Thread: Brand New k98 Mausers

Brand New k98 Mausers

I know Mitchells has a "checkered" reputation but that aside, did we discuss their new production of k98's? (Search returned nothing.)

CNC produced from Serbia IIRC.

MSRP is about $100 less than "surplus".

Also scuttlebut about the possibility of sporters following.

Just read about it in an NRA produced publication.
    That's all I got.

Paul

Re: Brand New k98 Mausers

Given their previous reputation for selling fakes and forgeries, I wouldn't trust Mitchell's in the outhouse with a muzzle on! They just about singlehandedly ruined the collectible Mauser market. There's a big business going on now in fake waffenampt (proof mark) tool production to restamp phony parts with authentic looking marks.
    Jerry
    "We have met the enemy, and he is us!" Pogo

I'm hoping for that rifle - in military trim - chambered in military calibers other than 8x57. .308 would be a total no-brainer these days, as it's the "used everywhere, by everyone" round. Seeing as the Israeli versions available today are usually not too well cared for, new would have some appeal.

And yes, 98 sporters without clip guides, thumb-cutouts, and crack-smoker price tags would be grand. Hell, bare actions would be grand. I don't know that I strictly NEED a 9.3x62, but "NEED" is such a strong word. . .
    WWJMBD?

Ok, so .277 is the number of The Beast. This makes The Beast. . .what. . .a chihuahua?

PFD did a search and this is what I was able to find "M-63 Mauser "Tanker" Rifle"
    http://www.mauser.net/firearms/rifle...nker/index.htm

Jerry, all good points I know . . . I know . . . I know. But when they blatantly come out & say "These are new production" then it's hard to call them fakes.

But that aside, I wonder how they shake out as rifles?
    That's all I got.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by rberglof View Post
    PFD did a search and this is what I was able to find "M-63 Mauser "Tanker" Rifle"
    http://www.mauser.net/firearms/rifle...nker/index.htm
    Thanks! I did a search of this forum to make sure I wasn't re-hashing old news. There is a pretty good write up in American Rifleman but it's good to get some un-biased, knowledgeable input.
    That's all I got.

Paul

It will all shake out as to how well they're finished and fitted. Didn't Remington try to merchandise some 98 clones that were notorious for sloppy machining awhile back? I'll bet Mitchell is using the same suppliers, and the quality control would need to kick things up several notches to make me sit up and take notice. Currently, I'm hand-fitting bolts to a couple of Parker-hale unfinished receivers, and the end product will be a whole lot more precisely clearanced than any of the milsurp Mausers I've worked with. I'd hate to try to recoup my labor costs, but since I'll never be able to sell an un-serialized receiver, that's really sort of a moot point anyway. The P-H receivers were investment cast with a magazine box opening almost long enough to accept an H&H magnum cartridge length, so I'll have to stretch out the dimensions of a standard K-98 milsurp mag box by about 1/4" while maintaining the original attaching screw spacing. That involves some tricky metal fitting and welding, but it's not terribly difficult, just tedious.
    Jerry
    Last edited by Teach; 02-08-2012 at 06:04 AM.
    "We have met the enemy, and he is us!" Pogo

Quote Originally Posted by Teach View Post
    It will all shake out as to how well they're finished and fitted. Didn't Remington try to merchandise some 98 clones that were notorious for sloppy machining awhile back? I'll bet Mitchell is using the same suppliers, and the quality control would need to kick things up several notches to make me sit up and take notice.
    Jerry
    That's interesting. Probably something to it. Hmmmmmm.

I guess the new ones, if they're any good, would fit into the same category as my CIA marked Garand. Not much collector value but fun to shoot.

If the basic actions alone are any good and they could go to market as BigSlug suggested for a reasonable price, that could be interesting.

I think Mitchells even mentioned a couple of different action lengths.

But since Mitchells bread-and-butter is selling Mausers, that may be down the road a bit.
    That's all I got.

Paul

The only factory advertizing military-style Mausers in the '98 action as brand new (At least in their e-catalog) is Zastava Arms of Serbia:

http://www.zastava-arms.rs/

Posted as a "Sporting rifle" is the M-48/63 model, and seems to be the only worldwide manufacturer of these particular rifles if so.

Mitchell Mausers are famous even over here. No collector or even history buff shooter will even think to get one from them.

Nothing wrong with the 8mm round. It's an outstanding cartridge. As for new made Mausers, I'm certain they're outsourced, probably from Zastava in Serbia, as Antonio pointed out.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

Quote Originally Posted by Teach View Post
    It will all shake out as to how well they're finished and fitted. Didn't Remington try to merchandise some 98 clones that were notorious for sloppy machining awhile back? I'll bet Mitchell is using the same suppliers, and the quality control would need to kick things up several notches to make me sit up and take notice.
    Jerry
    Charles Daily was importing them first, then Remington bought out the rights and added $150-$200 to the price tag....... Don't see how they could go wrong there.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson

The article lists the manufacturer as Prva Petroletka, Trstenik, Serbia.

Says they have a background in producing precision aircraft parts and armor components for Humvees.
    That's all I got.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by PFD View Post
    The article lists the manufacturer as Prva Petroletka, Trstenik, Serbia.

Says they have a background in producing precision aircraft parts and armor components for Humvees.
    Thats a holding company, their factories manufacture anything from cars to needle-pins and then some