasonably flat and Core has a man-made mountain for a berm that took around two years to make. That place is world class and the memberships are sold out so this new place figures that they can charge more as they're the only other long range in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawker View Post
    Every time they open a long range place around here, the owner's seem to think it's worth a whole bunch of money to stretch the legs of your rifle.....dumbasses haven't figured out they would get more cash from more shooters if the would charge a reasonable fee....
    Well put. You can price yourself right out of the market hoping money bags will show up to shoot. There are a number of things that discourages shooters from shooting and shooting well at a grand or more.

A lot of shooters think they can shoot a grand, which they can. But how well they'll shoot is a totally another story.
    Not having a spotter or being able to see your hits will discourage a lot of shooters quickly.
    Not understanding winds and how to dope them is a biggy... like my tag line says "Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!"
    Not having any idea of their rifle external ballistics for the bullet and round they're shooting also discourages shooters.
    Not having a reticle and turret system in the scope designed for long range shooting
    Too much scope power which makes them fight the mirage. I never use over 10X at a grand or more.

I could keep going but theirs a lot that goes into. Just ask Zee and some others who shoot those ranges.

We have TAC PRO or at least the that was the name the last time I shot there a few years back. It's one set fee for the year, plus they have a daily fee. The problem is you have to be there early to shoot 1000 yards as it also supports 100 to 1000 yards at 100 yard increments. Now they have a 100 and 200 yard range separate from the 1000 yard range. If folks are shooting shorter ranges you're out of luck shooting a grand. We'd go during the week, less folks and usually we had the range to ourselves in the afternoon. The problem with the afternoon was the mirage. It's a great range and set up well minus the part it shares shorter ranges.
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21

Quote Originally Posted by Fisheadgib View Post
    That place is world class and the memberships are sold out so this new place figures that they can charge more as they're the only other long range in the area.
    As much as that price sucks for us....that is simple supply and demand. Capitalism at its finest, that's what makes our economy work. As long as people will pay that price, it will not come down. If they discover nobody is willing to pay that price, it will drop sooner or later. Kind of like one day admission to Disney World. They just announced another price increase, right after posting last years record attendance numbers.....simple economics.

The gun club I belong to has 9 ranges from 7 yds. to 300 yds all for $100.00 a year , we own the range, also have an FFl on sight. New members are always welcome.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT

I guess that shooting at long ranges is becoming more popular because chassis based rifles in flat shooting calibers seem to be selling. The Ranger Camp and the 77th Special Forces Camp have long ranges but they're only used for training and the range on Hurlburt that is open to all military personnel is only 100yds long so even GI's that want to shoot farther have to venture out to the civilian ranges. When Core first opened under a different name, I thought they would never sell but the memberships sold out! That place is a world class training facility and I doubt that this new range could compare but they're going to charge more. The furthest I've ever gotten to shoot is 300yds and I'd like to try my hand at five or six hundred but not bad enough to pay those prices.

Just throwing this out, just because...

300 yards is a decent shot, depending entirely on your target size. A coke can is impressive. A hubcap is not.

Back out to 1K though.....and the gods come into play. Given even slightly unknown distance, changing lighting, and variable terrain and winds...

You can miss a pickup truck at (plus or minus a few yards) 1K even if you're a good shot.

The most important thing is knowing the exact distance. First and foremost.

And the wind....more of a feel thing than an exact science.

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter

Prices are crazy!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"

I used to have a place I could shoot 300 yards, and it was great. But, mostly, I didn't get around to it much. It was humbling, for the most part. I didn't have a good spotting scope, so it required a lot of travel back and forth, which interrupts the concentration quite a bit. However, 200 yards was a lot of fun, because it was so much easier, but still fairly challenging, group-wise (for me). I suppose it is different for everyone, depending on ability and eyesight, but I've not personally seen very many people shoot well at 300 yards. Mostly, I don't take people too seriously that claim long range skills, other than a few people here that have invested a lot of time into it.

