Thread: Depleted Uranium Ammunition

Depleted Uranium Ammunition

In war, the advantages of Depleted Uranium munitions help the United States stomp other countries into the ground.

The United States and its NATO allies maintain that Depleted Uranium dust (a by-product) doesn't cause cancer and birth defects, however, 136 countries are citing other research saying that it does.

Which side do you think is right?

Here is the wikipedia entry:
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depleted_uranium

Re: Depleted Uranium Ammunition

I was always told to stay away from any blown up tanks because they were radioactive. That is what I got during the rad con training I stayed awake for...
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Quote Originally Posted by cpj View Post

There no mangos like Dans mangos.

Banned

When metals collide at high speed , ya get airborne particles. Happens in machine shops too. Certain metals cause very bad long term health problems , usually in or through the respiratory system. Even if it's radioactive number is zero , the metal itself is poisonous by nature. Berylium alloys such as over 4% berylium copper , Albemet , and others require OSHA-approved breathing apparatus and even vacuum set-ups with special filters.

The Gulf War was probably the biggest use of depeleted uranium projectiles , followed by waves of troops coming thru the dust , with particles still in the air. Even if they settled , the following parade of troops and vehicles , and low flying aircraft kept the particles in the air.

But Govt tests showed Agent Orange was safe too!
    Last edited by mkk41; 01-07-2012 at 06:14 AM.

Here's a document that covers the subject. U-238 is pretty stable with an extremely long half life, so doesn't give off much radiation. The DU is encased in an outer jacket so only small amounts of gamma radiation are present. The projectiles are pretty harmless until they hit something hard and vaporize. Breathing the vaporized projectile dust is bad. Alpha and beta radiation particles won't penetrate the outer layer of skin, but once you breathe in the dust, they do their dirty work.

http://www.ieer.org/fctsheet/uranium.html

"Uranium-238 emits alpha particles which are less penetrating than other forms of radiation, and weak gamma rays As long as it remains outside the body, uranium poses little health hazard (mainly from the gamma-rays). If inhaled or ingested, however, its radioactivity poses increased risks of lung cancer and bone cancer. Uranium is also chemically toxic at high concentrations and can cause damage to internal organs, notably the kidneys. Animal studies suggest that uranium may affect reproduction, the developing fetus,(1) and increase the risk of leukemia and soft tissue cancers.(2)"
    A lion does not concern himself with the opinions of sheep.

I'm pretty sure it's not exactly high in vitamin C.
    WWJMBD?

Ok, so .277 is the number of The Beast. This makes The Beast. . .what. . .a chihuahua?

It's an accepted fact that dust from expended/penetrated DU rounds are the caue of Gulf War syndrome. In the Air Force, we are explicitly trained to stay away from vehicles/armor known to have been shot with the stuff. It's incredibly effective for its intended purpose, but its nasty side-effects are well-documented.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Six-Gun View Post
    It's an accepted fact that dust from expended/penetrated DU rounds are the caue of Gulf War syndrome. In the Air Force, we are explicitly trained to stay away from vehicles/armor known to have been shot with the stuff. It's incredibly effective for its intended purpose, but its nasty side-effects are well-documented.
    I guess, then, that's is a pretty safe bet that getting hit by a DU round isn't a good thing....correct?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Linefinder View Post
    I guess, then, that's is a pretty safe bet that getting hit by a DU round isn't a good thing....correct?

Mike
    Unless you catch it through an ear flap, I'd say yes.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Six-Gun View Post
    Unless you catch it through an ear flap, I'd say yes.
    I don't know about that. I have it on good authority ("Guns in America" documentary I watched about ten minutes of yesterday) that if it's from a .50 cal (M2 or Barrett) it's illegal to shoot it at people in wartime, and if you do and the bullet passes within a foot of their head, the vacuum is still going to remove their top-notch.

Mike

At the airline we would get DU counterweights off the flight controls that had been damaged or the epoxy coating had been chiped and had to be repaired and repainted, we always worked on them under a sealed glass bubble and wore a resperator and hazmat suit. The airline said they were safe?? but they were always tested with a geiger (sp) counter. Nobody liked to work on them.
    JAY

Quote Originally Posted by Linefinder View Post
    I don't know about that. I have it on good authority ("Guns in America" documentary I watched about ten minutes of yesterday) that if it's from a .50 cal (M2 or Barrett) it's illegal to shoot it at people in wartime, and if you do and the bullet passes within a foot of their head, the vacuum is still going to remove their top-notch.

Mike
    We(place I worked) made the 120mm nato(tank) round with DU and one of my customers made the 30mm with DU. Pretty sure it started on the A10 but I have never heard of DU on any 50 cal round.

Here's your .50 BMG DU round and the rifle used to fire the experimental cartridge. Interesting concept that became obsolete due to armor technology.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...echette-rifle/
    A lion does not concern himself with the opinions of sheep.

Quote Originally Posted by tennmike View Post
    Here's your .50 BMG DU round and the rifle used to fire the experimental cartridge. Interesting concept that became obsolete due to armor technology.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...echette-rifle/
    Read "Experimental". The customer I worked with was making the 25mm and 30mm round with the saboted fletchet... I might have one of the segments around somewhere. It was a 3 piece aluminum segment with a nylon molded ring holding it all together. The fletchet stuck out of the front of the round. The nylon engaged the rifling, which cut it so the sabot would separate after leaving the barrel(I'm sure you know how that works). I worked on the inspection of these segments. But they also made a full projectile that had a DU tip... it would penetrate the tank and then just rattle around inside. This was back in the mid 80's.

I ran the gage lab at an ordnance plant... there was a lot of experimental stuff so I guess the experimental 50 cal is not surprising. One project we had go through was a cartridge case (105mm I believe) that was intended for an nuclear projectile. We made the Stinger tubes, MLRS motor body and warhead skin, 155mm projectiles(HE, mine layer and grenade disperser), 120mm Nato, 40mm, ... you name it, we made it.

Sort of like this one: