Thread: Reloading Scale...Which Brand To Buy??

Reloading Scale...Which Brand To Buy??

Looking at buying either the RCBS 502,505, or possibly the Dillon Eliminator balance powder scale. Anyone have good experience with any of these? Replacing my Lee scale which is way to sensitive and will not hold zero(atleast mine will not)

Can get any of these scales online it looks like for under $90

Re: Reloading Scale...Which Brand To Buy??

Save your pennies and buy a ChargeMaster...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

I have had the 502 for years and no complaints but may change over to electronic scale soon.

I have a 502 also. If you are just doing general reloading it will serve well for years. I don't do anything like benchrest or real extreme accuracy stuff. Mostly reload .45 ACP, 44Mag, & a few .223's. I use mine mainly to set the powder measure, then I check every 25 or so throws.

Like anything else, mainly depends on your intended use and how much you want to spend. I don't have a need for anything fancier, but my reloading is pretty limited and simple.
    RV,
    Harry
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." - Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawker View Post
    Save your pennies and buy a ChargeMaster...
    it'll be a while before I can upgrade to something like that. Just need a good repeatable scale for reloading and just find Lee too complicated and sensitive. takes FOREVER

It appears Dillon Eliminator and RCBS 5-0-5 are basically the same just different color based on online info and searching?

I have the RCBS 502 or 505, can't remember which now. It's in my supply cabinet. I need the powder pan which was lost while my son had my stuff. It was a great scale. But I now use a chargemaster that includes the powder measure and scale. It's the only way to fly, once you get the money together to buy one. They're not cheap, but worth every penny.

However, if you can save up and buy a chargemaster you are in the 21st Century. It's light years ahead as far as regular reloading goes. The only problem is that if you shoot a lot at one time it's a bit slower, IF you have a really good powder measure and a powder that will drop evenly. But that's for people that shoot stuff like prarie dogs and load up 500-600 rounds at a time. However if you use a course powder and have to trickle powder to top off a load or for loading 50-100 rounds, then the Chargemaster is the ticket.
    Last edited by snake284; 02-04-2012 at 05:22 AM.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

I use a Lyman Pro 500 Standard Beam Scale $56.99. Love it!
    I also use a Lyman #55 Powder Measure $82.99. That is much faster to load brass!

I have an older Dillon Eliminator and it works great.

The digital scales work just fine and have some advantages such as not needing to dump the powder back into the reservoir after each weigh. Just press "Zero" and weigh another charge.

Faster also.
    That's all I got.

Paul

I have an RCBS 505, it's been with me for 30 years. I do not use it anymore after getting my Chargemaster 5 years ago now. I checked some prices at MidwayUSA and the 505 is $70 some dollars. They also have the Hornady Lock-N-Load electronic scale for $80 some dollars. I think you might want to consider that one.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/340...c-powder-scale

Quote Originally Posted by Pegasus View Post
    I have an RCBS 505, it's been with me for 30 years. I do not use it anymore after getting my Chargemaster 5 years ago now. I checked some prices at MidwayUSA and the 505 is $70 some dollars. They also have the Hornady Lock-N-Load electronic scale for $80 some dollars. I think you might want to consider that one.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/340...c-powder-scale

I am assuming the Hornady is way better than the Frankford Arsenal digi scale I have that one but it seems to be varying by 0.1-0.2 grains.does not hold zero long for me but it is convenient. When Lee scale weighs "45.5gr" the digi scale I have says 45.6gr so not sure which is correct
    Last edited by browninghunter86; 02-04-2012 at 02:26 PM.

Believe it or not, it's not important which one is right. What is important is that the scale be consistent. I would trust the Hornady more readily than the Frankford Arsenal one.

