Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Content Rules

Administrator

Content Rules

CONTENT RULES

These forums are here to provide members with a place to discuss matters relating to firearms, including their experiences with various products, the posting of questions and answers, and personal opinions on gun-related topics. There are forums for general firearm topics, personal defense and hunting. In addition, there is a forum dedicated to politics and Clubhouse, which is open for all subjects. Members should place their posts in the appropriate thread and forum.

A lively discussion is welcome here but there are a few rules we ask members to follow.

Spam will not be tolerated. Forum members are allowed to personally endorse products but only if you are not associated with the product or its manufacturer in any way. People in the industry are invited to join in the discussions and to become members but are not allowed to hype their company’s products.

Keep it clean. These forums are open to everyone and are here to promote the shooting sports and the responsibilities of gun ownership. By everyone, we mean the whole family including women and children. If you would not say something in front of a 12 year old or their mom or grandmother, then don't say it here. Please avoid trying to override the profanity filter with clever abbreviations.

Second Amendment forum. This forum is for the discussion of firearms legislation and regulation. Any political comments must relate to the main subject of the forum. Other political comments posted in ANY of the forums will be deleted.

Religion. This is not the place to preach or to try to convert someone to your church or religion. You can say what you believe but please do not try to start a debate comparing one religion to another.

Illegal activity. It goes without saying that members of this forum should be aware of federal gun laws and those in their state and local jurisdiction. Make sure that all of your comments and suggestions fall within the law. Posts that encourage violation of gun or hunting regulations could get us all in serious trouble.

Trolling and flaming. If you come to our forums to start fights, insult people, gore sacred cows and in general, start trouble, expect to be banned. We enjoy lively and spirited discussion but Trolls are the lowest form of online life and will be dealt with in short order.

Re: Content Rules

Sounds good to me.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

Outstading and simple enough.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

So more or less business as usual, pasted right on the front page. Sounds good to me!
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C

Administrator

We will be finding a permanent place for this information to live in the NAV bar soon, for now, we figured this would suffice.

Good deal. Same old, same old. Keep up the good work.

In the past, folks from different companies were allowed to post if they bought advertising. While Mr. Lazzeroni added a comical debate, there were others that chimed in from time to time. I miss that, nothing better than a company answering a question right here in our house..... just a few thoughts...
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post
    I'm in love with a Glock

If you posted this on the data base error page more people would see it.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.

Quote Originally Posted by SirGeorgeKillian View Post
    In the past, folks from different companies were allowed to post if they bought advertising. While Mr. Lazzeroni added a comical debate, there were others that chimed in from time to time. I miss that, nothing better than a company answering a question right here in our house..... just a few thoughts...
    Jon Lazzeroni became a member and Dan encouraged it because the man had a wealth of knowledge about ballistics, reloading, firearm engineering/manufacturing etc. When it became apparent that he was also pushing his rifles and proprietary cartridges he was asked to either stop or buy advertisement which he did. It was a one of a kind deal and I don't know that this is/was policy or just a solution to a specific case, maybe Ben and Jerry can address that. In any case, that relationship went south when he was challenged by members on a few claims he made and he did not like the responses he got to his arguments. Let's just leave it at that.

Industry folks have always been allowed to join, post and engage in general firearms related discussions as long as they have knowledge to share and are not actively selling their wares in the threads. Thay have always been allowed to join and address issues that come up with their products (like the boot guys did a few weeks back). BUT that means no selling like (NOT limited too) posting of links to their sites, mentions of where you buy their products or even mentioning companies that sell them etc. We've also never allowed links that drive traffic away from our site like blogs, other forums (unless a thread in the other forum is helpful to the discussion at hand and you only post the thread not the general Forum web address) personal web pages etc. Those pages usually have sponsored links in them (indirect advertisements). Those have always been the rules. It's simple, if it smell like advertisement it is, and it will be deleted. If someone wants to have a discussion about it AFTER the deletion, that's Ok.

