Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New DPMS Sportical range report update; 300 and 400 yards

New DPMS Sportical range report update; 300 and 400 yards

We had another nice day for February 2 (2 days ago) and I tested a load that performed well on paper @ 100 yards on my two long range steel plates. I have a 12" round steel plate hanging at 400 yards and a 9" square plate hanging at 300 yards up the lane from my house. When I shoot these plates, I cannot roll the bench far enough down the driveway to see them. So I built a small shooting platform that sets in the back of my truck. From it, I can either use a front rest or my Harris bipod with a rear bag.

I took a chance using the first mil dot down for the 300 yard target and the second one down to center the 400 yard plate. Previously, I'd only shot paper at 100 yards with this load and adjusted the scope to be about 2 inches high at 100. I am very pleased with how close those two mil dots matched up with the 300 and 400 yard points of impact for the tested load. Some days things just work out better than others. I think I have my coyote load with no load development work at all, so far!

The load is WW-748, 25 grains behind a 69 gr. Sierra MKHP match bullet and Remington 7 1/2 bench rest primers. I believe this little "black rifle" shoots better than I could have expected. My buddy is the original owner and is a gunsmith who did an excellent trigger job on it, which helps a lot. It's a consistent 3 1/2# on my RCBS gauge, with no creep. That's appropriate weight for a coyote/house gun (IMHO).

Last edited by shooter; 02-04-2012 at 06:13 PM.
    There's no such thing as having too much ammo, unless you're on fire or trying to swim!

Re: New DPMS Sportical range report update; 300 and 400 yards

Looking very good there. I really dig that truck setup.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

Mighty fine shootin, especially from a semi-auto AR type rifle.

FWIW that 400 yard group translates to .625 MOA... I'd take that all day long.

D
    I'm an east block weapons kinda guy... AK's SKS, Makarov's Tokarevs ... and American guns too.
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings?

Quote Originally Posted by Six-Gun View Post
    Looking very good there. I really dig that truck setup.
    A truck makes for a very stable, portable shooting platform. In the summer when leaves are on those trees, I just back the truck up a little more to see the long range targets.
    There's no such thing as having too much ammo, unless you're on fire or trying to swim!

Is that the 16" pencil barrel with 1 turn in 9", no brass deflector or forward assist? If so, it's the one I just bought from Midway.

Dan
    Last edited by DanChamberlain; 02-04-2012 at 08:39 PM.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain

Quote Originally Posted by BigDanS View Post
    FWIW that 400 yard group translates to .625 MOA... I'd take that all day long.

D
    Yes, it's definitely a "keeper". I'll find out how "repeatable" it is when the weather improves a little. It's raining and cold today, so no shots are being fired. February in Illinois is not too shooter friendly, most of the time!

Quote Originally Posted by DanChamberlain View Post
    Is that the 16" pencil barrel with 1 turn in 9", no brass deflector or forward assist?

Dan
    Yes, it is. That's what surprised me. It's the 16" barrel with no forward assist or brass deflector. I've only had it for a few days and it's matching the performance of my Colt HBAR, which I've had since the pre-Clinton AWB. I'm not going to confer "target level" accuracy on it after two groups with it at long range. But the 2 groups I fired, 3 shots @ 300 and 3 shots @ 400 the other day look very promising.

When the weather improves and I can print some 300 and 400 yard groups on paper, I'll have a better idea of whether these two groups were "lucky" or representative of the rifle and these loads. A sample size of "two" does not make for a very high confidence level. But it does put a smile on my face!
    Last edited by shooter; 02-04-2012 at 08:45 PM. Reason: typo

That's sort of cool. I have a 24 inch Bull barrel an inch thick that shoots very well, but it makes the AR weigh 11 pounds! If mine shoots the heavies as well as yours does, I'm selling the bull barrel upper!

Dan
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain

I hope this is not construed as spam or a sales ploy, but since you show an interest, that very upper is on sale at Midway this month.

DISCLAIMER.......... I have nothing to do with Midway..... they need no help.

Joe

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/416...-hider-pre-ban

shooter good shooting !!!
    bwb

Yes, mine was $373 shipped to the door. This includes bolt, carrier group and charging handle. Pretty good price.

That's an outstanding group!

Backwater Bob & Ken55, thanks for the positive comments. I'm really pleased with the performance of this little thing so far. Really looking forward to working with it some more when the weather improves.