Believe it or not, it's not important which one is right. What is important is that the scale be consistent. I would trust the Hornady more readily than the Frankford Arsenal one.

so you think maybe the hornady one would be better than the RCBS 505 or Dillon Eliminator? Don't you have to let the digi scales with ac pugs warm up to be consistant? Maybe my Frankford scale batteries are low as it is saying different weight for powder pan almost every other time I put it on. Usually will stay the same for the entire time

Balance scales are pretty much all the same, except for the hellish Lee balance scale. They're very accurate in measurements as large as a grain. Which in the world of measuring is pretty large. I personally think they're more accurate than an electronic scale, because you can remove the variable of interpolation, but I have a Charge Master and trust that as well. I use my balance scale to check my electronic, or to set my powder measure for small batches of small drops of easily metered powder.

Were I weighing gold, I'd get something even more accurate, but for powder, .2 grain, + or -, is fine.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

For a Beam Balance scale, Hornady/RCBS/Redding....................or a Lee fer less $$$, which work , but not as user friendly or as sturdy.

Quote Originally Posted by browninghunter86 View Post
    A constant source of power is normally better than relying on a battery...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

with say an RCBS 750 or the Hornady scale or any one that plugs in the wall how long do you have to let the scale "warm up"?

From a TEOTWAWKI perspective, a balance beam scale is something we should all have tucked away. I hear that zombies really like to snack on electrical power plant workers.

The Dillon's got a magnetic damper which should cut down on the time consuming "seesaw" effect. I'd be inclined to buy their's on general principle. Everything I've ever used from them is extremely solid. Pops has an ancient. . .Hornady, I think that did the job for us before we went electronic. Any of the balance beam rigs will work for you, they're just a little slow.

Dillon's electronic D-Terminator is a great piece of gear that fills the price gap between the balance beams and the units with automatic dispensers attached. We've had one of these for probably over 15 years, and it still runs great.

But yeah. . .you need a Chargemaster.
    WWJMBD?

Ok, so .277 is the number of The Beast. This makes The Beast. . .what. . .a chihuahua?

This thread got me thinking about my scales so I had to dig them out and compare them. I have an RCBS beam scale that I bought used in 1977 when I started reloading. There's no model # on it but it was made by Ohaus and it's comperable to the 505. About five years ago I bought a Lyman 1500 digital and I'm perfectly happy with it. The Lyman came with a check weight that's stamped at 20g. and it weighed 308.7gr on both of my scales. That made me kinda happy. I would say any name brand scale will serve you well and a scale is not something to scrimp on. An inaccurate or inconsistent scale can create a dangerous situation. I bought the Lyman because it was on sale at a pretty big savings but I'm sure any other mainstream namebrand digital would perform as well. The odds are good that many of the available scales are manufactured by the same few companies and just badged and designed differently.
    As for a warmup, I've never even used the A/C adapter on my Lyman as the batteries last at least a year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffco View Post
    I would drop trou too, and because I am a caring person I would've given that young man a hug.

My electronic Dillon died after battery change. It's in for repair. I reverted to using my Dillon balance scales which are very accurate. I don' know why your scale will not hold "zero". Mine are sensitive to air breezes.
    http://www.dillonprecision.com/conte...or__039__Scale

Yours In Liberty
    Bob, NRA Lifer
    Sent from my iGlock using Tapatalk
    Yours In Liberty,
    Bob
    Glock 27 NRA Life

Seein that RCBS has only 1 yr warranty? Doesn't seem very good

ended up getting the RCBS 505

I switched from the Lee to the cheapest RCBS and it was like night and day.

Quote Originally Posted by bisley View Post
    I switched from the Lee to the cheapest RCBS and it was like night and day.
    That's pretty much standard with any Lee product.

That's pretty much standard with any Lee product.
    Their dies and presses are serviceable for most folks. I have no complaints on any of the Lee products I've used. The scale, though really a piece of crap when compared to almost any other, is pretty much just a disposable item that allows a beginner to get started and find out what he really needs.

Of course, that's merely the opinion of a casual shooter who still has a small amount of humility.

Well. I'll have you know that MY humility is second to none.

So there. :smile:

Banned

Most important thing is to get a good set of check weights , and check the calibration often. I have an early PACT , one of the first digital scales sold expressly for reloaders. Probably 20yrs old. Still works great.

Just be sure to turn your ceiling fan off! Thought mine was going haywire one time. Kept going +/- .01 , but it was just the breeze from the ceiling fan!