Thread: 7mm-08 reloading

7mm-08 reloading

Hi there, I have a question for you shooters of the 7mm-08. I have been reloading this round for about 1 1/2 years. My bullet of choice is the Nosler 140gr Partition, or accubond. My question is what type of powder are you using on your reloads, and how do they preform? I have used IMR 3031, H4198, BLC-2, and my best results have been with the Winchester 760. What do you use, and how does it preform for you? My silhouette shooting is at about 5500 ft, and hunting is up to 12,000ft. and during hunting it can be anywhere from 70 degrees to 40 below. Thanks for your input.

Re: 7mm-08 reloading

So far I have only used H4895 and Varget on my 7mm-08 with good results using 120gr Nosler BT and 130gr Speer BTSP. Average 5-shot groups had been between 0.8"-1.2" @100yds without much fine tuning. I've found a couple of combinations that produced really tiny groups but not consistently(partly because of the nut behind the trigger).
    I've also used H4350 on the 130gr Speer with ok results. This year I would like to try it again (H4350) but this time using Nosler 140gr Accubonds.

I think the powders you've listed are a tad fast for the 7mm-08 case with the exception of the W760 which falls between Varget and H4350. Moreover, I would suggest you try H4350 since it being an "Extreme" powder, it should not be sensitive to temperature changes.

Good Luck and Welcome to the forum

35RMB

I used H-4895 with both 120's and 140's
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"

I've only tried Varget so far. However, with 120gr Sierra GK's and no load development/tweaking whatsoever they did sub MOA out of my Remington 700 right off the bat:

- I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C

760 ball works best for me, too.

Varget under a 139 grain SST
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

I've been using Ramshot Big Game under a 140gr. Barnes TTSX. I don't why I bothered shooting 5 shots, but that powder got me to .66" @ 100 yards with that many rounds fired out of a Savage Model 16 Weather Warrior.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawker View Post
    Varget under a 139 grain SST
    Thats what I use.
    That don't confront me, as long as I get my money by next Friday.

Varget (Its called AR2208 over here) under a 140gr Sierra.
    When I was doing load developement for my T3 lite in 7mm08 this is what the best load shot like at 200metres (218yds).......

The first 3 shots are the ones in the centre...I then decided to try for a five shot group and let the next 2 go without waiting for the barrel to cool down, which blew the group out.

That taught me a lesson about shooting with a sporterweight barrel without letting the barrel cool down.......Duh!!!!

I also use the same powder in my 222 and 22-250 with similar results.

( My rifles seem to like loads towards the upper end of the loading tables..near what the Varget tables show as max loads)
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....

I've used Varget under 120gr TTSX, 120gr NBT, 139gr SST's and 140gr NBT. They all shot very well with 120gr TTSX grouping best at 3060fps out of 24" barrel.

I have also shot the same bullets and powder out of my 7-08 pistol (15"). 120 NBT and 139SST set .002" off the lands both shot just under 1" at 100 yds with it.

Will be trying magnum primers in the near future to see if they tighten things up anymore since I read it could and is safe on here.

I'd also like to try H4350 and Ramshot Big Game but havent talked myself into buying them just yet since varget shoots so well.

Wow thank you all for your input, if anyone else has something to add please do. Here's one more for you, I have a Ruger Sr556 with a 16" barrel, that i shoot a 62gr. FMJ with H335, and i get good results from it, but with my Remington 223 VTR with a 22" barrel that load doesn't work well. I have been using Hornady 55gr. vmax which i know is a very accurate bullet, but i am not getting the results I want out of this load. Where am I going wrong?? And while I have you here What type of primer are you using on your 50BMG, I have had 3 fail on me the last 50 I loaded. Thanks

Josh,
    FWIW-I never shoot magnum primers in any of my specialty handguns, even up to 76 grains of powder.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshAaron91685 View Post
    I've used Varget under 120gr TTSX, 120gr NBT, 139gr SST's and 140gr NBT. They all shot very well with 120gr TTSX grouping best at 3060fps out of 24" barrel.

I have also shot the same bullets and powder out of my 7-08 pistol (15"). 120 NBT and 139SST set .002" off the lands both shot just under 1" at 100 yds with it.

Will be trying magnum primers in the near future to see if they tighten things up anymore since I read it could and is safe on here.

I'd also like to try H4350 and Ramshot Big Game but havent talked myself into buying them just yet since varget shoots so well.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"

Ernie,

I dont think my pistol could gain much if anything in the way of accuracy by switching to magnum primers because its limiting factor is the man behind it.

The rifle on the other hand...I'm gonna see if it makes a difference.