I think it would have required about 2-3 range sessions per month for me to have put up any sort of consistent sub-MOA groups at 300 yards. As much as I love to shoot, it started to feel like work, if I was shooting once a week, and keeping up with the hand loading, too. I already felt like I had plenty of work to do.

Personally, I think that the average person would probably have more fun shooting .22's at 50-150 yards. There is no requirement to keep tweaking a hand load, so there is more instant gratification, shooting-wise. Of course, you need a very good rifle to consistently shoot MOA at 100 yards. I'm not sure that I have ever done it with my off-the-shelf equipment. I have fairly often shot something very close to MOA, at 50 yards, but I lose it at a 100 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by Linefinder View Post
    Just throwing this out, just because...

300 yards is a decent shot, depending entirely on your target size. A coke can is impressive. A hubcap is not.

Back out to 1K though.....and the gods come into play. Given even slightly unknown distance, changing lighting, and variable terrain and winds...

You can miss a pickup truck at (plus or minus a few yards) 1K even if you're a good shot.

The most important thing is knowing the exact distance. First and foremost.

And the wind....more of a feel thing than an exact science.

Mike
    Lot of truth here.
    Size of the target (Smaller it is the harder it is), cold bore shot or sighter shots, shooting position (bench=easiest to the weirdest field shooting positions=hardest), atmospheric conditions, and the time frame or the pressure you are under to make the shot, can change the shot from easy to very difficult. Add to that physical stress or high heart rate and you have a mixture for all kinds of humility.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"

What a bunch of Debbie Downers!!!

It’s shooting. It’s fun! It ain’t rocket surgery!!!

Get out there and shoot. You’re gonna hit something!! You can’t miss dirt!! (Metaphorically speaking.)

Seriously, you guys are gonna scare folks off. My little boy just did it. Can’t be impossible.

Folks, get out there and shoot. If you miss.........so what!! Shoot again. If you miss.......shoot again. The beauty of shooting is that you learn whether you hit OR miss!! So, ya got nothing to lose.

If you can see it........you can hit it. The only way to learn how to shoot in the wind is to........shoot in the wind. You won’t get better at distances by staring at the internet. Practice. Practice. Practice.

Oh, and steel is your friend!! Instant feedback and easier to see impacts.

About the only time I shoot paper is at 100 yards. But, I ain’t a boring Bench or F-Class shooter. I just hit things.

Oh, and steel is your friend!! Instant feedback and easier to see impacts.

About the only time I shoot paper is at 100 yards. But, I ain’t a boring Bench or F-Class shooter. I just hit things.
    That's why I take a lot of steel targets to the SE shoot every year, nothing says "I hit it!" like the clang of steel. I'll bet no where near as many rounds would be fired every year if all we had was paper targets. Every year, more and more folks have been bringing steel.

Quick solution to wind!

If you miss right...........aim left. Reverse as needed.

The more you shoot, the better you will be able to anticipate the drift. Resulting in fewer or less dramatic misses. But rest assured.........nobody gets it perfect every time. So, don’t sweat it. Shoot. Learn. Enjoy. Repeat.

Wind and distance don’t bother me. My biggest consternation is heavy mirage. It’s like shooting at a moving target underwater.

Doable, but interesting. Best I’ve learned to avoid such conditions if possible is to shoot early or late in the day. Unless you just want to look through a coke bottle.

Wind and distance don’t bother me. My biggest consternation is heavy mirage. It’s like shooting at a moving target underwater.

Doable, but interesting. Best I’ve learned to avoid such conditions if possible is to shoot early or late in the day. Unless you just want to look through a coke bottle.
    I've ran into that when shooting prairie dogs in the summer. The only way I can deal with it is to turn down the magnification of the scope. That seems to help clear up the mirage, but it's still darned hard to hit one of those little buggers at long distance. At least it is for me.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

What a bunch of Debbie Downers!!!

It’s shooting. It’s fun! It ain’t rocket surgery!!!

Get out there and shoot. You’re gonna hit something!! You can’t miss dirt!! (Metaphorically speaking.)

