Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When and how did you meet your spouse or significant other?

When and how did you meet your spouse or significant other?

This being valentine's day and all, it seems appropriate to start a thread like this.

I met my wife in January, 1969 at a high school dance. I was 17, and she had just turned 16. After a whirlwind romance 36 years later, we got hitched. Our 13th anniversary is coming up next month.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

Re: When and how did you meet your spouse or significant other?

I met my wife at a birthday party in October, 1972. We were married in October, 1973. After nearly 45 years and seven grandchildren, it's starting to look like we might make it.

Nursing school-- we were in the same class. That was 22 years ago. We will be married for 14 years this May.

Picked her up streetwalking.
    Seriously. I knew her in class at college. She was kind of a sporto, softball stuff, wearing sweats a lot. Well she was walking home in the cold and the sweats outlined her assets so I slowed down, pulled over and picked her up.

Dang, my throttle foot just twitched......
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.

At a college mixer, I was in charge of pouring beer out of the kegs, late 80's.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11

My sister set us up. She kept telling me that she worked with this really cool girl I should meet. I kept brushing her off, and finally agreed to meet in January '02. Met, started dating, dated a year, engaged a year, and was married in early '04.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

I met her over the phone on March 5, 1990. My sister worked with her and thought we would be a good match.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.

My mother, and her father worked together.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"
    "Religion can't be allowed the coercive power of government,
    government can't be allowed the 'moral' justification of religion."

200 years ago and through a mutual "friend".
    What I thought was, turned out to be wasn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post

I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men.

Only # 4 counts, saw this pretty woman talking to some guy on a HD Sporty, fired up my springer pulled along side , asked her if she wanted to go for a ride on a real scooter, next day we went riding, been together ever since, 11 1/2 years ago, married 10 this Feb.4th, longest relationship I have ever had, looking for many more, took me 68 years to find the right lady.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT

She was the "new girl" in our business unit and her boss asked her to attend a luncheon I was throwing for one of my guys that was transferring to another division. She got to sit at the only chair available at this HUGE table and it happened to be right across from me. I asked her who she was, she introduced herself and then I asked her why she was at my party since I did not remember inviting her... She thought I was an arrogant ass...

Then next day she found out that her cubicle was just outside my office door
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

We had some mutual friends in high school, and knew each other from parties and such. My then-girlfriend dumped me, then showed up at another party with him, so I finished my beer and left.

As I was in my car getting ready to leave, Wife-to-be tapped on my window and bade me “be careful driving home.”

A few days later I asked her out, and here we are celebrating 29 years married this coming Sunday.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.
    NRA Endowment Member

Met on, the now mostly defunct, yahoo chat in an Alabama chat room in the late summer of '01. Chatted online for a couple of months. met for dinner in Oct '01.

3mo and 4 days later, were standing in her parent's living room (her mom had serious health problems and wouldn't have been able to attend a "church" wedding) in front of her former boss, who had retired from medicine and went into the ministry.

He passed away last year, but until then, every time I saw him, I always joked about him being a good knot tier.

We just celebrated number 16.

The valentine's card I gave her mentioned her one ability that no other woman has, on the front ... and, "The ability to put up with me" inside
    Quote Originally Posted by Seven habits of highly effective pirates
    Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post
    She was the "new girl" in our business unit and her boss asked her to attend a luncheon I was throwing for one of my guys that was transferring to another division. She got to sit at the only chair available at this HUGE table and it happened to be right across from me. I asked her who she was, she introduced herself and then I asked her why she was at my party since I did not remember inviting her... She thought I was an arrogant ass...

#metoo
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

She "THOUGHT"
    Quote Originally Posted by Seven habits of highly effective pirates
    Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Grade school, started dating when I was 16, she 15.
    I turned in the key to the can of worms
    They just issued me a new key

Logansport Indiana, by way of Hohenwald Tennessee by way of Cocoa Florida

I met the TKOTCB in high school, she was a year ahead of me. robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO

Quote Originally Posted by knitepoet View Post
    She "THOUGHT"
    I had been having problems with my step daughter and it finally broke me and Fe up in October, 2010. She moved out and I was destroyed. I was drinking a lot and finally found AA and quit. When Fe and I were together we used to frequent this one chat room that had a lot of Filipinos. We used to get on there and joke around and chat. I enjoyed it. I hadn't been on there in years and one night I was surfing around and went there. I saw a pic of a beautiful girl. I was just slightly interested. But then we finally began chatting a week or so later. We did so on Yahoo Messenger with web cams so it was almost like in real life. We chatted like that for a couple years and I finally wanted to go meet her. Fe and I were still married because we didn't have the cash for a divorce. I did but I wasn't going to pay for the whole thing. Anyway, I finally made reservations for a flight and in October, 2013, I finally went and arrived at Ninoy Aquino International airport at about 8:45 PM October 8th. From the second I first saw her it took me about five seconds to fall head over heals with her. She was totally beautiful. I have never met a woman like her. She has been totally honest with me since I met her and she has a heart bigger than the moon. A lot has happened since and We are both free from our former spouses and I have petitioned her with immigration for a fiance visa. I have since gone to see her several times and I know this time it's not a mistake. I'll be going there it looks like early April to await her visa interview. Then hopefully I'll bring her here. Then I'll have 90 days to marry her and record the marriage with USCIS. Then they will do her green card.
    Last edited by snake284; 02-14-2018 at 11:06 PM.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

We both worked for the same ambulance service....she was a dispatcher and I was working (part-time) on the road. At the time I was also writing a monthly column for an outdoor magazine.....she offered to edit my work....one thing led to another....22 years later we're living in a little place in the woods.....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Quote Originally Posted by JerryBobCo View Post
    This being valentine's day and all, it seems appropriate to start a thread like this.

I met my wife in January, 1969 at a high school dance. I was 17, and she had just turned 16. After a whirlwind romance 36 years later, we got hitched. Our 13th anniversary is coming up next month.
    For the sake of fairness, I should give my wife's side of the story. It's not the way I recollect it, but she insists it's the way it was.

Late in my third grade year, my family moved. They even took me with them. As such, my two sisters and I started school in a different elementary school the next fall. Since my younger sister and I both have September birthdays, my mom decided to have a joint birthday party. I invited everyone in my 4th grade class, and my sister invited everyone in her 3rd grade class. It just so happened that my wife was in my sister's 3rd grade class.

The weather for the party was nice, and some of us were playing outside. We had a swing set in the back yard. Now here's the part in dispute. According to my wife, she was on the swing, and I ordered her to get off of it. I can't imagine doing anything so me, but she claims I did. If so, I guess that's how and when I met her.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

We met in High School, and have been pretty much inseparable since. It has been the best 6 years of my life!
    "Marriage is a hunting permit that allows you only one dear at a time"

Met mine at High School in senior year. Got married then divorced a couple years later when I was deployed in the Med. That was a fiasco.

Then there were the next two; Goth chicks. Met them through friends at the first nuclear plant I worked at. Almost married one of them, but she got hooked on drugs.

Then the next one introduced to me by a friend at the nuke plant. She was 'the one' until she told me I'd have to sell the boat and my guns, and was actually REALLY serious about it. I told her to go to Hades and never saw her again.

Then one more I met by chance at a party that seemed O.K. After a little while, I figured out that she was seriously Bi as in Bipolar. She could be sweet as honey one minute and then turn into the witch from the Wizard of Oz the next. Too much excitement there. Finally figured out dating was safer, and no long term commitment.
    Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass.Mark Twain - Notebook, 1898
    Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence in society. --Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by tennmike View Post
    Then there were the next two; Goth chicks. Met them through friends at the first nuclear plant I worked at. Almost married one of them, but she got hooked on drugs.
    Goth chicks are generally REALLY cool people - but drugs are endemic in the sub-culture.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"
    "Religion can't be allowed the coercive power of government,
    government can't be allowed the 'moral' justification of religion."

You? An arrogant ass?
    Man. I better have a talking to with your wife.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post

I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men.

Quote Originally Posted by tennmike View Post
    Met mine at High School in senior year. Got married then divorced a couple years later when I was deployed in the Med. That was a fiasco.

Then the next one introduced to me by a friend at the nuke plant. She was 'the one' until she told me I'd have to sell the boat and my guns, and was actually REALLY serious about it. I told her to go to Hades and never saw her again.

Then one more I met by chance at a party that seemed O.K. After a little while, I figured out that she was seriously Bi as in Bipolar. She could be sweet as honey one minute and then turn into the witch from the Wizard of Oz the next. Too much excitement there. Finally figured out dating was safer, and no long term commitment.
    Better to be alone than to wish you were....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Quote Originally Posted by bullsi1911 View Post
    #metoo
    Let’s just say I’m NEVER running for office
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

We've known each other since 1st.grade. she and a friend started sitting at our lunch table in 11th grade. I finally asked her out but she was dating someone else. When they stopped, she asked me out. Started going "steady" the night of the homecoming game in 1980. Married in 84. Still together 34 yrs later.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawker View Post
    Better to be alone than to wish you were....
    Considering that I was working 72 to 96 hours a week due to forced overtime during the years of that mess, I really didn't have time to do anything on an off day but sleep, and eat like a starved Rottweiler.
    The problem with that living alone is that you find out you don't NEED anyone in your life full time. And that makes it hard for a gal to get anywhere close to you. They have to be REALLY special and work hard to 'cut the maverick out of the herd' as it were and get your undivided attention. Not one in a million gals are up to that task; they think it should be the other way around. Which means that I've pissed off a bunch of them that think they are god's gift to mankind.
    Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass.Mark Twain - Notebook, 1898
    Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence in society. --Mark Twain

Our meeting is one of those situations that makes us believe that we were meant to be together.

August 1983, 2 years out of high school. My wife's best friend had just separated from her high school sweetie, and somehow wound up on a date with my brother. It was to be a double date, but Susan (my wife) wound up being a third wheel on that date because her date cancelled.

My brother decided the three of them should drive to my parents house to see if I was home. I wasn't home, but drove up the same time they did. I jumped in my brother's car and the four of us went back to his place.

There was an instant connection and we talked for hours...we married in 1985. That night launched a love affair that is going strong today. She is my best friend in the world and the greatest blessing in my life. We are practically joined at the hip and I thank God for every moment we share together.

My brother never dated that girl again. She went back to her high school sweetie who she is married to today. No doubt in our minds that we are in an arranged marriage. God arranged it so my brother would have that one date with Susan's friend for the sole purpose of bringing us together.
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock.

Will Rogers

Met on a blind date. Her uncle worked with me and set it up. I had never laid eyes on her before. I will tell you how the first date went when I have time to tell a long story. If she stayed with me through that night it was meant to be.
    We as a country have a blown engine, a transmission that slips in every forward gear, and a rear diff with a loud whine. And our politicians keep trying to spray armorall on the tires and proudly step back as if they are helping fix the car.