Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Survival knife, what do you have?

Survival knife, what do you have?

What's your survival knife?

And where did you get it?

Re: Survival knife, what do you have?

That's a vague question. My hunting pack has a kukri, a leatherman (no idea what type just a multi tool) a small skinning knife, and cold steels big giant "throwing knife" which is more like a sharp pry bar which is why I have it. All of the have their own use to me and I wouldn't never go with out all of them.

Where did I get them: Not sure anymore but I'd guess I probably got most if not all off amazon

I'm looking for an all purpose type of survival knife. Fixed blade, 6-9 inch blade, sheath, etc.

I got one of these as a gift from my step dad. It looks kind of cheesy, but it really isn't a bad "do all" generic survival type knife. The fire starter works pretty good...
    http://www.gerbergear.com/Survival/K...nife_31-000751
    That said, I tend to have specific knives for specific tasks.

I have a few of these: (the regular one, not the "bowie" one)
    http://www.coldsteel.com/bushmanseries.html

Now they seem kinda cheesy, and maybe they are. however, when they run them on special 3 for 30 bucks, they aint so cheesy. But they typically only run that special before Christmas.
    They get wicked sharp, could be used as a spear in a pinch, and are pretty dang tough. The sheath BLOWS, but a 5 dollar piece of Kydex and a heat gun will fix that problem posthaste.
    That don't confront me, as long as I get my money by next Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by Learning View Post

RAT 7 and a RAT 3 from Ontario cutlery...

http://www.knivesplus.com/ontario-ra...ll-knives.html

Nothing fancy, but very tough and dependable...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Benchmade Griptillian (551, IDK how to spell it) that goes with me EVERYWHERE, and some kind of Boker fixed blade that is, I think, 4" long or so.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C

Not sure it is a survival knife, but daily wear is the Kershaw "Blur." Mine is similar to a drop point and no serrated blade.
    Wal-mart here sells the Tanto/Serrated Blur for like $57.
    I am very pleased with this assisted opening knife.
    I received good counsel when seeking a blade, and it is my most carried knife now.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"

Quote Originally Posted by Learning View Post

I got a couple of knives that would be a great choice if I had to abandon civilization and depend entirely on myself. Easy to do the big stuff like build a shelter etc with any of these.

Treeman Combat Knife

Bruce Gillespie Camp Knife. Bruce and I designed this knife from some common ideas we had. Actually I had this knife made for my wife and then my brother in law fell in love with it so I passed it along to him and had a second one made which my brother in law's best friend fell in love with so I passed it along to HIM and now I had a third one made with a 6" blade (the first 2 were 7") and I'm keeping that one. It's turning into one of Bruce's best sellers.

And my Bruce Gillespie Big Knife which Bruce made for me out of .300" D2 (8" blade) and Dessert Ironwood scales.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

Check these out for hard core knives that have been proven.

http://www.eseeknives.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawker View Post
    RAT 7 and a RAT 3 from Ontario cutlery...

http://www.knivesplus.com/ontario-ra...ll-knives.html

Nothing fancy, but very tough and dependable...
    Another good choice for sure.

Don't have one, I do have several knives I use for nec chores.
    Division one critter rescue team leader.

Haven't you guys ever heard of a K-Bar I don't carry a big knife too much weight for the terrain I hunt. I carry a big revolver If something reaches out and grabs me I wear a Schrade Old Timer on my chest strap, that's all I need for field dressing. I do own a K-Bar as an OH $#!+ item but never take it into the woods. In my pack I have some survival gear but nothing fancy or elaberate. I don't need a fire starter when I carry wind proof/water proof matches, a Bic and two heat tabs.

Quote Originally Posted by Freezer View Post
    Haven't you guys ever heard of a K-Bar .
    Yep. I have one. USMC version. It sucks. Has to be one of my least favorite blades. IMHO, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by cpj View Post
    Yep. I have one. USMC version. It sucks. Has to be one of my least favorite blades. IMHO, of course.
    I never have, currently don't, and never will own a K-bar. I've used friends before for various tasks and like you say, they suck.

I had those things issued, I thought they were junk.
    Division one critter rescue team leader.

OK so much for being a smart I must admit I've never used the thing. Thing is as sharp as can be. It belonged to my best friend and I inharited it with his passing. Too big too bulky. It sits in camp.

Quote Originally Posted by Freezer View Post
    OK so much for being a smart I must admit I've never used the thing. Thing is as sharp as can be. It belonged to my best friend and I inharited it with his passing. Too big too bulky. It sits in camp.
    I dont feel that way. Unwieldy, best describes it for me. I have bigger knives, but they just "feel" better. I dont know what it is, but I have no love for that knife.