Seriously, you guys are gonna scare folks off. My little boy just did it. Can’t be impossible.

Folks, get out there and shoot. If you miss.........so what!! Shoot again. If you miss.......shoot again. The beauty of shooting is that you learn whether you hit OR miss!! So, ya got nothing to lose.

If you can see it........you can hit it. The only way to learn how to shoot in the wind is to........shoot in the wind. You won’t get better at distances by staring at the internet. Practice. Practice. Practice.

This.

I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men.

Well, I have never been called a "DD" before
    When it comes to beginners, I am looking for success: Decent sized targets, good conditions, and a gun that I know shoots well.
    I have taken a number of newbies and watched them/helped them make connections out to a grand on their first time.
    I want success to be easy and fun.
    The grins and the smiles on those days are priceless.
    On the other hand, if some someone has the illusion that hunting at 1K is easy (You can buy your way into proficiency) and or they can automatically be competitive in PRS or LR tactical matches for the same reasons, then I want to help them experience something completely different.
    I want them to see that shooting distance on some days from certain positions is relatively easy, and at other times it can be crazy hard.
    Crazy hard for me is terrible mirage, combined with switchy winds.
    Winds over 25 mph with gusting winds that jump to 10 mph faster can be futile (But hey, it is fun trying to catch the cycle-the lull\constant wind sometimes). Just depends on how you define fun and challenging.
    Of course if you use smaller targets, limited time to shoot, and uncomfortable shooting positions add to that.
    But, for me, I liked being pushed/challenged because that is where I learn.
    This is one of the reasons I like shooting with Zee
    I try to take a shooter where they are at and keep encouraging them to excel.
    I want to keep it fun and I want there to be success during the whole process.
    That will look a little different for every person.

When trying new things or changing things up don't be surprised if you make a misstep
    last week when I shot Zee's AI at 750 yards, I had in my mind around a 2 MOA correction for wind. I was using the reticle in the scope for drop and drift.
    Since 99% of the time I use MOA versus MIL I held two dashes (MOA in my mind) and fired. The shot was off the target to the right!
    I was wondering how I could be so off on my wind correction...
    Then it hit me...each dash was 2/10ths of a MIL...DUH! Embrace the lessons when they come your way.
    From that time forward I was thinking in MILS instead of MOA.
    I knew ahead of time that the scope was a MIL reticle, and I still went to MOA in my thinking.
    Everyone misses and makes mistakes. Learn from them. Laugh at yourself often. Keep shooting!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"

The furthest I can shoot safely on the farm here is a little over 500 yards. Safely being that my neighbor's pasture and cattle are at right angle to my line of sight along the power line right of way. I have to cut it short in order not to be buying a lot of beef I don't need. If it weren't for the moo cows, I could stretch it to nearly 800 yards. But then there's the crossing the creek to set up/check targets, and keeping the shooting lane mowed down. Easier to just do the 350 yards I can manage without a lot of hassle. And I can check the targets with my telescope with the erector prism installed to flip the image vertically.

There are a couple of 1,000 yard ranges within driving distance, but the cost of membership is exorbitant, and both are filled with rich Knoxville and Oak Ridge snobs. You can pay for a day of shooting at both. I've shot at both ranges and won't go back. I don't need that kind of negativity in my life!
    Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass.Mark Twain - Notebook, 1898
    Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence in society. --Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Fisheadgib View Post
    That's why I take a lot of steel targets to the SE shoot every year, nothing says "I hit it!" like the clang of steel. I'll bet no where near as many rounds would be fired every year if all we had was paper targets. Every year, more and more folks have been bringing steel.
    My auto resetting "Mini-man" has been a "hit" every time I've brought it.

It finally broke last year, (Andgle iron that holds it to the pivot) and it HAS been repaired and will be making the trip again this year

Welder beefed it up with MORE and heavier angle iron, so I expect, AT LEAST, another 6-8 years of heavy use before I break it again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seven habits of highly effective pirates
    Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.