Thread: Kel-tec pmc-30

Kel-tec pmc-30

Just talked with the police chief about the K-T PMC30, 30 rds. of .22 WMR in a small light carry pistol, i know they had some problems with the early one's feeding that they have cleared up, and they dont recomend using Armscor/fiocchi ammo. I know that my PC is going to get one, do'es anyone here have any experance with them.

JAY

Re: Kel-tec pmc-30

They had problems with the early ones that were fitted with slow twist barrels that caused keyholing. They also had some other problems and stopped shipping for a few months while they sorted everything out. I've been on the waiting list going on about a year now.
    A lion does not concern himself with the opinions of sheep.

Saw one on the case at the range last week. Looks interesting and price didn't seem too bad.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho

Quote Originally Posted by jaywapti View Post
    Just talked with the police chief about the K-T PMC30, 30 rds. of .22 WMR in a small light carry pistol, i know they had some problems with the early one's feeding that they have cleared up, and they dont recomend using Armscor/fiocchi ammo. I know that my PC is going to get one, do'es anyone here have any experance with them.

JAY
    I don't understand, can you explain ????

What is the purpose ??? off duty carry ? special purpose duty carry ??? Detectives ? undercover use ? narcotics ops ?? CCW ??

Out of such a short pistol barrel will it perform much better than a high velocity .22 LR or just waste unburned powder ??

I could see it as an entry carbine with at least a 10 inch barrel.
    Last edited by DoctorWho; 02-14-2012 at 07:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorWho View Post
    I don't understand, can you explain ????

What is the purpose ??? off duty carry ? special purpose duty carry ??? Detectives ? undercover use ? narcotics ops ?? CCW ??

Out of such a short pistol barrel will it perform much better than a high velocity .22 LR or just waste unburned powder ??

I could see it as an entry carbine with at least a 10 inch barrel.

Purpose--- ccw & off duty cary

fired out of a 2" bbl Taurus

CCI 40gr jhp 1090fps
    CCI 30gr jhp 1301fps
    Win 40gr jhp 1123fps
    Fed 40gr fmj 1075fps

JAY

What is the purpose ???
    alligator hunting
    Division one critter rescue team leader.

Quote Originally Posted by NN View Post
    alligator hunting
    Better off with a revolver in .44 special.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you The Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996

Better off with a revolver in .44 special.
    I have a Charter Arms Bulldog in 44 spc and a 38, 9mm, and 45. The thing that interested me was it's small and lite, can be carried in a coat or jacket pocket, recoil recovery time would be quicker, the fact it has 30 rounds. Just something to think about.

JAY

And I thought that fiveseven was ugly. hope it comes with a paper bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle BS View Post
    And I thought that fiveseven was ugly. hope it comes with a paper bag.
    With a 4.3 inch something inch barrel, I can't see it doing much better than a comparable gun in .22 LR, perhaps bullet type gives better performance ??
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you The Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996

With a 4.3 inch something inch barrel, I can't see it doing much better than a comparable gun in .22 LR, perhaps bullet type gives better performance ??
    The next one will be chambered in .204 Ruger. Its not about muzzle velocity, its all about the blast of unspent powder leaving the muzzle.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle BS View Post
    The next one will be chambered in .204 Ruger. Its not about muzzle velocity, its all about the blast of unspent powder leaving the muzzle.

That was the purpose of the AMT Automag in .30 cal carbine, if the round did not get the bad guy, the fireball might wow him enough to make him flee for his very life.
    Also to annoy the living snot out of everyone else at the range before the RSO kicks you out.

I used to shout: "You otta heah boy !!!!"

That was the purpose of the AMT Automag in .30 cal carbine, if the round did not get the bad guy, the fireball might wow him enough to make him flee for his very life.
    Also to annoy the living snot out of everyone else at the range before the RSO kicks you out.

I used to shout: "You otta heah boy !!!!"
    I own and have set aside an AMT Auto Mag III in .30 Carbine for my nephew to pick up. True it is "Loud" and has some ferocious muzzle blast, but if proper hearing and eye protection are being worn as they should be by everyone on the range, it's no worse than a 3" or 4" .357 loaded with 2400 powder max loads.
    I think the muzzle blast just scares people off. In other words its bark is worse than its bite, so to speak.

