Thread: Firearms made in the USA?

Firearms made in the USA?

Are there any US Firearms Manufacturers left that just manufacture firearms in the good old USA and not import them? I believe Ruger is all US made.

Re: Firearms made in the USA?

I want to say Smith and Wesson.

There is also the various higher end 1911 makers (STI, Kimber, Wilson, Ed Brown, etc)

Also Remington, on most of their lineup.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C

Is Colt and Remington all US made?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by shotgunshooter3 View Post
    I want to say Smith and Wesson.
    Everyone knows they're made in Brazil , by Taurus , and simply marked by S&W! That's what Marcas Registradas means!

The REAL Smith & Wessons simply said ''Made in USA''.

Last edited by mkk41; 02-18-2012 at 12:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mkk41 View Post
    Everyone knows they're made in Brazil , by Taurus , and simply marked by S&W! That's what Marcas Registradas means!

The REAL Smith & Wessons simply said ''Made in USA''.

Is S&W now made outside the US? Their website reads Made in USA?

Who makes US Military small arms?

Colt
    S&W
    Savage,
    Kahr
    Thompson/Center
    Auto Ord.
    Kimber
    Henry Repeating Arms
    STI
    Bond Arms
    Heiser
    LaRue Tactical
    Charter Arms
    Entreprise Arms
    SVI
    Kel-Tec
    Caspian
    Ruger
    Heritage
    Double Star
    Stag
    Spikes Tactical
    Freedom Arms
    Bushmaster

Man, I could go on for a while, but those are the ones off the top of my head that are US made. True, some may have a import model or two, but for the most part, they are US made.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

Quote Originally Posted by woodsrunner View Post
    FN (M16A2/A4, M249, M240, etc) in a US plant in South Carolina

Colt (M4, M203?)

Beretta (M9, in a US plant)

Sig (M11, which is just a Sig 228)
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by woodsrunner View Post
    Part of the US DoD contract bid process means MOST defense related stuff like firearms supplied to the US armed forces are to be made in the US. M-16s by FNs plant down south(SC?) , M-4s by Colt in CT , Beretta M-9s from Berettas plant in MD. SIG in NH.

Foreign companies can compete and bid , but they must have manufacturing plants on US soil.

Special forces can purchase foreign (ally) made stuff , like German-made HKs.

There's a new stamping on guns made since 2008:

"Made in USA- - -smuggled to Mexico by BATFE"
    Jerry
    "We have met the enemy, and he is us!" Pogo

Winchester's are MADE in North Carolina, but they're now owned by a European maker. Some models of CZ guns, are made in Kansas City, but again owned by a European company.

Why the need/desire for USA made guns anyways? Guns were not invented, developed, turned into an art, modernized, perfected, or anything, in the USA. American gun makers, if anything, dumbed down the gun market by making things cheaper, and cheaper, and cheaper. Sure they had a great thing going a few generations ago....but in the mid 60's on forward, it became how can we make more of these, cheaper, and faster, and still charge high prices.

Kimber rifles - MANY issues and horrible customer service (they make YOU pay shipping to and from, even if it is THEIR problem being fixed) for 1000$ rifles.

Remington - cheap safeties that helped contribute to the guns firing without the trigger being pulled. The 710/770, made as cheaply as possible, with as cheap of materials, and pushed on the unknowing masses as "quality".

Savage - use of the ugly barrel nut to make slapping together rifles fast and cheap without needing expert gunsmiths, screw em on with a go/no go gauge.

H&R - cheaply made guns with not the greatest fitment or quality materials

Ruger - The new American rifle, same as the Rem 710/770

Sure some are still making great products here, but they cost an arm and a leg. I'm not saying we should all go out and buy some Chinese Norinco's or anything...but honestly, my Japanese made guns have been 100% reliable, and extremely accurate. They cost less then all American rifles of the quality. I have handled many fine British and German built hunting rifles, they are truly works of art. Perfect fit, attention to every single little detail, no rough spots, no machine marks...I mean personally I love, shoot, and mostly own Winchester M70's, but it isn't because they're American, its because I just love their guns.
    Last edited by MileHighShooter; 02-18-2012 at 03:56 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.