One last thing, if someone is asking members to bring up the subjet of their product just so they can engage in discussion about it to get free adverstisement out of it, and the member plays along, it will not go well for either party.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

No Problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Buford View Post
    I almost, but not quite, hate to say it......that there's the funniest thing I've read here in ages....

Mike

One last thing, if someone is asking members to bring up the subjet of their product just so they can engage in discussion about it to get free advertisement out of it, and the member plays along, it will not go well for either party.[/QUOTE]

Like the Mueller scope guy? Want a jerk.

Quote Originally Posted by tjsvet50 View Post
    One last thing, if someone is asking members to bring up the subjet of their product just so they can engage in discussion about it to get free advertisement out of it, and the member plays along, it will not go well for either party.
    Like the Mueller scope guy? Want a jerk.[/QUOTE]

Actually that was a funny one. That was the actual owner of the company SPAMING us, playing at being a customer ('cause NO ONE has EVER heard of THAT scam). He got caught in a bunch of forums doing that. What a way to make an entrance into the market. Probably set his company back 10 years. According to EB he's got a decent product but I can't bring myself to give him my money...

Quote Originally Posted by Linefinder View Post
    I almost, but not quite, hate to say it......that there's the funniest thing I've read here in ages....

Mike
    +1
    You both owe me a new keyboard.......

Nice to see the rules formally put up, especially for anyone thats intending to join up. ( Hope it doesnt deter the mall ninja's, its good to play with them every now and then)
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....

Senior Member Slanteyedshootist's Avatar

I have read and understand the rules. Very sensible. I do have one question. I am okay with not goring sacred cows but are we allowed to tip them? After all, cow tipping is a national sport, right?

Quote Originally Posted by conchokid View Post
    CONTENT RULES

Spam will not be tolerated. Forum members are allowed to personally endorse products but only if you are not associated with the product or its manufacturer in any way. People in the industry are invited to join in the discussions and to become members but are not allowed to hype their company’s products.
    So, bobrien can't promote the blog anymore?

It should be a rule that the administrators have to keep their post count up, 30 posts since October is pretty sluggish conchokid, hop in and stir the pot.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11

Basically a rehash of existing rules that have been sliding, esp in the profanity and disguise of it area.

It is good that the new Boss came online and put his foot down.

But, flaming cpj should be a rite of passage.
    Go Cowboys go

One last thing, if someone is asking members to bring up the subject of their product just so they can engage in discussion about it to get free adverstisement out of it, and the member plays along, it will not go well for either party.
    I completely agree on that point, but how about some of our members that do have business dealings? For example, Caleb has a gunsmithing business. We have watched that entire operation evolve from when it was just an idea even before he went to school. Then there is NYgun's 45 Cowboy Special that he has shared with the forum since it was an idea. Lastly, Sam and Dan are both authors-- we have been able to watch the evolution from draft to publishing.

I haven't really felt that any of these guys have been spamming, and I look forward to seeing how their ventures unfold. Anyway, I am just looking for clarity on this issue. I am sure that there is a line to walk with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jermanator View Post
    I completely agree on that point, but how about some of our members that do have business dealings? For example, Caleb has a gunsmithing business. We have watched that entire operation evolve from when it was just an idea even before he went to school. Then there is NYgun's 45 Cowboy Special that he has shared with the forum since it was an idea. Lastly, Sam and Dan are both authors-- we have been able to watch the evolution from draft to publishing.

I haven't really felt that any of these guys have been spamming, and I look forward to seeing how their ventures unfold. Anyway, I am just looking for clarity on this issue. I am sure that there is a line to walk with that.
    Unfurtunately just about everyone in here would benefit from mentioning some aspect of their lives on the forum and that is a very slippery slope. There is a fine line between showing your accomplishments and peddling goods. Most members with products and businesses know where to draw the line even though trying to set a firm line on this is diffcult at best but to paraphrase that famouse judge's quote (who's name I forget at the moment) , I can't define SPAM but I know it when I see it. So the net of this is that it is up to the mods and admin to make those calls. When we feel the line is crossed threads will go away swiftly.

