Thread: Nikon ProStaff vs Redfield Revolution?

Nikon ProStaff vs Redfield Revolution?

Time to glass up the 30-06 from my other recent post. This is a light-ish gun, and I don't need the Hubble mounted on top. Looking at 2-7x32's and these two choices are the same price. Can anyone dive into some details about them? MIGHT step up to the Monarch 2-8x32, but not sure yet. As always, I don't like Leopuld glass, their lens coating looks washy and grey to MY eyes. Yes, I know, the Redfield is made by them, but it must be a different coating because it looks different in MY eyes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.

Re: Nikon ProStaff vs Redfield Revolution?

If you want to step up without breaking the bank try the Buckmaster. I am thinking of buying their 4.5-14x40 for my present project, the Yugo I'm having sportered and left in Original Mil Surp 8x57 Mauser. But I'm also looking at the Redfield 4-12.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Buckmaster is always my go-to scope. However, I suggested a Pro Staff to my friend for his .30-06, and it's pretty nice.

I like what I've seen of the Redfields so far, a 4-12 may go on my 6.5 Grendel.

Ever considered a fixed 4 or 6?

Side note, I'm glad I'm not the only one who things that Leupold optical quality looks funky. "Hazy" is the word I'd use to describe it.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C

SS3 yea, hazy! I KNOW it is good glass, but everyone has different eyes, and to me I just can't justify spending the money when other scopes seem to look better.

I'm really not looking to go above a 7 or 8x max and want something under a 40 on the other end. Anything bigger just doesn't seem to fit the gun. I have considered a fixed 4x, but am finding the options kind of lacking. If anyone has some non-Leo suggestions for a fixed power I'm all ears.
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.

Quote Originally Posted by MileHighShooter View Post
    I'm really not looking to go above a 7 or 8x max and want something under a 40 on the other end. Anything bigger just doesn't seem to fit the gun. I have considered a fixed 4x, but am finding the options kind of lacking. If anyone has some non-Leo suggestions for a fixed power I'm all ears.
    Both the Weaver K4 (4x38) and K6 (6x38) are both in production and MSRP is under $300.

http://www.weaveroptics.com/optics/r...pes/classic_k/
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C

Here's a list of all the fixed power scopes Midwayusa carries
    http://www.midwayusa.com/find?&newca...ensionid=11496
    When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. It is only difficult for others.

It is the same when you are STUPID.

Hmm....one of those Weavers is a scout scope....

I've got a Redfield Revolution 2-7 X 32 on my AR carbine...works well, no complaints....as a matter of fact, I believe I'm going to be getting rid of the 3-9 Nikon BuckMaster on my coyote rig as I am not pleased with the clarity of the optic and will be replacing it with a Redfield..
    Last edited by Jayhawker; 02-09-2012 at 12:08 AM.
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

I have a Redfield Revolution 3-9 on my AR and I love it. I compared it to several others within the price range and the Redfield had noticeably better clarity.

I have only mounted this thing up to my AR, so I don't know if the recoil from a .30-06 will beat it up or not.

Last gunshow everything was overpriced except 1 vendor had Redfields for a steal (I almost wonder if they were). I walked by and he had a stack of 3-9x40 for $175 out the door and I came back maybe 2 hours later and they were all gone ... I was going to put 1 back as a backup, 3-9x40 of the better makes is my favorite general use scope.
    Once is an accident, Twice may be a coincidence ... Three Times is enemy action.

I've got a Nikon 2-7 x on a 12 ga. slug gun that I use for deer. It seems to be a great choice for someone wanting a "small size" scope for a centerfire rig even though it's on the large size for a slug gun. My initial scope choice for a 30-06 deer rifle back in the 1970's was a 2-7x and it served me very well.
    There's no such thing as having too much ammo, unless you're on fire or trying to swim!

If you're patient, you can pick up a good Leupold 2x7 on ebay for $100-150. I think I even saw a 3-9 compact there for a decent price.

Just for variety sake, I may go ahead and get a 4-12 Redfield. I have three Nikons and love em. Like MHS says, everyone's eyes ae different. I have several Leupolds, some cheapies and one real expensive one and they are all clear to me, no haze at all. If the Redfield is as clear as any of those it's plenty good for me.

4-12 is a nice power range for a hunting rifle. I like it. 4 power is great for most applications but you have the higher power you can crank it up to for a longer range shot.

I like every scope I have. I have three Nikons, 5 Leaupolds, a Weaver, and one very old Redfield from the 60s that is still doing its job well. And it's probably as clear as any scope I have. But they are all way clear for a hunting rifle.
    Last edited by snake284; 02-09-2012 at 09:47 PM.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

You know my opinion of the Redfield 3-9x40mm and you've seen the groups I have been able to shoot with it. It handles 30-06 and max loaded muzzleloader recoil with no trouble at all and the clarity is excellent.When I move back to a state where you can use magnifying scopes on inlines, I'll be buying another for my T/C.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

Count me in as a vote for the Redfield.
    I have their 4x12 with the accu-range reticle on my yote gun and it does the job nicely.
    USMC 80-84
    8-11-14 -62lbs

As you know I have pro-staff scopes on several of my rifle and am very happy with them. The most recent being the 2-7x32 I put on the savage 220f. I had looked at the Redfield version as well and and it came down to price because I got the Nikon on a good sale.
    I am actually thinking about a Redfield 4-12 to replace the Pentax on my 7mm WSM. The Pentax is clear but is short on eye relief which on a magnum can give you a headache
    I honestly don't think you can go wrong ether way.

Sako

I just bought a new Burris Fullfield 3x9x40 E1 Illuminated. Should have a range report and comparison on it before the end of the weekend. The Redfields definitely have nice glass too. I havent compared either to a Nikon prostaff yet though.

Luis

Senior Member Slanteyedshootist's Avatar

My vote is for the Redfield. I have a 2X7 on my 336W and it works great. Never tried a Nikon though so I can't compare. Also, the Redfield is manufactured here in Oregon. USA built is always a plus to me.

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    I've got a Nikon 2-7 x on a 12 ga. slug gun that I use for deer. It seems to be a great choice for someone wanting a "small size" scope for a centerfire rig even though it's on the large size for a slug gun. My initial scope choice for a 30-06 deer rifle back in the 1970's was a 2-7x and it served me very well.
    I had a 2.5-7x32 on my old 6mm Rem. Model 700 BDL. It was plenty clear and held zero just fine and on that rifle it helped kill about 10 deer. That was an old EL Paso made Weaver from back in the early 80s before they went under. Back then Weavers were my go to brand of scope. They weren't overly expensive, they were reliable, and they held Zero well. What more did I need?