During WWII the K-BAR, was a hell of a knife...and in its original form (leather handle, leather scabbard, parkerized blade) still is a veritable classic...in a display case.....with some USMC memorabilia.....and a 1911.
    That being said...knife design has improved in giant leaps and bounds since then...there a SO many, much better, utility/fighting knives out there it staggers the imagination. Knives are even designed to accommodate different fighting styles...from pokey, stabby things, to hacky, slashy things...

The sheath BLOWS, but a 5 dollar piece of Kydex and a heat gun will fix that problem posthaste.
    AHEM.

I wonder if anyone else here has ever tried making Kydex knife sheaths. Maybe, someone in Kansas? If they did, it sure would be nice to see pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Bishop View Post
    Not sure it is a survival knife, but daily wear is the Kershaw "Blur." Mine is similar to a drop point and no serrated blade.
    Wal-mart here sells the Tanto/Serrated Blur for like $57.
    I am very pleased with this assisted opening knife.
    I received good counsel when seeking a blade, and it is my most carried knife now.
    Ernie speaks truth.

I have this one, which I REALLY like for an every day carry knife. Gets wicked sharp, and is very well built. And is not a half breed. I despise half serrated blade knives.

http://www.kershaw-knives.net/Kersha...-KS1670BLK.htm

AHEM.

I wonder if anyone else here has ever tried making Kydex knife sheaths. Maybe, someone in Kansas? If they did, it sure would be nice to see pictures.
    I've been huntin...er somethin or another...patience damnit!....I'll get to it....OR I can just send you the knife....

I have a Leatherman Wave, a Buck Tactical (their word, not mine) and my ole Gerber folder that i carried forever in law enforcement.

If you are in to this sort of thing: http://www.knifemaking.com/Default.asp The warehouse is in Davis, OK, and i know these people personally.
    Last edited by CaptainRoadBlock; 01-05-2012 at 05:13 AM.
    So Officer, why did you shoot my client 8 times? Uh, the magazine ran dry.

Patience my ace! Its been close to a year. You aint been hunting that long. I mean, you are retired.

And while I would love to take the knife and make one, I have not the time. Hell, I just remembered I have some bullets to ship off. Bullets that are sitting in the same spot they have been for the past 3 weeks. Sorry Bob. :blush:

Well, I HAVE been sleeping in some too....and napping....and besides, we had 54 days over 100 last summer...who wants to use a heat gun when it's 115 degrees in the garage?

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawker View Post
    During WWII the K-BAR, was a hell of a knife...and in its original form (leather handle, leather scabbard, parkerized blade) still is a veritable classic...in a display case.....with some USMC memorabilia.....and a 1911.
    That being said...knife design has improved in giant leaps and bounds since then...there a SO many, much better, utility/fighting knives out there it staggers the imagination. Knives are even designed to accommodate different fighting styles...from pokey, stabby things, to hacky, slashy things...
    I've owned them in the past and do enjoy the Kbar. They just don't hold up to the things they teach people to do with knives these days. They have a weak point right at the handle due to how they designed the tang. They'll break there every time.

The problem I have with "Survival" knives is that they are geared more towards "Fighting" than "Surviving". Fighting knives need certain attributes- thick, stabby, slashy- that would be at direct opposite of what you would need a knife to do day-to-day in a survival situation. If you are fighting, you are not surviving very well.

You would need to dress and cut up game, cut up food, sharpen sticks, cut paracord, and do general camp work. A thinner, sharper utility or 'camp' blade will get a lot more use.

So, personally- I think you need two knives. A fighter, and a camp knife.

My Fighter is a Cold Steel "SRK" http://www.coldsteel.com/srk.html

My 'Camp' knife is in the process of being built. It is based on this blade: http://www.texasknife.com/vcom/produ...roducts_id=626
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRoadBlock View Post

If you are in to this sort of thing: http://www.knifemaking.com/Default.asp The warehouse is in Davis, OK, and i know these people personally.
    I have used them for supplies before. Good company.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

It may not be what most call a "survival knife" but I have owned the Kershaw blade trader for over twenty-five years and it is very handy and always in my pack while hunting. The "saw" blade is very handy for dressing deer.
    I also have a custom skinning knife made by Bob White of Galesburg, Illinois. Bob has quite a reputation in our area and is in his eighties and a fine gentleman.

Edited to add a photo of Bob White's custom knife.

http://www.kershaw-knives.net/Kersha...r-1095SBTX.php
    Last edited by shooter; 01-06-2012 at 06:24 PM. Reason: add photo

If I'm in a survival situatition it most likely means I did not intend on needing a knife in the first place so I would have to say my "survival"knife is the one I have in my pocket every day.
    CRKT M16-14D
    USMC 80-84
    -91 lbs