From a personal perpective I see no problem with someone that had some great work done by Caleb to come in here and show us the results, same as any other toy from any other great Gunsmith out there. Now if the Gunsmith (and Caleb would NEVER do that) asked a member to specifically showcase his work and give out his phone number or website on the thread that's SPAM. So are any kinds of advertisement showing businesses, links, emails, phones or mentioning where to buy your products, etc. BUT if you got a great deal or great service form someone that you are are not financially associated with (let's say a great deal on 9mm ammo at Midway USA) and you want to share the information for the members benefit, that has always been Ok. We also do not allow announcements on charities, events for organizations etc. BUT we will allow a member to say he's going to a gun show if he's looking for folks to join him there. See the trend?

The biggest problems as I see them is when I see a post on the same product every 2 days, or a constant reminder on how to aquire something, or a never ending session of threads on one product regardless of who's business it is. If that happens or if we get members complaining about it, then it has to go.

I think what is being emphasized is if Caleb (For example) built you a rifle, and you get and describe all of it components and who built it-Great!
    If someone is asking about possible gunsmiths and your bring up his name, because you have used him or have a good friend or a forum member who was pleased with his work, by all means recommend him.
    I like it when someone asks Sam or Dan about their projects, and they respond.
    I think our moderators will be able to draw the line if someone is pushing/advertising their own product.
    It is one of the reasons, why I don't have a pic of one of the rests in my profile picture. It is the only front rests I use, but I also sell them.
    But if someone is asking about what front rests you use or like, will I post? Yes.
    Or if I have a gun set up for bench use, I may have a pic or vid that will have one of the rests on there, because that is what I use.
    If the rules are otherwise, then this is a good place for them to be explained better.
    I believe the majority here wants to stay within the guidelines given.
    I would like to see more involvement from our administrator.
    Jump and get your hands dirty-Let us get to know you.
    Last edited by Ernie Bishop; 02-02-2012 at 05:17 PM.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Bishop View Post
    I would like to more involvement from our administrator.
    Jump and get your hands dirty-Let us get to know you.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C

Yeah well, ........................ you need a tougher sounding screen name

The Cisco Kid was a friend of mine
    The Cisco Kid was a friend of mine
    He drink whiskey, Poncho drink the wine
    He drink whiskey, Poncho drink the wine

We met down on the fort of Rio Grande
    We met down on the fort of Rio Grande
    Eat the salted peanuts out of can
    Eat the salted peanuts out the can

The outlaws had us pinned down at the fort
    The outlaws had us pinned down at the fort
    Cisco came in blastin', drinkin' port
    Cisco came in blastin', drinkin' port

They rode the sunset, horse was made of steel
    They rode the sunset, horse was made of steel
    Chased a gringo last night through a field
    Chased a gringo last night through a field
    Last edited by Big Chief; 02-02-2012 at 05:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buford View Post

Thanks big guy, I now have diet Pepsi in my SINUSES!
    I'm in love with a Glock

I went to see a Cisco Kid and Poncho live show when I was 11.
    Go Cowboys go

Thanks Mods!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A little reminder now and then ain't gonna hurt nothing.
    "It is what it is"

Quote Originally Posted by NN View Post

But, flaming cpj should be a rite of passage.
    As long as we can still do that, I'm good with everything else.

How hard would it be to make an invitation to a few industry insiders? I remember Mas showed up here once, and a handfull of others....
    I'm in love with a Glock

Quote Originally Posted by NN View Post
    I went to see a Cisco Kid and Poncho live show when I was 11.
    A little before my time, I reckon Old Timer

The Cisco Kid - TV Series 1950–1956

The Cisco Kid and his English-mangling sidekick Pancho travel the old west righting wrongs and fighting injustice...
    Starring: Duncan Renaldo, Leo Carrillo.

How about letting pictures in the signature line?