People see the flash and think its some sort of Super magnum, it's not.

Also, the .22 Magnum from a handgun (6" bbl) gives about the same velocity as a .22 LR from a rifle, but with a 40 (nominal) grain bullet. Now even 50 grainers are available in the .22 Mag, as well as lighter 30/33 grainers with TNT or Gold Dot bullets.

What I'd like to know is what velocity this pistol has with the 40 grain bullets? No cylinder to forcing cone/barrel gap to lose velocity should give it a slight boost like shooting .45 ACP from a 1911 vs a revolver.

I know the BEST results for the .22 Magnum and the .30 Carbine are acheived using the rifles/carbines the cartridge was designed to give optimal performance out of.

I think a comapny called Grendal in FLA had a 30 shot .22 Magnum on the market years ago, it also had some issues.
    Last edited by Big Chief; 02-16-2012 at 09:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Chief View Post
    I own and have set aside an AMT Auto Mag III in .30 Carbine for my nephew to pick up. True it is "Loud" and has some ferocious muzzle blast, but if proper hearing and eye protection are being worn as they should be by everyone on the range, it's no worse than a 3" or 4" .357 loaded with 2400 powder max loads.
    I think the muzzle blast just scares people off. In other words its bark is worse than its bite, so to speak.

People see the flash and think its some sort of Super magnum, it's not.

Also, the .22 Magnum from a handgun (6" bbl) gives about the same velocity as a .22 LR from a rifle, but with a 40 (nominal) grain bullet. Now even 50 grainers are available in the .22 Mag, as well as lighter 30/33 grainers with TNT or Gold Dot bullets.

What I'd like to know is what velocity this pistol has with the 40 grain bullets? No cylinder to forcing cone/barrel gap to lose velocity should give it a slight boost like shooting .45 ACP from a 1911 vs a revolver.

I know the BEST results for the .22 Magnum and the .30 Carbine are acheived using the rifles/carbines the cartridge was designed to give optimal performance out of.

I think a comapny called Grendal in FLA had a 30 shot .22 Magnum on the market years ago, it also had some issues.
    While I still drool over the AMT, anything in .22 magnum gets a big MEH / WOOF from Me as und uber expensive plinker, for that I would rather an AR carbine of some sort.

It ain't "Cheap" to shoot either, compared to regular .22 LR ammo. Went from $5-7 per # 50 to $9-13 depending on what brand/bullet.

I thunk Hornady is making a "Personal Defense" .22 Magnum ammo now too.

What I meant in above post is that the AMT/.22 MAG outta handguns is loud and has quite a "Crack", but it ain't no worse than a muzzle brake/BOSS on a rifle and brake/slotted-ported handguns that spew blast into adjacent shooters lanes and are very loud.

And I think folks assume they are more "Powerful" because that are such attention getters on the range, when in reality both cartridges lose quite a bit effectiveness in handguns. However, it is the fun factor for the shooter that makes them desirable!
    Last edited by Big Chief; 02-16-2012 at 11:27 PM.

I think it would be a fun gun to have, but I see it as more of a novelty than anything else. With a barrel that short you aren't gaining much beyond higher noise, muzzle flash, and cost by using a .22 WMR over a .22 LR. I would like to see some higher capacity .22 LR pistols, but I guess they are difficult to make function reliably.

If they come out with a 6" version, they might have my attention. Until then my 8 3/8" Smith and Wesson 48-4 will do the job I need a .22 WMR handgun to do quite well.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C

I always chuckle when I see those tiny short barreled NAA revolvers in .22 WMR, I had one in .22 LR, but I have reservations about .22 WMR in such short barrels.

Most likely .22 shorts are best out of such tiny short barreled guns such as the NAA mini revolvers.

I always chuckle when I see those tiny short barreled NAA revolvers in .22 WMR, I had one in .22 LR, but I have reservations about .22 WMR in such short barrels.

Most likely .22 shorts are best out of such tiny short barreled guns such as the NAA mini revolvers.
    I once ran a penetration test comparing .22 Mag out of a mini revolver to .22 LR out of an Iver Johnson TP22 to .22 Short out of a Beretta Minx. The results? The LR penetrated most, the Short came in second, and the Mag was last.