And Dan, I hope yours is every bit as good as mine appears to be. Only time will tell.

Joe

Excellent shooting.
    Will take close to 1/2 minute at 400 yards all day long
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"

What scope do you have on that puppy?

I don't care how many play on words CPJ makes, I love my Sportical.
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Quote Originally Posted by cpj View Post

There no mangos like Dans mangos.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Bishop View Post
    Excellent shooting.
    Will take close to 1/2 minute at 400 yards all day long
    Yeah, but you get it from specialty pistols! Of course, this rifle barrel is only 16" long.

But it's still a rifle, and I get to put my shoulder into it.

Good shooting is good shooting, regardless of the platform
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"

Quote Originally Posted by Big Chief View Post
    I'm almost embarrassed to tell you, but it's the only one I had on hand when the gun came to me a few days ago that was over 9 power. It's one of those Wal-Mart Nikko-Sterling 4-12x 50 scopes that sell for less than $100. It was one of the only scopes I had in inventory when this rifle came to me last week. It has an illuminated reticle and an adjustable objective bell and may not hold zero until this summer. But for now, It serves the purpose of trying out my new toy.

I've had friends kid me about having NightForce scopes on some rifles and Simmons & Tasco on others. I've got room for lots of brands in my household.

Joe

Nice work!

nice shooting
    When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. It is only difficult for others.

It is the same when you are STUPID.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Chief View Post
    I apologize for an error that I made regarding the optics on this rifle. I have a few "cheapie" scopes with lighted reticles that Wally-World sells in a blister pack for under $100. But they are Center-Point and not Nikko-Sterling. This Sportical has a Nikko-Sterling 4x-12x with 50 mm., adjustable objective and a lighted mil-dot reticle. I cannot find the exact model @ Midway, but a 4x-12x by 42mm is approx. $180.

The Nikko-Stirling on my rifle was purchased at a LGS a few years ago for slightly under $200. The exact model is:

4-12 x 50 AO IR MD
    MOUNTMASTER SIDE IR

Sorry for any confusion. It's in a totally different class of scope than the Wally-World, blister pack, sub-$100 number.

Joe

edited to add: In the interest of accuracy and to be fair to Nikko-Sterling I felt compelled to add this.
    Last edited by shooter; 02-06-2012 at 03:31 PM. Reason: add comment

Good-looking platform on the truck! Now all you need to do is borrow Linefinder's bucket!

A rig like that would get me arrested in Tennessee, though. I asked the local Possum Police about setting up a varmint bench in the back of my truck for shooting groundhogs, and they told me the bench would have to be removed from the truck to make it legal.
    Jerry
    Caedit eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.
    Arnaud Amalric 1209 AD

Very nice shooting on your part, AR's keep on amazing me, affordable, simple, reliable and ACCURATE to boot, by the way, I see you have your own shooting range right there next to your home, that deserves a big "you suck".

I have a Sportical, I love that gun. I keep it stock with the exception of a Redfield 3-9 and a Burris P.E.P.R. With 50gr V-max on top of 25gr of Ramshot TAC I can cover 3 with a dime at 100. These things can shoot right out of the box!

Quote Originally Posted by Teach View Post
    Good-looking platform on the truck! Now all you need to do is borrow Linefinder's bucket!

A rig like that would get me arrested in Tennessee, though. I asked the local Possum Police about setting up a varmint bench in the back of my truck for shooting groundhogs, and they told me the bench would have to be removed from the truck to make it legal.
    Jerry
    I only use that "removable platform" when the truck is in my driveway. I think it might be legal if I transported it to somebody else's private property as well; not sure. I thought I once read that "Tennessee was the patron 'state' of shootin stuff", Bob Lee Swagger, from the movie "Shooter".

Quote Originally Posted by prozium451 View Post
    I have a Sportical, I love that gun. I keep it stock with the exception of a Redfield 3-9 and a Burris P.E.P.R. With 50gr V-max on top of 25gr of Ramshot TAC I can cover 3 with a dime at 100. These things can shoot right out of the box!
    Let me take this opportunity to welcome you to the forum. I just realized this was your second post.

Joe

Nice shooting. I'll settle for that at 200 yards plus with my DPMS 20" bull barrel.

Thanks shooter! I'm not technically new, I just haven't been on in a while. I went to log in and my name didn't work so I made a new account with the same name. I assume since the old guy's post count is low there has been a reset.