THere a still plenty of well-made American firearms out there. However, it is extremely hard to completely eliminate SOME level of foregin influence. As MHS pointed out, Winchesters are made in NC, but owned from outside the US. Even hen it comes to little things, you can usually find SOME level of foreign parts of manufacturing. For instance, my Ruger SR22's carry pouch clearly says "Made in China" on it. That siad, the vast majority of what Ruger puts out is made in the good 'ol US of A and I like that.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

Golly...you guys forgot Hi-Point!
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawker View Post
    Golly...you guys forgot Hi-Point!
    At least, we're trying to...

Quote Originally Posted by MileHighShooter View Post
    Winchester's are MADE in North Carolina, but they're now owned by a European maker. Some models of CZ guns, are made in Kansas City, but again owned by a European company.

Why the need/desire for USA made guns anyways? Guns were not invented, developed, turned into an art, modernized, perfected, or anything, in the USA. American gun makers, if anything, dumbed down the gun market by making things cheaper, and cheaper, and cheaper. Sure they had a great thing going a few generations ago....but in the mid 60's on forward, it became how can we make more of these, cheaper, and faster, and still charge high prices.

Kimber rifles - MANY issues and horrible customer service (they make YOU pay shipping to and from, even if it is THEIR problem being fixed) for 1000$ rifles.

Remington - cheap safeties that helped contribute to the guns firing without the trigger being pulled. The 710/770, made as cheaply as possible, with as cheap of materials, and pushed on the unknowing masses as "quality".

Savage - use of the ugly barrel nut to make slapping together rifles fast and cheap without needing expert gunsmiths, screw em on with a go/no go gauge.

H&R - cheaply made guns with not the greatest fitment or quality materials

Ruger - The new American rifle, same as the Rem 710/770

Sure some are still making great products here, but they cost an arm and a leg. I'm not saying we should all go out and buy some Chinese Norinco's or anything...but honestly, my Japanese made guns have been 100% reliable, and extremely accurate. They cost less then all American rifles of the quality. I have handled many fine British and German built hunting rifles, they are truly works of art. Perfect fit, attention to every single little detail, no rough spots, no machine marks...I mean personally I love, shoot, and mostly own Winchester M70's, but it isn't because they're American, its because I just love their guns.
    That's true, but I don't really mind the barrel nut so much. It's easier to set the head space with it so it's all good. That and the floating bolt head are conducive to accuracy that you normally can't find on a production line these days.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

normally, i would go for the Made in the USA.

but when it comes to toys, im more open to other countries technology and designs.
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt

Heck even the pre-64's and 1903's I have....are basically copies of German design from 1898. And then again, all those CRF Rugers are more or less copies of a German designed and built gun from 1896. Really, just speaking about sporting rifles, the only thing American companies have done is figure out a way to cut corners in production.

Handguns I'm not even familiar with at all anymore, stopped paying attention long ago. I know someone will think hey my XD is AWESOME (it is) and its a Springfield, that means its made right here in the US of A (it's not). The original S&W Sigma was law-suited out of existence because it was found to infringe on Glock copyrights.

Again, NOT knocking well made American guns or anything really. I guess I just don't see why some people want American made so much, in guns and every other aspect. I guess I can see how some would say repairs and such..but I'd rather buy a good product I don't expect to repair, not buy something just because if it needs to be fixed it'll be quicker lol

edited to add - however, a lot of our MILITARY rifles, are IMO above the rest. The M1, M14, M16, M2....some great toys right there.
    Last edited by MileHighShooter; 02-18-2012 at 06:19 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.

I appreciate everyones input. Actually I have nothing against foreign made firearms and I personally own a Glock in addition to Remington, Ruger, Mossberg and Marlin firearms. I do however try to buy American made when possible. I purchased my Glock back before all the other manufacturers started making similar pistols and I still think it is one of the most reliable pistols out there. I was just real curious who was left that actually manufactures in the USA and who manufactures 100% in the USA and I know there are a host of really knowledgeable firearms people that input into this forum. Thanks again for your input.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MileHighShooter View Post

So why are they so darn accurate?

IMO Glock got it right the first time, and everyone else is trying to catch up in regards to polymer framed "service pistols." I just can't forgive the long trigger reset on the M&P and XD series. I wish Glock would take a hint and introduce a "reduced grip angle" series that more mimicked the 1911, but I guess they sell enough as is that they don't bother.