Thread: S&W 64 K or L frame

S&W 64 K or L frame

I have been reading up on my model 64/.357. everything I read talks about the flat milled forcing cone being
    a characteristic of all K frame 357's. Cracking has occurred at the 6 o'clock position of the forcing cone. MY
    model 64 definitely does not have the flat bottom cone, it appears the same as L & N frame round cones.
    Is it possible some model 64's are L frames. This gun belonged to my Father and was manufactured sometime
    before 1966.

Re: S&W 64 K or L frame

Model 64 is a K-frame. It's also a .38 special. The stainless, fixed sight K-frame .357 was the Model 65, which was introduced in 1974. L-frames were introduced in 1980 or thereabouts. Also, models 64s were introduced in 1970. The first regular production stainless steel revolver (which a model 64 is) was introduced in 1965.
    Unless we each conform, unless we obey orders, unless we follow our leaders blindly, there is no possible way we can remain free. - Maj. Frank Burns

Quote Originally Posted by 104RFAST View Post
    I have been reading up on my model 64/.357. everything I read talks about the flat milled forcing cone being
    a characteristic of all K frame 357's. Cracking has occurred at the 6 o'clock position of the forcing cone. MY
    model 64 definitely does not have the flat bottom cone, it appears the same as L & N frame round cones.
    Is it possible some model 64's are L frames. This gun belonged to my Father and was manufactured sometime
    before 1966.
    No way it's a L frame. They didn't start making them until either the late 70s or early 80s. If it isn't a K frame it has to be an N frame if it's that old. However, If it's an N frame it's going to be pretty big.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

64 is most definitely a K frame. It's the stainless equivalent of the model 10/M&P

You sure it's not a 65 - that being the .357 variant?
    WWJMBD?

Ok, so .277 is the number of The Beast. This makes The Beast. . .what. . .a chihuahua?

Now that I look with a magnifying glass I can definitely see -1 right on the edge of the frame,possibly explaining why I have the
    round forcing cone. 64-1 thanks for the help !!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    64 is most definitely a K frame. It's the stainless equivalent of the model 10/M&P

You sure it's not a 65 - that being the .357 variant?

This page lists Smith and Wesson model variations and what the -numbers mean. The -1 means it went to a heavy barrel.

A couple of things, though:
    The Model 64 is a .38 Special, not a .357 magnum. As Bigslug pointed out, that's the Model 65.
    The Model 64-1 was introduced in 1972. Not before 1966.
    Unless we each conform, unless we obey orders, unless we follow our leaders blindly, there is no possible way we can remain free. - Maj. Frank Burns

Thanks, I may be a little off on the years, could have been early 70's My Father was a fireman and belonged to the same union as the police in Miami, its possible he got the gun through his police buddies in the union, in those days buying a gun wasn't the big deal it has become today . One thing for sure the gun will be passed on and stay in the family
    Quote Originally Posted by breamfisher View Post
    This page lists Smith and Wesson model variations and what the -numbers mean. The -1 means it went to a heavy barrel.

A couple of things, though:
    The Model 64 is a .38 Special, not a .357 magnum. As Bigslug pointed out, that's the Model 65.
    The Model 64-1 was introduced in 1972. Not before 1966.