Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm looking to buy new CCW 9mm compact...please advise

I'm looking to buy new CCW 9mm compact...please advise

I currently have a solid stainless, Walther PPK-S as my primary carry weapon. The magazine holds 7+1 rounds. I want to get a new, lighter weight compact 9mm that holds at least 10+1 rounds. I went to "CheaperThanDirt.com" just to get a reference for handguns that are selling for $400.00 or less, and found a list of the manufacturers that fit into the category that I am looking for. Mostly in order of price (low to high) is the following list:
    SCCY Industries
    Kel-Tek
    Cobra Enterprises
    Taurus
    Smith & Wesson
    Century Arms
    Diamondback
    Kahr Arms
    Bersa
    FNH
    Ruger
    EAA

I am interested in your opinions of the brands with the best quality and features for the money, and which brands to stay away from and why. I am willing to spend up to $400 for a decent gun, but cheaper is always good too.
    These shoulder-mounted copulatory organs are at it again.
    The Democrat Party reminds me of a horde of dung beetles scavenging
    through a load of animal droppings looking for food and shelter.

Re: I'm looking to buy new CCW 9mm compact...please advise

The only one on your list that I have any experiance with is the Ruger SR9c and I am pleased with mine.
    I have over 1000 rounds through mine with zero failures.
    It has an external safety that I see as a plus,A loaded chamber indicator that at first I did not like and was going to disable but now I see it as a plus also.
    The one thing that most here do not like is the mag disconect,and I understand their concerns but in some ways I can see it as a plus also.For example if a BG is trying to wrestle my gun from my I might just drop the mag let him have the useless gun and go for my bug or knife.
    The one thing I don't like is the ambidextrous mag rel,I had to modify a kydex holster because when I sat down the edge of the holster hit on the mag rel and would pop the mag part way out.I have thought about grinding the button on the right side flush with the frame so that could never happen again.
    All in all I like the gun alot and carry it every day.However it was $500
    USMC 80-84
    9-11-14 -75lbs

I've been favorably impressed by the couple of Ruger SR9's that I've shot - 1911 style safety operation, not much extraneous trigger movement, a pretty low bore axis, and you aren't diving into Brand X territory.
    WWJMBD?

Ok, so .277 is the number of The Beast. This makes The Beast. . .what. . .a chihuahua?

Banned

I really love my CZ 75P-01 "compact". I love the "14 round mag capacity". Very accurate and definitely a well made pistol. Take a look at one and I think you will agree.

Try some of Khar's compacts, now on sale at around $370 or so.

I have shot my buddy's P9 and its a fine gun but I thought the OP wanted a dbl stack 10 rnd gun.
    USMC 80-84
    9-11-14 -75lbs

The one thing you may have to compromise on is mag capacity. Most of the smaller compact 9's are single stack with 6-7 rnd capacity. Of your list i'd look at kahr, keltec, and ruger.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho

Quote Originally Posted by alphasigmookie View Post
    The one thing you may have to compromise on is mag capacity. Most of the smaller compact 9's are single stack with 6-7 rnd capacity. Of your list i'd look at kahr, keltec, and ruger.
    Except for the Keltec and Ruger part. Kahr.

Khar !!

Or Khaaaaaaaaannnn !!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gator View Post
    I have shot my buddy's P9 and its a fine gun but I thought the OP wanted a dbl stack 10 rnd gun.
    He did sorta say that. Knocks the Kahr out of the running eh? That is not so good.

Whats a Glock 26 go for? EERRR $499 at Buds...

Still were it me AND I wanted lighter weight I would go with the Kahr CW9. $362 at Buds. You might want even smaller in which case I would go with the CM9, $399 at Buds. The CW9 is 7+1 and the CM9 is 6+1. I prefer the K9 myself but the wife has a CW9 and it aint gettin sold if I have anything to do with it.
    Last edited by tv_racin_fan; 02-21-2012 at 08:14 AM.

Used to own a Kahr and it was a great little pistol; sold it when S&W brought out their M&P Compact, which the Wife soon appropriated for her own CCW use. Now my only compact 9mm is my Kel-Tec P9, which is a lot lighter and a bit thinner than the Kahr, but which has been every bit as reliable. It's my regular hot-weather carry.

Quote Originally Posted by BPsniper View Post
    Off your list, my choice would be Kahr.
    Yup. The Kahr MK9 is my choice as a deep carry gun.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

Thanks for your suggestions. I like the Kahr and Kel-Tek models, but I really want to try and get something with the 10+1 round capacity, so I'll have to weigh all factors and make a decision. Is there anything bad about S&W? They have a model that can hold 10+1 rounds.

At 10+1 you're probably looking at glock, m&p, xd, sr9 compacts. All are great pistols from my understanding, just a matter or preference. Those will all probably be in the 450-550 range new though , but may be able to find a deal on a used model.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho

Plenty of good quality compact 9mm pistols out there, the problem you face is having time to look at all the possibles.

I got my girlfriend a nice Kahr P9. It's comfy to shoot, reliable, accurate, good looking, and price was reasonable. But there are many other fine pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by gator View Post
    The only one on your list that I have any experiance with is the Ruger SR9c and I am pleased with mine..........However it was $500
    I like the Ruger SR9c a lot. Looks nice and seems to have a lot of nice features, especially that it will take a 10 and a 17 round magazine...that's what I'm talkin' about! Cheaper Than Dirt sells it for $390.50. Unfortunately, the 5 different models they have of the SR9c are all out of stock.

Reminds Me of the old gun shop joke, sure, We sell X model gun at that price too, when it is out of stock.........

In a 10+1, I would go XD sub-compact in the just over $400 category. I have a CZ RAMI that is a great shooting compact, if you like DA/SA. Mine had feed problems, but a trip to the factory fixed that and I think the newer models are OK.

I carry a Kahr K-40 when I want something smaller. It is the all steel version of their popular P-Models. I also have a K-9, with CT Lasergrips that is a very fine carry pistol. But, I hear a lot of good things about the Keltec P-9 (single stack), and if all of those things are true, it's the best bargain out there.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorWho View Post
    Reminds Me of the old gun shop joke, sure, We sell X model gun at that price too, when it is out of stock.........
    Do you think that's a marketing ploy?

That is My take on it.

Unless I find a better deal, I'm probably going to go with the Kel-Tec P11HC @ $309.00. It has the features I'm looking for, and it's not terribly expensive. I could spend more, but I'm inclined to try and get the best quality I can for the least amount of money...and this store is within a half-hour drive from me. I don't have to bother with internet shopping. Here's a link:

http://www.shoot-straight.com/p-121-p11hc.aspx

I saw it cheaper !!!

Buds has it cheaper at $ 244 shipped to your FFL.

The Kel-Tec is a good choice, or start looking for a cheap used Glock 19 if capacity is your primary criteria. They can be found well below $400 if you take your time.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=274672958

Luis

I stopped at the local shop yesterday while out runnin an errand.

I checked out a couple of Glocks then remarked I dont see the appeal. The guy said you would if you shot one. I simply said meh, it don't fit my hand. he said then buy something that does and he can't shoot a Sig because it don't fit his hand. I carry the Kahr K9 but just to be flat honest it don't fit my hand exactly either. However it is a tad small which I can fix where the Glock felt a bit thick.

I need to get my wifes CW9 to the range since I added one of those grip sleaves to see if it feels better in my hand while shooting. The CW is just a tad bit thinner than the K9 in the grip.

I passed on the Keltec P-11, before I started buying Kahrs (I have had a PM-9 and a P-45 that I traded for the K-40 and K-9), because at the time, quite a few of them were known to have feed problems that the P-9 apparently was not having. That may have been corrected, but I'm still leery about them.

As for 'fitting my hand,' I don't worry about that so much any more, if it is a good shooter, because a good grip and enough practice will make a compact work well enough, in my experience. The Kahrs have a short trigger reach, which makes it hard for a person with big hands to master, but after spending many range sessions learning to shoot the Ruger LCP, which is even smaller, the Kahrs work well enough for a small pistol. I no longer carry the LCP, or any other .380, but the Kahrs now fit within my comfort zone.

In my opinion, a compact pistol is just something to get by with, when I can't carry something that I shoot better, like an XD or 1911.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorWho View Post
    I saw it cheaper !!! Buds has it cheaper at $ 244 shipped to your FFL.
    I'm assuming you're talking about budsgunshop.com. I went there, and the specific model I want with the 10+1 capacity and the hard-chrome slide is $277 and out of stock. I think the one you zeroed in on at their list was the black model P-11 for $242.

BTW, do you have any idea how much the FFL transfer fees are in general. I realize different dealers will have different fees, but I just need an approximation so I can decide if it's worth going through the wait and the extra effort for the savings.

Quote Originally Posted by tv_racin_fan View Post
    ......I carry the Kahr K9 but just to be flat honest it don't fit my hand exactly either. However it is a tad small which I can fix where the Glock felt a bit thick.......
    Fitting my hand is something I need to be concerned about. I'm 6'2", and have big hands and feet, so I'll definitely need to hold one in the "flesh." My current CCW, as I mentioned in the OP is a Walther PPK .380, so I'll have to compare the amount of grip I can attain with the Kel-Tek, as opposed to the Walther.

Quote Originally Posted by Make_My_Day View Post

BTW, do you have any idea how much the FFL transfer fees are in general.
    It is COMPLETELY dependent on the dealer. Just among the few local dealers, price for a transfer can range from $25 to $100

Only way I know to find out is call them up, "Hi, I was wondering what you charge for a FFL transfer? (their answer) Thank you and have a nice day. Goodbye"
    When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. It is only difficult for others.

It is the same when you are STUPID.

Quote Originally Posted by knitepoet View Post
    It is COMPLETELY dependent on the dealer. Just among the few local dealers, price for a transfer can range from $25 to $100. Only way I know to find out is call them up.....
    Yeah, I will definitely call if I decide to go that route. Internet gun stores have a link to find area FFL's. $25 would be worth the effort, but not $100, in my case. I guess it would depend on the difference of the cost of the gun on the internet and buying at the LGS.

I pay $25 for one transfer, and if I order two firearms the first is $25 and each additional gun is $20.

Well so many people say the Keltec trigger is reaslly heavy, is there a way to fix that ?
    Last edited by DoctorWho; 02-23-2012 at 02:54 AM.